What did Boeheim say | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What did Boeheim say

Lots of bickering going on in here. Yikes.

22-o, gang.

[quote="CaptainJ, post: Maybe we can commission Lawrinson to adapt it into to the Apotheosis of Boeheim.

4963george_zpsb08e9f49.jpg

And then have the Lawrinsoned version painted on the inside of the dome ...

[/quote]

It was just so stupid and the distraction could have had bad consequences.
It possibly did. Maybe he would've broken the record.

Scoring stats like that are best left for after the game or as part of a ceremonial substitution.

I remember when Sean McDonough was the PA announcer at soccer games in the dome. I was manning the substitution horn for some of those games. Ahhh... the good old days. :)

Veley didn't just do it once - he made at least 5 or 6 announcements during play about Cooney. I was shocked he did that. If Cooney had cooled off I bet JB would have really blasted him. It was just plain stupid.
Not to mention it's classless and disrespectful to the opponent.

Remember JB's 900th win? With about 10 minutes left Veley tells fans to stay after the game for special ceremony honoring Boeheim's 900th win. Detroit immediately comes back from 22 down and cuts it to 3. I think that was the worst one ever.

ClamOtto said:
Remember JB's 900th win? With about 10 minutes left Veley tells fans to stay after the game for special ceremony honoring Boeheim's 900th win. Detroit immediately comes back from 22 down and cuts it to 3. I think that was the worst one ever.

Things like this are awful.

Don't see a problem with him pumping up the crowd letting us know Cooney tied a big record or other things.

But yeah, predicting outcomes is dumb and classless.

That was terrible. The ushers were handing out the Boeheim 900 heads on a stick that game too before it was over.

He has never understood that PA announcers are not play by play announcers.

My advice to Mike:

Less is more. Know your place and please stop embarrassing the Syracuse program and annoying the fans with your shameless attempts to bring attention to yourself.

The saddest thing is that he is a professor and teaches at Newhouse.

I have never seen more face time for a PA announcer than I have for him, I don't think, for any team I follow. Didn't he also annoy some players with the nicknames he was using? For some reason I seem to remember him angering Craig Forth.

Not to mention it's classless and disrespectful to the opponent.
I'm pretty sure he was still talking while ND was shooting free throws at least once. Less is more.

She's an alumna.

Boeheim's an alumnus.

Basic stuff. That the voice of an institution of higher education would mix that up is disappointing; that he'd do it during a rare live television feed in front of millions of people is embarrassing and reflects poorly on the university.
Correct.

Alumnus--alumni

Alumna--alumnae

Even someone who never took Latin (me) has learned this.

Some of the blame also has to go to whoever was feeding him stat updates. I imagine someone must have been his spotter in terms of stats, career highs, etc.?

Am I the only one who doesn't even notice him during the game? I'm usually busy talking about the game with whomever came to the game with me and screaming my head off when I'm not doing that. I couldn't care less what the PA dude is saying.

jekelish said:
Some of the blame also has to go to whoever was feeding him stat updates. I imagine someone must have been his spotter in terms of stats, career highs, etc.?

It's partially Cooney's fault also, for making all the 3's.

Thanks for the responses guys. Haven't been to the Dome in a couple of years so I can't say whether I've heard him do it or not. Either way, probably best to leave that type of stuff for time outs.

He's worse during football season. We wanted to sneak Broyld in at QB to run a few wildcat plays ... but not before Veley announces "Now playing QB for Syracuse ... Ashton Broyld". Oh Lord

He's worse during football season. We wanted to sneak Broyld in at QB to run a few wildcat plays ... but not before Veley announces "Now playing QB for Syracuse ... Ashton Broyld". Oh Lord

That's reason enough to pull the plug on the imbecile.

He's not the first PA announcer at the Dome to tip the opposition of a QB change.

Well there are probably several reasons not to do it, but I can imagine a guy getting on the PA system in Yankee Sradium in a 0-0 game in the 8th inning: "Hey fans, so-and-so is just 6 outs from a NO HITTER!!!"
or the Bat Boy putting the Bats away with 2 outs in the Ninth

Pretty sure a quarterback change isn't something that ever gets overlooked by defensive players or coaches. Agreed, there's no need to announce it, but we weren't going to slip that by anybody.

I vote we replace Mike Veley with Lester Isadore Moore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom