What good is a commitment anyway????? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What good is a commitment anyway?????

Of course. All this nonsense about the unfairness of it would never be mentioned or even thought of.

It's comical how people are stretching their imaginations coming up with more of their principles that have been violated by this.

That is, of course, after they complete the "Search for the Guilty" and the assignment of blame phases of the process.
I didn't say it wasn't "unfair." It certainly is. The system is flawed. Our program did what it was supposed to do, and still got the shaft because the other system exploited a weakness we couldn't 'account' for.

A lot of plans ride on a commitment. When we secure a commitment, we're also committing—to reserving that spot and stopping recruitment. We (the program/staff) close ourselves down to any other opportunities. Not that i expect there would have been any better options, but still.

There can be arguments about 'how is this different from when one of your own players declares for the nba earlier than expected,' but a player commits to come, not to stay, right?

We (the program/staff) close ourselves down to any other opportunities.
To their detriment. Duke has three SFs coming in next season. They should have shut down their recruiting after Cam committed, but then K went and got Barrett and Zion, too. They 14 guys planned for scholarship in 2018 right now. Obviously, they're going to lose 1-2 more to the draft, but SU can't get ten scholarship players? They don't even have to be all five stars, I'm not that picky.

According to this NCAA document, he would only need to take 6 credits/semester but complete 24 before the start of his sophomore year. So, if a player was to stay for a 2nd season, he takes a class each summer and 3 classes each semester of the freshman year. For a 1-and-done it's more like: take 2-3 classes each semester.

Your sarcasm meter may be off. But, instead of playing in front of 25-30k at the dome, ACC and tournament games on TV, he'll be playing in tiny arenas (even smaller than that gym in Durham) in front of a few hundred people. No TV, no tournaments, no campus experience, etc., etc.. Momma won't see him play much.

Your NBA reference is irrelevant. He'd have the same NBA possibilities whether he chose Syracuse:ACC or NowhereVille:GD-league.

I definitely assumed incorrectly on the 12 credits thing. Thanks for the link. And I will turn up my sarcasm meter. :cool:

Do we feel the same about Tyus for not honoring his verbal COMMITMENT to Michigan or nah?

I’ve must have missed the posts suggesting Tyus has poor character for doing this

Tyus didn't cement his decision by signing an offer letter. Once an offer letter is signed it's generally accepted that a coaching staff can count on that player attending the school. A verbal doesn't mean that. Verbals get retracted all the time.

I'm not speaking to character because there are a myriad of reasons why a person may change their mind, but the two situations aren't comparable when considering the effect it has on a coaching staff. In this example, our staff has literally zero chance of recovering from this loss for the 2018 class. If it prior to signing day - might be a different story. Again, he has a right to change his mind, but let's not undersell how much his decision screwed over the staff he committed to.

My take only - I’m not ‘butt hurt’ and am actually happier that he’s not coming now since I know that he didn’t care about SU basketball tradition, his future teammates, coaches , nor attending college at all and regarded college as only a distraction from his personal goals, as he stated. This upcoming year could have been a nightmare if he was deemed ineligible for academic reasons, his personal goals didn’t always jive with team goals, he only thought of it as a year of purgatory to get to where he wanted to be. Wonder if instead of being motivated by the excitement, dedication, team play needed to have an effective tournament run he saw this month, was minimized by the worry of an injury, not wanting nor caring to be defined by a team’s success or failure. Would he worry that next year SU would be Oshae’s team more than his? That winning was a secondary goal to how he performed personally? I figure his announcement may have saved this upcoming year as much as many believe it hurt it. The waste of time and effort by the staff recruiting him resulting in losing out on better suited targets for SU who would have been more committed, is the worst drawback.

I was shocked at the timing (what really changed since he signed? ) , since nothing had changed about the G League rules etc including the ability to get endorsements (his brand this upcoming year will probably be based on his announcement skipping college not on court accomplishments). I’m not devastated though and wish him no ill will - we may have escaped bigger problems for all we know. No offense but Bazely at this point wasn’t another Melo, talent wise nor physically. I’m fine with the ‘next man up’ who wants a golden opportunity, loves competition, proving people wrong and who realizes that individual attention comes with team success.

I actually think this may be bad for both NCAA and NBA. Fans of schools that put a player in the NBA often gain fans from that. Steps Curry is an example. A lot more Golden state warriors fans here in Nc than before. Also most people don't know the kids in high school and won't unless they go to big schools. Exposure in g league is barely known. I love bball but have no clue where any of towns are where g league is played

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom