What did I do wrong at Cuse? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What did I do wrong at Cuse?

Is Harry's still open? That place was packed, messy, horrible bathrooms and I think they bought Beer at the drug store upstairs and re-sold it.

Yeah even Harry’s was dead before a lot of the games so far and that was surprising after being gone for 4 years before moving back. Kitty hoynes at night has been jammin and it’s a good Fall bar

every kid I know in college now wants to host a party once a semester to pay for rent.

Is Harry's still open? That place was packed, messy, horrible bathrooms and I think they bought Beer at the drug store upstairs and re-sold it.
It is. I actually went in there for maybe the 2nd time a few weeks ago. I actually couldn't believe how big it was. Had no idea. I think I went once max in 4 years at SU. Surprised it is not more popular.

Regarding campus bars in general-- unfortunately there just is not much selection. In my years (08-12), Chucks was the place and by far most popular. Also had Faegans (still there) which was mostly a mid week place. Then Lucy's (again mostly a mid-week place), Harry's, and DJs (named something else now) which was the place to pop into at 1:30am and pound a Molson XXX. Seems to me the most popular is Orange Crate. Students very much follow each other, which is why you'll see a 50 person deep line outside Crate and then a totally empty Faegans.

Greek life is also big at SU, so a lot of students just party there. And now with it being so easy to get to places downtown (Uber/Lyft), I am sure many venture there. I almost never went downtown when I was a student just because it was far enough to be annoying.

As a very recent graduate, Orange Crate basically has a monopoly on the student market. Students ONLY go there and if it’s too full or they can’t get in then they go elsewhere. No idea how it got that way but that’s what it is lol

drinking age has slowly killed the college bar seen and now its been like 40 yrs
That never stopped us in the 90's...bars were packed and the drinking age of 21 wasn't exactly new.

Only thing surprising to me is Colemans being dead on a Sat night

The bars on the hill? There's like 3. Students venture many other place

It didn't, but it's a lot different now. We're a long time away from using colored pencils to change dates on IDs and cops driving us home because we screwed up.
chalk and a fine tipped pen did the trick!

My pregame group is early 60s. We went to Sheraton for the last 20 years when not tailgating. We have been looking for new spot, the only pregame place that has been rocking has been Orange Crate. I like pregame somewhere in the middle …… crowded but not so much that it takes you 20 minutes to order a drink .
Was a big fan of the Sheraton bar pregame. RIP!!!

If the Marshall Street owners had any cache, they should petition to shut down the street for every football game and big basketball games. Treat it like a big time college town would.

That never stopped us in the 90's...bars were packed and the drinking age of 21 wasn't exactly new.
the 90s was before the cell phone facebook days as well

Kids are doing more off the book stuff than ever before. 100 at a house party is more the norm than going to a bar where 50% of the kids cant get in.

getting people to an event is so easy compared to word of mouth 30 yrs ago.

Many of the bars of the 90s were still around. They are slowly fading away

Our college town had like 10+ and is down to 1-2.

The off campus party scene is much bigger than when I went to SU (87-91). My daughter graduated in 2023 and lived off campus her last 2 years. We would park at her house for football games. Every 3rd house, it seemed, had lawn parties pre and post game.
There is also a really big underground music scene in the neighborhood east of campus on weekends with multiple basement "clubs". It seems highly illegal to me and is a disaster waiting to happen, but it is what it is.

I'm curious, have you or your daughter seen a homemade beer pong table top in the shape of an S floating around off campus?

Last time it was seen was 2015 or so. That was 3rd group to pass it down to someone.

I've made a few back then for cuse and my friends colleges and they've all held up pretty well. (Odds are thin, I know..a friend brought it up recently and thought I'd take a shot).

Kids are doing more off the book stuff than ever before. 100 at a house party is more the norm than going to a bar where 50% of the kids cant get in.

And kids are smarter, they're drinking sooooo much less.

There are plenty of fantastic bars around Syracuse. If the bars around campus are empty...that tells you more about the students than the bars themselves doesn't it?
It tells me that they don't mess around with Fake ID's like they use to as 75% of college kids are under the age of 21. College kids figure it out, where they can get in, where they can't, what times they can, what times they can't, who is working the door and who isn't.

It's not like it was 25-30 years ago

I was up at Oswego two years ago and for a town once known for its 150 bars, it's pretty sad to say that it is extremely limited on where to go. So, if Oswego has been affected that much, I'm sure most college towns are as well.

The technology is much better these days. Kids are still drinking and smoking weed, it's just different

When I was there in the early 2000’s the cops had raids pretty much every weekend. I think that’s what ended up shutting down half the bars on the hill.

there’s no good sports bars near downtown aside from Wolff’s and Blarney.

Colemans and Kitty’s arent sports bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom