What does the Big 12 do first? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What does the Big 12 do first?

SmilinBob said:
It's about brand and name recognition and who travels. The Big 12 just has to make sure they have Texas and OU on top instead.

Bingo.

They may not go to 12 because Texas wouldn't have been left out like TCU and Baylor were.

rrlbees said:
Players don't need to be in on anything. I've seen Wisconsin play, they are very very good. They aren't a team that will lose to an OSU 59-0 with their 3rd QB. Nobody will convince me of that. Too many millions involved. How much more money does the B10 now get?

Ha.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Chip said:
How can the players not be in on it? They are the ones actually losing 59-0.

They aren't the ones doing the game planning, nor calling plays nor defensive scheming. I know it's conspiracy theory stuff. But there are millions involved. Money makes people so bad things. Plus, that commissioner over played his hand. He said at least 6 times that it wasn't TCU dropping down or about Baylor. It was completely what OSU did yesterday. So in other words, if OSU wins 31-21, they wouldn't be going. 59-0 got them in.

Last edited:
dasher said:
So, how did it begin. Who went to Wisconsin and said, you guys have to lose and lose bad? And Wisconsin just said, okay. How many people were in on it? And they all can keep a secret? Don't believe it for a second.

But you believe what the head of the committee said, OSU got in because of the drilling OSU put on a top 15 team, and...they did it. 59-0 over a top 15 team with millions of dollars on the line for the B10. I know it's conspiracy theory. But this wasn't vs Indiana or rutgirls.

Last edited:
The best thing that will come from this travesty, regardless of the reason, is that it will hasten the expansion to 8 then 16. Just as it was ordained 15 years ago with super conferences, and the big boys spilling from the little boys. Remember when 95% of the people laughing at any possibility of that?

Scooch said:
Wisconsin gets, what, 1/14th of another fraction of what the B1G gets for having a playoff team? Yeah, super compelling reason for them to throw a game. So cute.

It may have not been an out and out throwing of the game, but there wasn't much of an effort by anyone. You must believe there is a huge difference between the 2 teams with one using their 3rd QB. Not buying it. I guess the only good conspiracies are the ones that involve SU and the ncaa, cause they're out to get us every year.

Why do you think they took OSU? Better TV ratings? That would be a conspiracy. To force the B12 to have a CC game? That would be a conspiracy. Or do you believe the body of work and data support OSU? If so, that doesn't hold water cause it's not correct. So why OSU?

rrlbees said:
The best thing that will come from this travesty, regardless of the reason, is that it will hasten the expansion to 8 then 16. Just as it was ordained 15 years ago with super conferences, and the big boys spilling from the little boys. Remember when 95% of the people laughing at any possibility of that?

I don't see what one has to do with the other. Big boys already split from little boys. They just did it with 5 conferences instead of 4.

They'll explore expanding to 8 for the playoffs. 5 conf champs will get auto bids and there will be 3 at large teams.

What happened today wasn't a travesty. One power league was just told that your stupid gamble to try to get 2 teams in made our decision easier.

rrlbees said:
It may have not been an out and out throwing of the game, but there wasn't much of an effort by anyone. You must believe there is a huge difference between the 2 teams with one using their 3rd QB. Not buying it. I guess the only good conspiracies are the ones that involve SU and the ncaa, cause they're out to get us every year.

So Wiscy coaches didn't gameplan in order to hand the game to OSU...so that they would have a huge knock against their careers and endanger their livelihoods forever, with no payoff to them?

Makes total sense.

Is it THAT hard to think with the tin foil hat on so tight?

Scooch said:
So Wiscy coaches didn't gameplan in order to hand the game to OSU...so that they would have a huge knock against their careers and endanger their livelihoods forever, with no payoff to them? Makes total sense. Is it THAT hard to think with the tin foil hat on so tight?

You cut off half my post.

Chip said:
I don't see what one has to do with the other. Big boys already split from little boys. They just did it with 5 conferences instead of 4. They'll explore expanding to 8 for the playoffs. 5 conf champs will get auto bids and there will be 3 at large teams. What happened today wasn't a travesty. One power league was just told that your stupid gamble to try to get 2 teams in made our decision easier.

So you believe the NCAA should dictate to a conference that they need a CC game.

So you believe the NCAA should dictate to a conference that they need a CC game.
They don't need to dictate in so many words, but this playoff field tells them that in no uncertain terms.

rrlbees said:
You cut off half my post.
No you added the second paragraph in as an edit as I was replying to your tinfoil lunacy.

Your opinion is that tOSU isn't deserving. Others disagree.

But keep changing your story. You're on record as believing the game was thrown. Keep at that.

rrlbees said:

No but I think a committee determining who should be involved in a playoff should heavily weight who made it through a 13 game season with a conf champ game over those who didn't.

Big 12 would have had a stronger case of they just crowned a champ even without the game. But Bowlsby then tried to work the system by saying they would have co champs. Earlier in the year he said the tiebreaker would be head to head. Now says he misspoke when he said that.

He's a maroon. Made it easy for the committee.

I heard that Texas has been on the phone with Swofford. They are ready to bail.

So Wiscy coaches didn't gameplan in order to hand the game to OSU...so that they would have a huge knock against their careers and endanger their livelihoods forever, with no payoff to them?

Makes total sense.

Seems hard to believe. But I was saying for years that the Patriots were cheating. And you know what??!! They WERE cheating!

They surrendered a draft pick in THE quickest open/shut case (keep the uneducated at bay and paying) in the history of professional sports. There's an article about it. So there's concrete evidence that the conspiracies are possible at the highest levels.

In that case only 4-5 people were prob in on it…but then Mangini went to the Jets, something happened to give him enough gall to call them on it, and it was all taken care of real quick and hush/hush like complete with burning/missing videotapes, etc.

There is now big money in sports, a field that was already corruptible BEFORE there was big money involved.

Who knows if the entire Wisconsin team took a dive, but it's not beyond reason. College Sports is in a REALLY tricky competitive situation right now, like the NFL owners…if they blow the smoke on each other, they risk the cash flows that the ignoramuses (read: me and other fans) provide.

Bees, you have Fn lost your mind.

Why are u letting hate, cloud your reasoning???

It's like the slime in ghostbusters 2, the insane here have gotten to u.

The outcome was common sense...

Why am I the only 1 here who uses it ???

Scooch said:
No you added the second paragraph in as an edit as I was replying to your tinfoil lunacy. Your opinion is that tOSU isn't deserving. Others disagree. But keep changing your story. You're on record as believing the game was thrown. Keep at that.

You are quick then because I did go back and add that paragraph probably 30 secs later.

So I'll ask again, why do you think they took OSU? The chair said it was because of yesterday's win. Others have said OSU and Alabama are a better draw for TV. Isn't that also a conspiracy? I'll stick with mine. Wisky averaged almost 40ppg. 59-0?

Orangeman said:
Seems hard to believe. But I was saying for years that the Patriots were cheating. And you know what??!! They WERE cheating! They surrendered a draft pick in THE quickest open/shut case (keep the uneducated at bay and paying) in the history of professional sports. There's an article about it. So there's concrete evidence that the conspiracies are possible at the highest levels. In that case only 4-5 people were prob in on it…but then Mangini went to the Jets, something happened to give him enough gall to call them on it, and it was all taken care of real quick and hush/hush like complete with burning/missing videotapes, etc. There is now big money in sports, a field that was already corruptible BEFORE there was big money involved. Who knows if the entire Wisconsin team took a dive, but it's not beyond reason. College Sports is in a REALLY tricky competitive situation right now, like the NFL owners…if they blow the smoke on each other, they risk the cash flows that the ignoramuses (read: me and other fans) provide.

There are a number of shady things that go on in sports. Some don't want to believe it, some are naive.

Watch all the conspiracies get tossed about if out bball team gets nailed by the NCAA. People will buy in to everyone of those.

KaiserUEO said:
Bees, you have Fn lost your mind. Why are u letting hate, cloud your reasoning??? It's like the slime in ghostbusters 2, the insane here have gotten to u. The outcome was common sense... Why am I the only 1 here who uses it ???

Resume does not support OSU. Only TV ratings and/or a Wisky dive do.

Resume does not support OSU. Only TV ratings and/or a Wisky dive do.
Clearly Ohio St is an alpha dog, but...NO CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, doomed the bevo.

If they'res a conspiracy, its that the committee wouldn't let them get away with their $$$ pull nonsense.

Oh, we won't expand because ESPN won't pay us more.

Well tough shlit.

4 of the other P5 confs have a champ game...and just because u won't because ESPN tells u it's not a money maker for them, doesn't hold water for this exercise.

Wisky, didn't take a dive. Come on...get real.

The only way a bevo was getting in was to be undefeated or 1 loss...and for the rest of the P5 to have not seen their chalk get upset in the champ game.

AND even then, they could've been sent a message.

They can't play by different rules than the other 4.

One learns this in kindergarten.

Last edited:
KaiserUEO said:
Clearly Ohio St is an alpha dog, but...NO CHAMPIONSHIP GAME, doomed the bevo. If they'res a conspiracy, its that the committee wouldn't let them get away with their $$$ pull nonsense. Oh, we won't expand because ESPN won't pay us more. Well tough shlit. 4 of the other P5 confs have a champ game...and just because u won't because ESPN tells u it's not a money maker for them, doesn't hold water for this exercise. Wisky, didn't take a dive, come on...get real. The only way a bevo was getting in was to be undefeated or 1 loss and for the rest of the P5 to have not seen their chalk get upset in the champ game. AND even then, they could've sent a message. They can't play by different rules than the other 4. One learns this in kindergarten.

I owe you one Kaiser. Def said they wouldn't leave TCU out. Eating crow.

Giants still no closer to division though ;).

Makes total sense.

Well the Big 10 also ended up getting all their teams in bowls now as well.

Teams have bad games. It is as simple as that. Look at Wisconsin's beat down of Nebraska a couple of years ago as proof of that.

As a UW alum and fan, I would be livid if they threw the game. Further, the embarrassing fashion in which Wisconsin one cost it more than was gained by the conference (especially after OSU gets destroyed by Alabama). Melvin Gordon's outside chance to win the Heisman went out the window as he is very unlikely to set the single season record. The Badgers still cannot win the big game. UW's national reputation went down in flames, which affects its recruiting. It increased the reputation of a team it recruits against. The B1G West's reputation went down in flames, well it was not very high to begin with so at least the pundits' ridicule was confirmed.
If it came out that UW took a dive, Wisconsin would lose a significant amount of donations, it would be forever tarnished as an athletic department, the coaches and Barry Alvarez would likely lose their jobs, etc. If Wisconsin won, there was some thought it, OSU and MSU would each make one of the NYD bowls. Point out one benefit to Wisconsin that outweighs the damages that was done by losing as bad as it did and would be done to the program if it came out UW lost as a result of a B1G Conference dictate.

If we want to discuss whether the OSU got in just because it is the bigger name or because the committee was trying to push the XII to add two more teams and have a championship game or to push ND into a conference, those theories all make sense. UW throwing the game, does not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom