What constitutes a Syracuse hoops legend? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What constitutes a Syracuse hoops legend?

A legend. Doesn't always mean the best. Can also include perception. Someone that is adored and talked about more than any other. In our lifetimes and in the context of SU basketball, while we have had many great players, we have had 5 true legends.

Bing
Pearl
Coleman
Melo
GMac

A legend. Doesn't always mean the best. Can also include perception. Someone that is adored and talked about more than any other. In our lifetimes and in the context of SU basketball, while we have had many great players, we have had 5 true legends.

Bing
Pearl
Coleman
Melo
GMac
I like how concise this list is. What keeps Bouie/Louie as an entity off your list?

here's another way to judge a player's legendary status, since as discussed by others playing ability is only part of the tale.

my mother has lived in cuse for about 50 years. she cares nothing for pop culture or sports so if she knows them, they have a good degree of "legend status."

to give some perspective, way back when Coach Mac was fresh on the campus (under 3 months into his tenure and there had been a ton of local media surrounding his arrival) my mother and he were seated next to each other at a luncheon. my mother, ever the polite conversationalist, asked him what he did for a living at which point Coach said "I see we'll have nothing to talk about" and turned his back to her. To this day, whenever they see each other, Coach comes over and introduces himself as Jim Boeheim

Point is my mother knows who GMac is. thus - Legendary Cuse Player. She would also know DC1, Rony, Carmelo and a few scattered others. Warrick would be a no.

To me legends are about memorable acts and performances, not stats. Memorable acts are famous. I wish HOFs were more about legendary actions instead of career stats.

That is your opinion and that is rational and perfectly sound. A lot of people who disagree with everything I say agreed with you so that made me laugh.
I don't think GMac is a legend in my book. He is a great player and somebody who gave us everything he had for 4 years. We can agree to disagree he had a lot of great moments. I personally have a threshold like the baseball HOF I feel legends are the creme de la creme. I feel GMac is just below that.

tptgeek said:
I like how concise this list is. What keeps Bouie/Louie as an entity off your list?

No disrespect to Louie and Bouie but I wanted to keep it somewhat short and not list every great player. The ones I picked in some way transcended their abilities and were more than household names outside the syracuse fan base.

No disrespect to Louie and Bouie but I wanted to keep it somewhat short and not list every great player. The ones I picked in some way transcended their abilities and were more than household names outside the syracuse fan base.
Makes sense. I guess in my mind, those two transformed Syracuse at the time and were nationally known. But it might be because that was when I first started going to games as a kid. I am curious what others think of including them as legends as a duo.

Only one Syracuse player has ever bobbled his head on Dwight K. Schrute's desk.
I think you know that is because the Office takes place from Scranton,PA and that is GMac's hometown.

That would be like saying only basketball coach has his poster in Ron Swanson's office Bobby Knight