What do we do with Dino? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

What do we do with Dino?

So what's your plan?
I'm asking the board what their ideas are I'm curious
I'm curious as to what your relationship with Dino is? Are you related to him? Serious question, I'm curious.

Few were calling for Dino to be fired when we were 6-0 - and one play away from being 7-0.

I just can't subscribe to the knee-jerk fire the coach comments. I also can't subscribe to the "injuries don't matter" observations.

A program like Syracuse University has never had the kind of depth necessary to withstand substantial loss in personnel that has occurred in the recent past - by injury or by COVID 19.

We are obviously not the same team now that reached No. 14 in the polls.

I have never seen a team so decimated by injury.

Shrader played on Saturday, but couldn't use his greatest asset - his feet. We didn't have Garrett Williams - a soon to be NFL player.

It seems that the youngest players on this team are our best players and the quality of our coaching staff seems to have improved a lot.

The stability at head coach is in fact improving the program - we are getting better.

So, yes, I would keep Dino.
except on game day. is he really allowing his coordinators and qb coach to do what they feel is best? are our b/u qbs that bad.? his decisions are head scratching. when we had games that were out of reach he never gave backups any meaningful minutes, thus no experience. that gameday sideline must be chaos. it will be too bad if we lose coaches do to hc ego

except on game day. is he really allowing his coordinators and qb coach to do what they feel is best? are our b/u qbs that bad.? his decisions are head scratching. when we had games that were out of reach he never gave backups any meaningful minutes, thus no experience. that gameday sideline must be chaos. it will be too bad if we lose coaches do to hc ego
Im sure Dino is getting insecure. Bob isnt going to take any crap from anyone especially Dino.

Im sure Dino is getting insecure. Bob isnt going to take any crap from anyone especially Dino.

Maybe Dino needs to practice what he preaches. What is that he says? “Drop the e and g-o”.

I'm in the minority but I think the last sentence is not a good thing. The Head Coach has to be in charge. IF he cannot - he should not be on the payroll, and again Bob Anae is not Lincoln Riley. The fact that he may be better than we have recently had is not a cleared bar that should give him carte blanche to tell Dino to beat it.

I'm in the minority but I think the last sentence is not a good thing. The Head Coach has to be in charge. IF he cannot - he should not be on the payroll, and again Bob Anae is not Lincoln Riley. The fact that he may be better than we have recently had is not a cleared bar that should give him carte blanche to tell Dino to beat it.
Well if Dino was smart he would give Anae "Carte Blanche". Dino's schema has always sucked since he has been at SU. Gilbert made it worse and now Anae comes in and things are rolling. For me personally, I believe that this irritated DB to no end and was probably getting some negative feedback from those players that were not recruited for this system. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Ultimately, I'm not sure how much coaching will affect the long-term outlook of this program in the current college football landscape. So many factors influencing the success/failure of the program outside of the head coach. Thus, I do agree that the lack of success during his tenure is not all of his fault.

However, the hardest pill for me to swallow is the ACC record while he has been the HC. These are our peer schools as its our conference. One could argue that we are in the tougher division and things may improve when we go division less next year but the results to date are awful.

ACC play under Dino (18-38 - .321%). Looking at every excuse/explanation in this thread and I still can't justify that record against our peer schools. I'd be surprised if there was another head coach at a P5 school that has survived that conference record after 6 years.

I have no idea if hiring a fresh face will definitely be better but I'm willing to roll the dice at this time and live with the results. I've liked Dino and supported him and the team. Just think its probably time for a change.

I don’t think I can stand another burn down and rebuild. I’ll spend my time and energy elsewhere. I don’t have another 6 to 7 years of hoping “this is the year”

That was a horrible performance on Saturday and it gave me almost no hope for the next two games. I hate to admit it was my first football game in three years and I was in a box which was awesome btw.

I love Syracuse, I love everything about it and not not living there. Aside from that…. The dome looks fantastic, spirit was fantastic, it was so great to be back there and I wish I could go to more games.

Then I saw a really pathetic performance. We wonder why there aren’t sellouts each week? It’s no secret because we have some very smart fans. SU has all the ingredients for success that doesn’t equal Dino and I like dino. I think dino is a good person but he has had more than enough time to recruit and get players. In some respects and to be fair he has. Nick Monroe has brought in some good players and some others haven’t panned out. What I know is we could win the ACC almost every year or win 8 games a year. It’s pretty damn clear to me and I’m not wearing orange colored glasses. However, when Shrader was throwing to nobody and wide receivers weren’t where they should be? Idk….Something clearly has happened since halftime of Clemson and I’m not sure what it is. I have a weird feeling it’s Anae and Dino. I hope it isn’t. One thing is certain I really like Anae and Beck. I like all of our other coaches except Dino. I’d even be for making Anae head coach or Beck. I just think Dino even with his buyout needs to go. We need to be an 8 win team each year kind of team and it’s really embarrassing when we aren’t.

Ultimately, I'm not sure how much coaching will affect the long-term outlook of this program in the current college football landscape. So many factors influencing the success/failure of the program outside of the head coach. Thus, I do agree that the lack of success during his tenure is not all of his fault.

However, the hardest pill for me to swallow is the ACC record while he has been the HC. These are our peer schools as its our conference. One could argue that we are in the tougher division and things may improve when we go division less next year but the results to date are awful.

ACC play under Dino (18-38 - .321%). Looking at every excuse/explanation in this thread and I still can't justify that record against our peer schools. I'd be surprised if there was another head coach at a P5 school that has survived that conference record after 6 years.

I have no idea if hiring a fresh face will definitely be better but I'm willing to roll the dice at this time and live with the results. I've liked Dino and supported him and the team. Just think its probably time for a change.

Even worse when you look at P5 teams. Purdue was his first OOC regular season P5 W. He is now 1-6 OOC against the P5, and 20-44 overall (including Bowl). Against FCS teams, the MAC, and UConn he is 13-0. Against the rest of the G5 he is 2-3, yes a losing record.

I don’t think I can stand another burn down and rebuild. I’ll spend my time and energy elsewhere. I don’t have another 6 to 7 years of hoping “this is the year”
If DB stays you are going to still have the hoping “this is the year”. Doing the same thing over and over and over is insane. I am quitting on DB just like he quit on his players!! I have zero respect for him and he is nothing more then a snake oil salesmen when he is on TV interviews.

Few were calling for Dino to be fired when we were 6-0 - and one play away from being 7-0.

I just can't subscribe to the knee-jerk fire the coach comments. I also can't subscribe to the "injuries don't matter" observations.

A program like Syracuse University has never had the kind of depth necessary to withstand substantial loss in personnel that has occurred in the recent past - by injury or by COVID 19.

We are obviously not the same team now that reached No. 14 in the polls.

I have never seen a team so decimated by injury.

Shrader played on Saturday, but couldn't use his greatest asset - his feet. We didn't have Garrett Williams - a soon to be NFL player.

It seems that the youngest players on this team are our best players and the quality of our coaching staff seems to have improved a lot.

The stability at head coach is in fact improving the program - we are getting better.

So, yes, I would keep Dino.
I need to see him fail in a normal year where they stay healthy before I bail out on him. I'm just not willing to blame him for what I feel are unusually unlucky amounts of key injuries. I don't get upset if people disagree. He's not as good I thought he'd be.

I need to see him fail in a normal year where they stay healthy before I bail out on him. I'm just not willing to blame him for what I feel are unusually unlucky amounts of key injuries. I don't get upset if people disagree. He's not as good I thought he'd be.
They won't "stay" healthy! There will always be key injuries to starters. Literally football. Absolutely a few more serious injuries this year, but they were magnified because the players filling in were not as effective and the margin for injury was slim. Is it always going to be?

Yeah, but he has been here for 7 years. And, every year (sans the Dungey 10-3 season of '18) injuries have resulted and been used as the main reason for the late October and November swoons. Simply put, injuries happen, that is what is "normal" and occurs with all teams.

"Hope is not a strategy."

The key is to build enough depth to weather the storm of this inevitability that is the game of P5 level football. Just another area in which he has failed quite significantly at.

Last edited:

Does 2019 count? We were pretty healthy and turned an awful record into just a bad one.

They won't "stay" healthy! There will always be key injuries to starters. Literally football. Absolutely a few more serious injuries this year, but they were magnified because the players filling in were not as effective and the margin for injury was slim. Is it always going to be?
I think your categorization is a little broad. Magnitude of injuries matter. Do you just assume all teams are affected by injuries the same because football?

Does 2019 count? We were pretty healthy and turned an awful record into just a bad one.
It was not great. 5-7 vs 7-5 doesn't matter much to me , I want more really good seasons. Others have different preferences. To me failure is no special years and more really bad ones

Yeah, but he has been here for 7 years. And, every year (sans the Dungey 10-3 season of '18) injuries have resulted and been used as the main reason for the late October and November swoons. Simply put, injuries happen, that is what is "normal" and occurs with all teams.

"Hope is not a strategy."

The key is to build enough depth to weather the storm of this inevitability that is the game of P5 level football. Just another area in which he has failed quite significantly at.
I think injuries are not uniform and teams could have bad luck a few years in a row

This year is fine with a healthy shrader and Tucker. Can non factories with stand injuries to their two most important offensive players?

Everyone's really mad about the order of the wins. 6 wins is ho hum, people would be happier to alternate them.

I think your categorization is a little broad. Magnitude of injuries matter. Do you just assume all teams are affected by injuries the same because football?
Nope. Obviously we are affected more, and we almost always will be affected more.

And I will say, I'm just happy we got a bowl. I am not happy with how incompetent we've looked since Clemson though.

Even worse when you look at P5 teams. Purdue was his first OOC regular season P5 W. He is now 1-6 OOC against the P5, and 20-44 overall (including Bowl). Against FCS teams, the MAC, and UConn he is 13-0. Against the rest of the G5 he is 2-3, yes a losing record.
Wait - we only have one win over non-league P5 in his tenure? One that in some circles was considered a gift....that is sort of chilling.

Wait - we only have one win over non-league P5 in his tenure? One that in some circles was considered a gift...that is sort of chilling.

We have…

2016 lost to 4-8 ND in NJ
2017 lost at 9-4 LSU
2018 lost to 12-1 ND in the Bronx
2019 lost at 3-9 MD
2020 NA
2021 lost at home to 5-8 Rutgers
2022 won at home vs 6-4 Purdue and lost at home to 7-3 ND

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member