What good is a commitment anyway????? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What good is a commitment anyway?????

I haven't read through everything but are y'all sure that his NLI didn't become null and void because he failed to meet academic requirements?
There’s been some speculation of that.

It’s also possible that he simply doesn’t want to take 3 classes each semester or that he’s intimidated by large crowds (25-30k) and lots of publicity/exposure (all of those conference TV games). The G-League offers him high school gyms without the pressure of TV.

At a minimum can we change the terminology? I teach my kids to honor their commitments. This is not a good look

There’s been some speculation of that.

It’s also possible that he simply doesn’t want to take 3 classes each semester or that he’s intimidated by large crowds (25-30k) and lots of publicity/exposure (all of those conference TV games). The G-League offers him high school gyms without the pressure of TV.

I think you have to take 4 classes (12 credits to be considered a full time student)

Are you being serious with the initmidated by large crowds? I just hope my sarcasm meter is off. Last I checked, the NBA has large crowds - 15-25kish and they televise those games, every once in a while. If he's afraid of that, he may want to try another profession.

I hold out hope that at some point you'll come around to the reality that it isn't the NBA that's broken, it is the NCAA.

Agree 100%, kid is doing what he feels is best for his future whether it pans out will play itself out. 1 year at Syracuse doesn't do much for him either

Some convenient confusion going on here.

What Bazely signed was a commitment to attend SU, if he did go to any college. He didn’t promise to go to college.

EXACTLY. the NBA is his goal and the path he has chosen may or may not work but he signed the letter of intent to play college basketball at Syracuse and has now decided NOT to play college basketball, his life his choice and whether it's the right one who knows but certainly his choice to make

EXACTLY. the NBA is his goal and the path he has chosen may or may not work but he signed the letter of intent to play college basketball at Syracuse and has now decided NOT to play college basketball, his life his choice and whether it's the right one who knows but certainly his choice to make

Apparently he cannot see the value of “English 101”, “Plato and Aristotle” or “Survey of French Literature” in helping his pro basketball career.

This doesn’t appear to be a completely illogical decision on his part.

Unpopular on here, perhaps. But it does have a certain logic.

Apparently he cannot see the value of “English 101”, “Plato and Aristotle” or “Survey of French Literature” in helping his pro basketball career.

I remember reading a quote from a guy who played both pro baseball and pro basketball - don't remember who.
He said the difference in conversation between the players was apparent in that the basketball players had gone to college and the baseball players mostly had not.
Higher education really does develop a person.
Big bucks at an early age with no education - not so much.

He decided atypically late. That is what most people are taking issue with.

Not a chance!

The major complaint is that he isn’t coming to SU. The timing is just an aggravating factor.

Those that were the most excited are probably the must bummed out. The usual suspects are on here leading the charge blaming everybody and everyone for their disappointment.

It’s Lucy, Charlie Brown and the football over and over for them. No learning seems to ever occur.

I remember reading a quote from a guy who played both pro baseball and pro basketball - don't remember who.
He said the difference in conversation between the players was apparent in that the basketball players had gone to college and the baseball players mostly had not.
Danny Ainge?

You aren’t listening to the same on camera interviews I am. (Ahhh, you know, you know, etc) and lots of baseball players go to colleges.

I think you have to take 4 classes (12 credits to be considered a full time student)

Are you being serious with the initmidated by large crowds? I just hope my sarcasm meter is off. Last I checked, the NBA has large crowds - 15-25kish and they televise those games, every once in a while. If he's afraid of that, he may want to try another profession.
According to this NCAA document, he would only need to take 6 credits/semester but complete 24 before the start of his sophomore year. So, if a player was to stay for a 2nd season, he takes a class each summer and 3 classes each semester of the freshman year. For a 1-and-done it's more like: take 2-3 classes each semester.

Your sarcasm meter may be off. But, instead of playing in front of 25-30k at the dome, ACC and tournament games on TV, he'll be playing in tiny arenas (even smaller than that gym in Durham) in front of a few hundred people. No TV, no tournaments, no campus experience, etc., etc.. Momma won't see him play much.

Your NBA reference is irrelevant. He'd have the same NBA possibilities whether he chose Syracuse:ACC or NowhereVille:GD-league.

Why sign at all? He has the right to just show up at any college if he meets admission requirements, the program wants him and the roster has room. It’s how Bayer could earn a scholarship despite not signing anything if there was a scholarship available.

He signed with SU to save a spot and allow them to reserve a scholarship for him. If he or any other player had graduated high school last year, even 3 years ago - they could have skipped college to go straight to the G League ( then called D League) too.

Neither Colleges, the NCAA, nor the NBA prevented players from doing it. The NBA alone prevents a high school player from being drafted directly to the NBA putting the one year after high school rule, in place. Their developmental league has always been an option. Even if Bazely tears up the G League, next year he can’t play in the NBA because of the NBA rule about being 19 and a year removed from high school to be NBA eligible. He and his agent/ advisors are the first to think that the G League will showcase his talent , enhance his ‘brand’ , develop his game , get him drafted into the NBA more than college. That’s all that has changed.

Change schools before starting classes, go to the D-League, etc., etc. No big deal, just decommit.

What in bloody blazes is a commitment good for? Obviously can't sue the kid. To me a "commitment" is just that, and my word is pretty much gospel. Of course I am really old school and such is not the case these days in all areas including this BS, today's business ethics, etc.

Character, character, character. I was really excited about him coming. However, if that's the way you want to approach life then I'm glad you're not going to be here. Certainly not fair to put the coaching staff through all this. I have some choice words in my mind about you, but I do not want to get banned from this great forum.

"BYE-BYE BAZLEY YOU xxxxxxxx"
This dynamic happens annually in college baseball.

Every November, each program announces its incoming class (signed LOIs) for the following season (actually two seasons away).

Fast forward 6-7 months. The MLB Draft happens in early June. Those players drafted have until August 15 (or so) to sign professionally or chose to follow through on their commitment to attend State U.

As you can imagine, this process can cause a lot of consternation for college coaches and their programs, as they are largely at the mercy of professional money. Their incoming classes are often halved. Maybe worse for some of the higher ranked programs.

Essentially, this is what happened to SU with Bazley. And it is NOT common in college hoops, so that is why it stings. We're all unfamiliar with the process and the feeling we had yesterday. But just as all the top college baseball programs do, SU's basketball program will survive.

Last edited:
Not a chance!

The major complaint is that he isn’t coming to SU. The timing is just an aggravating factor.

Those that were the most excited are probably the must bummed out. The usual suspects are on here leading the charge blaming everybody and everyone for their disappointment.

It’s Lucy, Charlie Brown and the football over and over for them. No learning seems to ever occur.

I mean...many kids have reneged on SU, and I never cared. I am most angry at the timing. Maybe I am a minority opinion tho

Change schools before starting classes, go to the D-League, etc., etc. No big deal, just decommit.

What in bloody blazes is a commitment good for? Obviously can't sue the kid. To me a "commitment" is just that, and my word is pretty much gospel. Of course I am really old school and such is not the case these days in all areas including this BS, today's business ethics, etc.

Character, character, character. I was really excited about him coming. However, if that's the way you want to approach life then I'm glad you're not going to be here. Certainly not fair to put the coaching staff through all this. I have some choice words in my mind about you, but I do not want to get banned from this great forum.

"BYE-BYE BAZLEY YOU xxxxxxxx"
Every type of contract is broken. NDAs, marriages...

I mean...many kids have reneged on SU, and I never cared. I am most angry at the timing. Maybe I am a minority opinion tho

In fairness, SU fans are probably a little more sensitive to the whole timing thing after TT last year.

But, I would bet that most on here are mad that we won't see Bazely at all and only secondarily mad about the timing.

What's surprising is that people are surprised. The whole landscape, the whole structure of college basketball has been shifting rapidly in the past few years. Who ever heard of a "One and Done" except for special circumstances a few years ago. I think Bazely is probably right that this will happen more frequently in the future and that he is just one of the first to do it.

I pay little attention to recruiting, to MCD's list, to HS All Star Games, and to all the hype leading up to the season. I'll let you know how good these kids are after a few games and how good the team is after quite a few games.

Until then, don't bother me with all this crap (rumors, opinions of "experts", impressions gleaned from HS game videos, etc.). JB says he'll coach who shows up. I say I'll root for who shows up.

As a fan and as an SU alum, my disappointment is that he's not thrilled and eagerly looking forward to being an Orangeman and playing in front of our cheering crowds. That's the basis for my emotional response.
As an observer of sports and money in America, I say "Oh well...kids are just following the money." But I find no joy in watching them do that.

Why sign at all? He has the right to just show up at any college if he meets admission requirements, the program wants him and the roster has room. It’s how Bayer could earn a scholarship despite not signing anything if there was a scholarship available.

He signed with SU to save a spot and allow them to reserve a scholarship for him. If he or any other player had graduated high school last year, even 3 years ago - they could have skipped college to go straight to the G League ( then called D League) too.

Colleges, the NCAA, nor the NBA prevented players from doing it. The NBA alone prevents a high school player from being drafted directly to the NBA putting the one year after high school rule, in place. Their developmental league has always been an option. Even if Bazely tears up the G League, next year he can’t play in the NBA because of the NBA rule about being 19 and a year removed from high school to be NBA eligible. He and his agent/ advisors are the first to think that the G League will showcase his talent , enhance his ‘brand’ , develop his game , get him drafted into the NBA more than college. That’s all that has changed.

There is a simple way around the National Letter-of-Intent. A prospective student doesn't have to sign one to play college football, basketball or any other sport.
It says so on the official NLI website: "The NLI is a voluntary program with regard to both institutions and student-athletes. No prospective student-athlete or parent is required to sign the National Letter of Intent, and no institution is required to join the program."

So why do so many players and schools play along? The NCAA says 620 of its member institutions participate in the NLI program.

"The problem is," Jackson said, "the vast majority of student-athletes and their families are not knowledgeable enough about the process to make an informed decision. The school will say, 'If you don't sign, we can't guarantee you a spot (in the signing class).' If I'm a four-star recruit or a McDonald's All-American, you can guarantee me a spot."

We would be beside ourselves with laughter and glee if this happened to Duke or Kentucky and not us.

Of course. All this nonsense about the unfairness of it would never be mentioned or even thought of.

It's comical how people are stretching their imaginations coming up with more of their principles that have been violated by this.

That is, of course, after they complete the "Search for the Guilty" and the assignment of blame phases of the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom