what happens when the merry-go-round stops | Syracusefan.com

what happens when the merry-go-round stops

upperdeck

Living Legend
and 1/2 the schools have these huge stadiums and no way to pay the players to play in them. A bot load of money for SU to have this nice TV screen for gym classes to use.

the union lawsuit out in LA is just another example of issues. it could also force some leveling of the playing field. imagine an NIL bucket that each school had and people paid the NIL bucket not the players, and then the schools spread it out.

I read an article Ohio State is getting out bid for kids
Stuff like that keeps happening to the big boys change will happen real quick
Kind of in the Wild West right now, hope we hold on to some great talent and can leverage the portal to our advantage
Overall I feel we’ve done a good job of both

I just don’t understand how they stomped their feet. kicked and screamed for all these years that they cannot pay players. Then instead of rolling out a well thought out concise plan they instead just threw there hands up and say well it’s a free for all.

Last edited:
and 1/2 the schools have these huge stadiums and no way to pay the players to play in them. A bot load of money for SU to have this nice TV screen for gym classes to use.

the union lawsuit out in LA is just another example of issues. it could also force some leveling of the playing field. imagine an NIL bucket that each school had and people paid the NIL bucket not the players, and then the schools spread it out.
Market will adjust, players are worth a lot now because it’s new, once more players fail to live up to expectations, boosters will inevitably become more cautious and you will see some reversion from a market value standpoint. You won’t keep paying a kid 2 million a year if they don’t perform on the field.

Market will adjust, players are worth a lot now because it’s new, once more players fail to live up to expectations, boosters will inevitably become more cautious and you will see some reversion from a market value standpoint. You won’t keep paying a kid 2 million a year if they don’t perform on the field.
Also will create a lot of animosity on teams. Could you imagine making nothing stuck behind someone who has a 1 million NIL deal? Or if the kid gets hurt? There is a lot of money flowing around but for comparison the nfl salary cap right now is 208 million. I can’t see any college team getting to the level that makes this consistently worthwhile. But who knows

Every school is limited on the number of players, talent is going to spread out. And reality is going to set in and volitility and compensation levels are going to settle in.

Also will create a lot of animosity on teams. Could you imagine making nothing stuck behind someone who has a 1 million NIL deal? Or if the kid gets hurt? There is a lot of money flowing around but for comparison the nfl salary cap right now is 208 million. I can’t see any college team getting to the level that makes this consistently worthwhile. But who knows
There’s no ROI that justifies 10% of an nfl salary cap.

I just don’t understand how they stomped their feet. kicked and screamed for all these years that they cannot pay players. Then instead of rolling out a well thought out concise plan they instead just threw there hands up and say we’ll it’s a free for all.
I mean, seems pretty consistent with how the NCAA rolls tbh.

So, an influx of money doesn't actually soothe the human heart?
Maybe throwing more at teenagers will help them find satisfaction! ;)

I mean, seems pretty consistent with how the NCAA rolls tbh.
Yep they didn’t want to pay kids and then the Supreme Court told them they had to stop the amateurism crap and all hell broke loose. The NCAA sucks and now collective bargaining is the only way to really set meaningful guardrails because the courts will reject anything the NCAA would try to do unilaterally

Yep they didn’t want to pay kids and then the Supreme Court told them they had to stop the amateurism crap and all hell broke loose. The NCAA sucks and now collective bargaining is the only way to really set meaningful guardrails because the courts will reject anything the NCAA would try to do unilaterally

Is that what the 9-0 scotus ruling said?

Your perspective is so valid. Yet my thoughts extend to the coaching staff and AD to somehow accept the reality and make the craziness work for SU - now and down the road. They seem to have met the challenge so far. Still, hard to sell "family" when each season so much of the family scatters. Kids have to do what's best for them, but it's too bad some of the best players don't recognize that the spotlight shines wherever they play once winning happens.

You step off and throw up.
1671161548051.gif

I just don’t understand how they stomped their feet. kicked and screamed for all these years that they cannot pay players. Then instead of rolling out a well thought out concise plan they instead just threw there hands up and say we’ll it’s a free for all.
What can the NCAA do? It's not the schools paying players. Technically it's all third party and there's no legal way for them to limit it. As long as it can stay hidden under the guise of endorsements and the like, it's out of their hands. That would be akin to the NBA telling Nike they have to limit how much they can pay Lebron. The NCAA has screwed up a lot of stuff, usually attempting to close loopholes that have been exploited. This isn't a situation where they deserve the heat. They can't regulate it.

It didn’t explicitly say, you have to start paying players right now but gave them a clear warning that their amateurism model was a violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act. Basically, do something because you will lose in any future litigation

yep. the NCAA and the schools do NOT want to give up their money. they know they are toast if they try anything. Kavanaugh made it pretty clear. That’s why the system is how it is.

the market will adjust but if it becomes even more heavy to the top 10-20 teams and fan interest in the other 50 teams starts to die the TV money goes away.. Fans want a chance to win the current model gave them a slight hope, this model if it swings too far does not.

The law that the NWern players used in their suit to get permission to form a union specifically exempts state governments from being required to recognize the unions. State schools, as creatures of the states, would also be exempted from collective bargaining with some sort of a players union.

Elsewhere in college football, for nosebleeds..
that's fair, but they are all resale values he is showing. the Tennessee vs. Georgia game was going for the same rate for resale, and i believe also the Ohio St and Michigan game.

He is also citing a UGA semifinal game in Atlanta. Not surprised by the price.

What he should be harping on is that I believe the face value of the CFP championship last year was something like $500 face, if not $700+ to get in the door.

It's one of my greatest concerns for the expanded playoff. Beginning in 2024, you are now asking fans to travel to 3 rounds of neutral site games (not including a potential first-round game), in a city where there are often minimum stays (e.g. CFP championship is a 3 night room block if you buy an official package thru your school). Who is going to go to all of those games?

Last edited:
What can the NCAA do? It's not the schools paying players. Technically it's all third party and there's no legal way for them to limit it. As long as it can stay hidden under the guise of endorsements and the like, it's out of their hands. That would be akin to the NBA telling Nike they have to limit how much they can pay Lebron. The NCAA has screwed up a lot of stuff, usually attempting to close loopholes that have been exploited. This isn't a situation where they deserve the heat. They can't regulate it.

You don’t think that the coaching staffs dictate to the NIL collectives and other donors what recruits should be prioritized? The schools are up to their necks in this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom