What do we do with Dino? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

What do we do with Dino?

Wait - we only have one win over non-league P5 in his tenure? One that in some circles was considered a gift...that is sort of chilling.
Nobody wants to play hard non conference now that our conference schefule is tougher. Not the big east any more. No one beats ND and LSU

9-4 LSU and 7-3 ND. Someone's beating them.
Upsets happen which is why that LSU team lost to Troy and that ND team lost to Marshall and Stanford. But to his point you won’t win those games very often.

Bigger issue is losing to the bad Rutgers team at home, getting blown out by a bad ND team in the Meadowlands, and getting blown out at a bad MD team. Purdue was much better than any of those three.

Nothing against Dino but this thread put the “what do you do with a drunken sailor” song in my head.

I think injuries are not uniform and teams could have bad luck a few years in a row

This year is fine with a healthy shrader and Tucker. Can non factories with stand injuries to their two most important offensive players?

Everyone's really mad about the order of the wins. 6 wins is ho hum, people would be happier to alternate them.
The OL needs to be improved, Shrader has been buried too many times by DL getting an untouched path to him as he gets off a throw.

The OL needs to be improved, Shrader has been buried too many times by DL getting an untouched path to him as he gets off a throw.
you couldn't be so aggressive sending everyone on the edges when he could tuck and run straight ahead

I think injuries are not uniform and teams could have bad luck a few years in a row

This year is fine with a healthy shrader and Tucker. Can non factories with stand injuries to their two most important offensive players?

Everyone's really mad about the order of the wins. 6 wins is ho hum, people would be happier to alternate them.
Look at NCST without Leary

Ultimately, I'm not sure how much coaching will affect the long-term outlook of this program in the current college football landscape. So many factors influencing the success/failure of the program outside of the head coach. Thus, I do agree that the lack of success during his tenure is not all of his fault.

However, the hardest pill for me to swallow is the ACC record while he has been the HC. These are our peer schools as its our conference. One could argue that we are in the tougher division and things may improve when we go division less next year but the results to date are awful.

ACC play under Dino (18-38 - .321%). Looking at every excuse/explanation in this thread and I still can't justify that record against our peer schools. I'd be surprised if there was another head coach at a P5 school that has survived that conference record after 6 years.

I have no idea if hiring a fresh face will definitely be better but I'm willing to roll the dice at this time and live with the results. I've liked Dino and supported him and the team. Just think its probably time for a change.
TLDR: Dino is a minimal improvement record wise and arguably performance wise at best then HCSS and by keeping him we are only hurting the program. In addition Dino gets too much protection by the “injuries give him a pass” people

Shafer in 3 years went 7-17 in the ACC. If you assume that same record is doubled had he been here 6 years that’s 14-34. Prior to this season and also being generous and removing two losses from the covid year due to two extra ACC games, Babers would have a record of 14-33 in the ACC.

Now it is fair to say that Dino has the better upper level wins, but as a whole record wise we have none to minimal improvement in the ACC since we got rid of HCSS and hired Dino. To make this even worse this comes in a time of massively increased salaries and budgets and improvements to the football team. The records speak for itself. Even if you take into account all of the ACC games for Babers he is 17-38 in the 7th year of the ACC. Compared to a projected 6 year record of the previous coach of 14-34. This is not to say that HCSS was the answer, but Dino has been given every oppurtunity to suceed. He has a roster full of his own players. And not even players from the first 2 seasons when the improvements weren’t there. There is no excuses.

You can even say “oh but he made it to a bowl this year.” Coaches can be fired even if they make a bowl depending on how the season as a whole went. Going 6-6 while being 2-3 then 4-4 then 6-5 is different then being 6-0 and then going 6-4 and then possibly 6-6 and then possibly 6-7. We still have two games left and I’d love to be able to go 8-4 and win the bowl to go 9-4 but it’s just as likely we go 6-7 with a 6th losing season. HCSS got us to a bowl. HCSS had injuries, every coach has injuries. NCST lost their QB and have outscored us 72-57. And we played 4 games to their 3.

This has been a long winded post but it had to be said. We have seen minimal improvement for too long and I’m tired of people acting like it is okay. Practically any other P5 school would have moved on by now and he should be grateful to make millions to lose football games. He has had 7 years to build an ACC level team which his predecessor did not. In fact, his best team was mainly due to having HCSS’s recruits as his main starters.

One last thing I want to talk about is losing streaks. HCSS was fired in 2015 after losing 8 in a row after starting 3-0, of which one win was against Wake Forest. In those 8 games we played teams ranked 1st, 8th, 17th, 25th, our worst margin of defeat was 24 points twice, at Louisville where we lost 17-41 and at FSU 21-45, which I may add, is better then we did at home on Saturday. Also included in those losses is a 3 overtime defeat against Virginia, a 20-23 loss against Pittsburgh and a 24-34 loss to No 8 LSU at home. There can be arguments that he deserved to be fired. But to that i saw. If he gets fired for that. Should dino not be fired if somehow we go 6-7? Minus the clemson game we have not even been really competitive In any of the three losses. We lost our starting QB the first game of the season and had to use a freshman dungey who also got hurt and only played in 8 games. Surely all the injury comments these last few weeks were out in force protecting the last guys job. But I suspect not. Every team has injuries. The good teams find ways to adjust. It’s time to pull the bandaid off and be prepared to fire dino if we lose out. And if we don’t. Then hold him on the hot seat for next season

We do not renew. That’s guaranteed.
Unfortunately some people aren't gonna like this but I don't think it's tough at all, I don't think he should come back at all.
You wanna play big boy football, you wanna have to see if the table this is what has to be done!
A decision that you have to make.

As much as it does hurt do not have the quarterback the high school quarterback come in most likely we, I don't think it really would have made much of a difference because there's no talent around him.

We have been stuck on 9 Commits for solo now the whole 6 and oh craziness did not seem to help, is just that babers does not seem to be good at pretty much anything like nothing really sticks out and I'm surprised he seems like such a nice guy But hes just not or at least here not a good recruiter Period

Don't get me wrong I mean the NFL Talent has gone up But really after this season I mean I don't see too much excitement on this team so they need some kind of spark and I'm sorry babers is not gonna supply that.

TLDR: Dino is a minimal improvement record wise and arguably performance wise at best then HCSS and by keeping him we are only hurting the program. In addition Dino gets too much protection by the “injuries give him a pass” people

Shafer in 3 years went 7-17 in the ACC. If you assume that same record is doubled had he been here 6 years that’s 14-34. Prior to this season and also being generous and removing two losses from the covid year due to two extra ACC games, Babers would have a record of 14-33 in the ACC.

Now it is fair to say that Dino has the better upper level wins, but as a whole record wise we have none to minimal improvement in the ACC since we got rid of HCSS and hired Dino. To make this even worse this comes in a time of massively increased salaries and budgets and improvements to the football team. The records speak for itself. Even if you take into account all of the ACC games for Babers he is 17-38 in the 7th year of the ACC. Compared to a projected 6 year record of the previous coach of 14-34. This is not to say that HCSS was the answer, but Dino has been given every oppurtunity to suceed. He has a roster full of his own players. And not even players from the first 2 seasons when the improvements weren’t there. There is no excuses.

You can even say “oh but he made it to a bowl this year.” Coaches can be fired even if they make a bowl depending on how the season as a whole went. Going 6-6 while being 2-3 then 4-4 then 6-5 is different then being 6-0 and then going 6-4 and then possibly 6-6 and then possibly 6-7. We still have two games left and I’d love to be able to go 8-4 and win the bowl to go 9-4 but it’s just as likely we go 6-7 with a 6th losing season. HCSS got us to a bowl. HCSS had injuries, every coach has injuries. NCST lost their QB and have outscored us 72-57. And we played 4 games to their 3.

This has been a long winded post but it had to be said. We have seen minimal improvement for too long and I’m tired of people acting like it is okay. Practically any other P5 school would have moved on by now and he should be grateful to make millions to lose football games. He has had 7 years to build an ACC level team which his predecessor did not. In fact, his best team was mainly due to having HCSS’s recruits as his main starters.

One last thing I want to talk about is losing streaks. HCSS was fired in 2015 after losing 8 in a row after starting 3-0, of which one win was against Wake Forest. In those 8 games we played teams ranked 1st, 8th, 17th, 25th, our worst margin of defeat was 24 points twice, at Louisville where we lost 17-41 and at FSU 21-45, which I may add, is better then we did at home on Saturday. Also included in those losses is a 3 overtime defeat against Virginia, a 20-23 loss against Pittsburgh and a 24-34 loss to No 8 LSU at home. There can be arguments that he deserved to be fired. But to that i saw. If he gets fired for that. Should dino not be fired if somehow we go 6-7? Minus the clemson game we have not even been really competitive In any of the three losses. We lost our starting QB the first game of the season and had to use a freshman dungey who also got hurt and only played in 8 games. Surely all the injury comments these last few weeks were out in force protecting the last guys job. But I suspect not. Every team has injuries. The good teams find ways to adjust. It’s time to pull the bandaid off and be prepared to fire dino if we lose out. And if we don’t. Then hold him on the hot seat for next season
This ^^^^ is spot on. At this point, it’s probably Baber’s buyout which will keep him here one more year. No wealthy boosters to eat the contract for us like what happens at a big time football program. Which we are not, and will likely never be again.

make a bowl game keep your job. (Sales guy meets yearly quota) Just that simple. Anyone who watches the team can see we aren't watching the same team we were games 1-6 and sure the competition has gotten better which makes it worse. Well it's year 7 where is the depth? True but welcome to Syracuse football. The starting 22 week 1 was a pretty talented group (Outside the WR corp and TE position)

Dino gets another year and if he gets to a bowl game again next year, guess what? he's back again. I think Dino has proven he isn't any great shakes but he does a lot well too. Stuff that people who are in charge at Syracuse really like and if he gets 6-7 wins next year he will just keep going, IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom