What has Benny done to deserve... | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I think JB's plan was, and clearly he miscalculated on multiple levels, to have Benny get very limited minutes behind the main forward rotation of Quincy/Cole/Jimmy.

Yet we were told to believe Jimmy didn't make his decision until early April?

FWIW, I probably agree that was JB's best case scenario.

I hear ya. I have posts all over this site criticizing JB's roster construction and minutes allocation this season. But Benny has received a lot of opportunity to do anything, and for the most part he hasn't.

I compare it to last year. I was very upset that Jesse got scant minutes after his good showing against Miami. But when he got more time a few games later, he seized that opportunity with a vengeance.

Benny got 15-20 minutes a bunch of times earlier in the season -- many more times than Edwards, Woody or Braswell the year prior, that's for sure -- and did precious little with those chances.

Running him out there 20 minutes a game to be a non-factor on both ends of the floor just doesn't make sense, no matter how much Jimmy's D is deficient.
Not much more to say on the Benny front other than this. Even though we don't see what goes on at practice. its obvious the staff lost this kid early on. Picture the kid who made that great block early in the season, how full of life and joy he was. He actually smiled after that play like (gasp)...he was having fun or something!
Contrast that with the shadow/zombie we're all witnessing now. Maybe it was the public, and private, criticism he had to endure from JB. Maybe he's a Roberson-type who needed to be treated in a different way. In any case, its the HC's job to be in tune w/ his players' psyche and not make the more fragile ones worse by their actions. We've seen this movie before, and it never ends well. Whatever the causes, I fully expect Benny to move on next year. And frankly, I wouldn't blame him. JMHO

Last edited:
Honestly I think JB's plan was, and clearly he miscalculated on multiple levels, to have Benny get very limited minutes behind the main forward rotation of Quincy/Cole/Jimmy.
That does sound like a good plan.

Yet we were told to believe Jimmy didn't make his decision until early April?

FWIW, I probably agree that was JB's best case scenario.
Yeah I'm not necessarily saying he had that plan from like, January or whatever, because I honestly don't know when it was decided Jimmy was coming - but I mean like in April when Quincy was still here and it emerged that Cole and Jimmy were coming in - I think JB knew Quincy would test the draft waters but was blindsided by him going portal

Don’t believe this is true. Most thought Benny would replace Q’s production, especially since Q didn’t really play that well at the end of last season.

Don’t believe this is true. Most thought Benny would replace Q’s production, especially since Q didn’t really play that well at the end of last season.
I don't know. I think most thought Benny *could* replace Q's production, but most also thought Q would definitely be back (pending feedback from the NBA).

Not much more to say on the Benny front other than this. Even though we don't see what goes on at practice. its obvious the staff lost this kid early on. Picture the kid who made that great block early in the season, how full of life and joy he was. He actually smiled after that play like (gasp)...he was having fun or something!
Contrast that with the shadow/zombie we're all witnessing now. Maybe it was the public, and private, criticism he had to endure from JB. Maybe he's a Roberson-type who needed to be treated in a different way. In any case, its the HC's job to be in tune w/ his players' psyche and not make the more fragile ones worse by their actions. We've seen this movie before, and it never ends well. Whatever the causes, I fully expect Benny to move on next year. And frankly, I wouldn't blame him. JMHO
So in your scenario it’s either JB’s fault, the communities fault or JB’s fault again, and there’s no other way about it? Why can’t Benny be upset because Benny is unhappy with his performance? Having success in exhibitions and against teams like Lafayette and Drexel is completely different than playing versus ACC teams and if he cannot keep it up that doesn’t mean JB isn’t trying to help him.

I don't know. I think most thought Benny *could* replace Q's production, but most also thought Q would definitely be back (pending feedback from the NBA).
All I heard was they 100% counting on production from Benny this year. I don’t think there was ever a good feeling that Guerrier was coming back despite what was said in public.

If he was a low 4 star or 3 star instead of a high 4 star or 5 star we wouldn’t be making nearly the same excuses for him. We would just say he needs development. It’s precisely needs to what happen here, but fans are obsessed with high ranked recruits for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom