What do we do now? | Syracusefan.com

What do we do now?

NKR1978

Living Legend
From Labor Day until now many of our lives are made significantly better (or worse) thanks to or because of Syracuse. It's been 3 years since we have had our season end this early and I feel worse now than last night.

I hope Ennis and Grant come back. They can both obviously use another year. Ennis needs to get physically stronger and both need to work on their jump shots. But if they're gone, I wish them well and just hoped it could have ended better.
Really hope JB evaluates why our offense has been so stagnant for most of the last two years and why so many inferior teams play us to the last possession.

I had thought this team would struggle early but pull it together and be the 4-5 seed that no one wanted to play. I was completely wrong. We were a team that at least for one night looked like the best team in college basketball and fell from a 1 to a soft 3 seed that everyone wanted to play. Still not sure if it was an epic fall or the good part was mostly smoke and mirrors and glue.

Also wonder if the staff made up of former players who revere JB is willing to tell him when he's wrong. A non-Syracuse alum as a dedicated big man coach might be what we need. I've been banging this drum a few times though and don't mean to sound like a broken record about it.

Seriously, the next week is going to be hard until I adjust to this fairly significant void in my life.

From Labor Day until now many of our lives are made significantly better (or worse) thanks to or because of Syracuse. It's been 3 years since we have had our season end this early and I feel worse now than last night.

I hope Ennis and Grant come back. They can both obviously use another year. Ennis needs to get physically stronger and both need to work on their jump shots. But if they're gone, I wish them well and just hoped it could have ended better.
Really hope JB evaluates why our offense has been so stagnant for most of the last two years and why so many inferior teams play us to the last possession.

I had thought this team would struggle early but pull it together and be the 4-5 seed that no one wanted to play. I was completely wrong. We were a team that at least for one night looked like the best team in college basketball and fell from a 1 to a soft 3 seed that everyone wanted to play. Still not sure if it was an epic fall or the good part was mostly smoke and mirrors and glue.

Also wonder if the staff made up of former players who revere JB is willing to tell him when he's wrong. A non-Syracuse alum as a dedicated big man coach might be what we need. I've been banging this drum a few times though and don't mean to sound like a broken record about it.

Seriously, the next week is going to be hard until I adjust to this fairly significant void in my life.
Grant is not just a bad 3 pt shooter - he doesn't even attempt them. It is simply not something he needs to work on; he needs to add it to his arsenal entirely.
I have never seen a player so cognizant of making sure he is inside the line.

Lacrosse man...but yeah, for me every end of the bball season is hard to take.

I feel you man. There is an empty feeling right now - and it's going to be this way for some time. To start 25-0 and go completely in the opposite direction so fast (even with the signs of problems during the run) is difficult.

wallacecuse said:
Lacrosse man...but yeah, for me every end of the bball season is hard to take.

Get into lax a bit during the NCAA and love that we have the greatest program in the NCAA era, but it isn't the same.

until we can man up and destroy inferior teams we:ll struggle. until we can get 4 points from two five star recruits, we'll struggle. dino must go.

I honestly think Ennis is gone unless he pulls a Gary Harris.
Grant is gone IMO he hasn't said anything publicly which leads me to believe he is gone.
For the rest of the team JB needs to develop the freaking talent on this roster. We wasted 4 guys and we need an assistant on this roster to develop our bigs. If McCollough isn't ready at the beginning next year JB needs to either go after a 5th yr 1 year rental a la Anthony Lee or eat early season losses and develop what he has.

Having only former guards as the assistants doesn't seem to be helping our bigs get better, that's for sure. You would at least think they could teach our current guards how to properly feed the post instead of just ignoring it.

Enjoy the best time of year... Spring/Summer

Hope that our hc decides to focus his immense talent on how to get his team to put the ball in the hope more often. If he can't then we will have a repeat of this season next season and I will watch even fewer games than I did this year because frankly it's boring.

I feel you man. There is an empty feeling right now - and it's going to be this way for some time. To start 25-0 and go completely in the opposite direction so fast (even with the signs of problems during the run) is difficult.
That's what makes it hard for me, the 25-0 start. I had big ideas. I don't know how you go from 25 straight to not being able to win consecutively for the last month of the year.

andyw715 said:
My 7 yo daughter and I watched the game, she was sad to see Cuse lose and the season be over. But then she went upstairs and played with legos.

I think I'm going to play with legos.

This isn't a summer long void. Just an issue until the end of the tournament. It truly is just basketball, but the day after the last loss is always one of the worst days of the year for me.

That's what makes it hard for me, the 25-0 start. I had big ideas. I don't know how you go from 25 straight to not being able to win consecutively for the last month of the year.

The high we were all on during the run was historic, as was the complete and epic meltdown. The other thing that really gets me is the fact this is a real down year in college basketball. Cuse had major flaws, but on any given night could beat anybody -- or lose to anybody. We all had hoped the ship could have been righted come tourney time. We had faith given the results of the last few years. And now it feels like we've been hit with a brick to the face (and I guess brick is the appropriate word).

My guess from reading the tea leaves is Ennis and Grant will be back. If that happens, next season should be a lot like 11-12. Until then can we get some sun in upstate New York. Nothing like waking up a week before April seeing snow in what it seems like another January day.

My guess from reading the tea leaves is Ennis and Grant will be back. If that happens, next season should be a lot like 11-12. Until then can we get some sun in upstate New York. Nothing like waking up a week before April seeing snow in what it seems like another January day.
What tea leaves are their on Grant. He hasn't said anything publicly. Ennis stock is high now and I don't see him going top 5 whenever goes out. I don't see why people expect him back. Ennis is a top 10 pick and doesn't have much more ceiling than now. He is a smart PG and can score if needs to take over. I would be shocked if either comes back. I hope they do but I don't expect either to do so.

I don't know either of them, but I don't think the pressure is on so much for Jerami given his NBA family. His dad and uncle should be able to help him through the process. Does he want to learn on a NBA bench/d league, or come back and learn at a potential top 5 team next year (and possibly improve his draft stock)? I have to think Ennis took a draft stock hit - but I could be wrong. But I think if Ennis comes back next year, he has to work on increasing the tempo of the game at times.

What tea leaves are their on Grant. He hasn't said anything publicly. Ennis stock is high now and I don't see him going top 5 whenever goes out. I don't see why people expect him back. Ennis is a top 10 pick and doesn't have much more ceiling than now. He is a smart PG and can score if needs to take over. I would be shocked if either comes back. I hope they do but I don't expect either to do so.

Quotes from JB. Comments I've heard from respected people on here and around the University. The same thing is going to happen with them that happens to every Syracuse player. Coach will sit down with them advise them that they probably shouldn't go because of shooting etc...this isn't a Wes, Johnny, Dion situation. They were advised to go. Your not going to get that from coach in this situation. One guy who was advised not to leave left, that was Donte.

Once again I'm not a source in this information, it's just things I'm hearing. Someone like Jake will probably provide better information once he knows it.

Alsacs said:

His stock has gone from Apple after the Pitt game to AIG during the financial crisis. Like AIG, he can recover. I won't be shocked either way with both of them.

His stock has gone from Apple after the Pitt game to AIG during the financial crisis. Like AIG, he can recover. I won't be shocked either way with both of them.

I keep thinking about the fact that a lot of folks here said MCW's shot would limit him in the draft and the league but he seems to have figured that out without needing gmac to assist him.

Ennis game translates to the NBA well as he is a true team first PG and doesn't look for his own first. Ennis goes in the top 10 if he declares. He is never going top 5 because he will never become a better athlete.

If ennis doesn't leave, he could become Scottie Reynolds. didn't leave after being very good as a freshman (big east freshman of the year) and wound up having to stay all four and never made it to the nba. If there is guaranteed money on the table, its usually a good idea to grab it.

Last edited:
This isn't a summer long void. Just an issue until the end of the tournament. It truly is just basketball, but the day after the last loss is always one of the worst days of the year for me.

Completely agree - I dedicate so much brainpower to analyzing SU's season that once it ends, I feel mentally lost. I feel like Morgan Freeman at the grocery store when he gets released from Shawshank.

Completely agree - I dedicate so much brainpower to analyzing SU's season that once it ends, I feel mentally lost. I feel like Morgan Freeman at the grocery store when he gets released from Shawshank.

You could always 'recharge your batteries' in Zihuatanejo.

tumblr_marm1kXsiu1r9vnss.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom