What does cuse have to do to secure Buffalo? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What does cuse have to do to secure Buffalo?

Considering I was thinking my March would be pretty boring only a few short weeks ago, I just want to get in. They can send us to the region on Mars for all I care.
So will the game be played on the Discovery channel then...I don't have the NASA one.

They generally try to protect 1-4 seeds against having a significant crowd disadvantage in round 1 or round 2. I would be stunned if we were placed in Buffalo.

As for MSG, that is certainly possible, It's really easy for them to protect the first two rounds. But then with all the bracketing rules, and with multiple scenarios, it becomes much harder for round 3 and round 4, and they don't try that hard.

My perspective only from what they have said, but I don't think there are any hard rules either.
Unless its a situation where there aren't enough 1-4 seeds who would have Buffalo as their first choice. I mean would the committee send Baylor, FSU or Louisville to Buffalo? Sure Villanova, WVU and possibly Duke. But if we were in Buffalo it would 100% sell out.

If we get in and were to be in the East, the talking heads would lose their minds. It would be absolute chaos, and we would relish in it. Imagine playing Duke in Buffalo for round 2.

Unless its a situation where there aren't enough 1-4 seeds who would have Buffalo as their first choice. I mean would the committee send Baylor, FSU or Louisville to Buffalo? Sure Villanova, WVU and possibly Duke. But if we were in Buffalo it would 100% sell out.

They rank the 16 top teams. There are 8 possible locations.

#1 gets the first pick (commitee picks it based on location), #2 gets the second pick.. the closer you are to #16, the more chances your choice is gone. By the time you get around #10, some teams primary location may be gone... but Buffalo may be the best secondary location. so that is what they get. Say a 3 seed has Buffalo as their secondary location, they will get it above Syracuse if Syracuse was on the 4 line for example.

It's why 4 seeds used to always get shipped out west. This year you will likely go where you want, because there are actually western teams that will have top seeds and it keeps more open in the east and midwest. Often they only have 1 team in the top 16.

They are not likely going to put us in Buffalo anywhere between seed 5-12. They only give preferred locations in the first 2 rounds to pod seeds (Seeds 1-4) - they will not create a huge home court advantage for a 5-12 seed... although they have messed it up on a few isolated situations.

But I wouldn't count on it happening.

Last edited:
If we get in and were to be in the East, the talking heads would lose their minds. It would be absolute chaos, and we would relish in it. Imagine playing Duke in Buffalo for round 2.

We could easily end up in the East, but just remember that under the pod system, a first weekend site is not under any specific region.

The chances to end up in the East are about the same as any region. But it's about nil for Buffalo.

An ACC matchup in the second round is possible if there are more than 8 teams in the tourney, but it is still unlikely since if you have nine ACC teams, there will only be two ACC teams that could potentially meet before the Round of 8. (Although we did have it happen once against Marquette).

For the hell of it, I just ran through the current list, using the rankings per the matrix. It takes some time to find 2 teams that would use Buffalo.

#1 Villanova - Buffalo
#2 Kansas - Tulsa
#3 Gonzaga - Salt Lake City
#4 Baylor - Tulsa
#5 North Carolina - Greenville
#6 Louisville - Indianapolis
#7 Florida St - Orlando
#8 Arizona - Salt Lake City
#9 Oregon - Sacramento
#10 Kentucky - Indianapolis
#11 Virginia - Greenille
#12 Wisconsin - Milwaukee
#13 West Virginia - Buffalo
#14 Florida - Orlando
#15 UCLA - Sacramento
#16 Cincinnati - Milwaukee

Greenville and UNC would not be right at all. With the academic investigation and that N.C. bathroom law the NCAA would be just caving. Make a site in Alaska for once and they can send Duke there also

Greenville and UNC would not be right at all. With the academic investigation and that N.C. bathroom law the NCAA would be just caving. Make a site in Alaska for once and they can send Duke there also

I mean, I'd be down for that.

Sounds like I'm going to be in San Diego for work in March. Conference ends the day before the tourny starts. If we hit the Sacramento slot, I'd have it made!

Yea, I kind of need us to be in Sacramento that first weekend.

Historically the West region has been very good to us.

Why dont we talk abotu securing an NCAA bid 1st. Its 50-50 at best right now.

If we win the games we are supposed to win (Ga Tech 2X, Pitt), we will have 11 wins in the ACC, with 2 wins vs. Top 10 teams. I think that will get us in, by itself. But if we end up a 4 or 5 seed in the ACC tourney, that may be 1 more, and I feel like we will beat either Louisville or Duke at home.

hey if its all about getting Buffalo then lets win out and win the ACC, that would be 15 in a row and I think we would be in the top 10 by then. many of the top 25 will be pushing 8-9 losses by year end.

If we win the games we are supposed to win (Ga Tech 2X, Pitt), we will have 11 wins in the ACC, with 2 wins vs. Top 10 teams. I think that will get us in, by itself. But if we end up a 4 or 5 seed in the ACC tourney, that may be 1 more, and I feel like we will beat either Louisville or Duke at home.

that is 2 road games. Ga Tech has beaten UNC, ND, and FSU. I wouldnt call @pitt or @Ga Tech should be wins just yet.

We have won 2 non home games all season by a combined 1 point (OT = TIE) on 2 buzzer beaters.

that is 2 road games. Ga Tech has beaten UNC, ND, and FSU. I wouldnt call @pitt or @Ga Tech should be wins just yet.

We have won 2 non home games all season by a combined 1 point (OT = TIE) on 2 buzzer beaters.
Yep. A split was ideal this week and we will get at least that.

If we split @GaTech/@Pitt and beat GaTech in the dome - we just need to win 1 of @Ville, Ville and Duke.

I've been in the "11 wins in the ACC" camp for a while. But honestly, if we get to 10 wins and one of those wins is Louisville - I think we get in. That is 3 top 10 teams (potentially 2 top 5 wins).

No other bubble team will have 3 top 10 wins.

What did they say about us last year? That our top 3 wins outmatched any other bubble teams - and beating Ville will put us in the same spot. Only difference being we won't have that key OOC win - that might cost us in seeding, but not in getting a bid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom