What has Benny done to deserve... | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you starry eyed Benny supporters would support him better just stifling it. It just makes others post what he has actually done this year. Let the kid figure it out. Maybe he will improve on the court like Jesse did.
Jesse was a year later than needed. Marek gave us everything and more out of position.

Nah. Fans said Jesse had to get better. He did. He then got more and more PT. He worked his way into a starting position.
That's the thing. Sometimes these kids arrive ready to play meaningful and productive minutes as freshmen. But some, like Jesse (and hopefully Benny) need time to develop. And when they do blossom, it's ludicrous when people suggest that player was really there from day one but the coach somehow chose to bury him on the bench.

Two thoughts.

1, Waters was high on Benny during pre-season practices. "I'm hearing Benny's good."

So... what was going on that he was hearing Benny's good? Was that just not true? Or what?

2, let's say Benny was a miseval and just a huge whiff. Why our we missing so much on our top priority croots like Benny, Goodine, Carey?

That's the thing. Sometimes these kids arrive ready to play meaningful and productive minutes as freshmen. But some, like Jesse (and hopefully Benny) need time to develop. And when they do blossom, it's ludicrous when people suggest that player was really there from day one but the coach somehow chose to bury him on the bench.
We aren’t what we used to be personnel wise. There is a lack of athleticism defensively, unlike any team we’ve ever had.

But Jimmy can fall down while dribbling, lose his defender and get boarded over- all in a row, and not be taken out or reprimanded. How is that ok?
Because he’s still better. Did you not see Benny fall down 2 games ago? He looked like me trying to play after 5-6 beers. Jimmy had 10 boards last night. And dropped 20. Please, for Benny’s sake, stop comparing him to Jimmy.

We aren’t what we used to be personnel wise. There is a lack of athleticism defensively, unlike any team we’ve ever had.
Which makes Benny's failure to carve out more minutes this season even more surprising.

Benny doesn’t deserve minutes now.
The complaints are JB shouldn’t just have 3 players at guard or forward.
He needs to have projects who can atleast play in case of emergency.

We don’t.

Also it’s bullchit to say players can earn minutes.
Symir has improved a lot of the season.
He can give us minutes.
Buddy can’t ever sit more than 3
Minutes per game even if he is doing poorly.

Or we can’t sit one of Cole and Jimmy to play 3 guards.

Symir Torrence deserves double digit minutes per game.

He doesn’t get them.

Benny hasn’t shown he deserves them.
Play Symir and 2 guards.
We shouldn’t roll Jimmy and Cole 35+ MPG each game unless Cole is hot.

Because he’s still better. Did you not see Benny fall down 2 games ago? He looked like me trying to play after 5-6 beers. Jimmy had 10 boards last night. And dropped 20. Please, for Benny’s sake, stop comparing him to Jimmy.
There are two ends of the court. And to be honest, Jimmy is the absolute worst defender on the back line that we have EVER had at Syracuse.

Two thoughts.

1, Waters was high on Benny during pre-season practices. "I'm hearing Benny's good."

So... what was going on that he was hearing Benny's good? Was that just not true? Or what?

2, let's say Benny was a miseval and just a huge whiff. Why our we missing so much on our top priority croots like Benny, Goodine, Carey?
1. I stopped taking as gospel what writers and posters say about practices a long time ago. No offense to anyone, I love reading the reports, but the hit-rate on them is ludicrously low when it comes to projecting new players. And it's not an SU thing, that goes for every team I follow. If I had a nickel for every breathless "this UDFA at Pats camp is *killing it*" comment, only to see the guy get cut 3 days later, I'd be a wealthy man. People see what they want to see in limited glimpses.

2. Yeah, it's a problem.

Bonus. If Benny was an 150th ranked, 3-star recruit, he'd get far less attention. Woody gave us far more production in his early season games last year, and he certainly didn't have a 22 page thread devoted to him by February.

There are two ends of the court. And to be honest, Jimmy is the absolute worst defender on the back line that we have EVER had at Syracuse.
If Benny had 20 and ten in a game you would never want him to come out. Unfortunately that’s like a fantasy this year.

If Benny had 20 and ten in a game you would never want him to come out. Unfortunately that’s like a fantasy this year.
sure would. Everyone needs a breather.

Has more potential than any player on the roster outside of Jesse. God forbid he is allowed to stay in and have a chance to do something positive.
God forbid he hustles down the floor if he wants to stay in.

Cmon, we know this is a completely dif season for the kid if Jimmy wasn’t on the roster. He’s a day 1 starter and doesn’t have a microscope on him.
He’d be a day 1 starter and it wouldn’t be for long.

You should listen to Williams more. He’s accountable. He knows it’s on him.

He missed a few At the end I believe, but he was extremely active and deserved more minutes.
"Active".

He got 2 boards in 24 minutes. Two.

You're claiming he should get minutes for his D, but there's no evidence that he plays strong, consistent D.

I'll buy back in the hand briefly here-

Benny has shown class in his responses and he certainly is believable when asked.

That said it all depends on what is going on around him and who is in his ear when it comes to how he ultimately views his future and current opportunity. Things can always change quickly and I'm not putting that on him or anyone in particular.

That is the cat and mouse game these days of how far will you go to invest in a kid who has a higher ceiling by way of swallowing the struggles and offering minutes that aren't all that deserved but can pay dividends in time.

There is just no knowing anymore with this landscape.

Be fair though if any player was averaging 20 and 10 they would be an all-conference player.

All-conference players should play the whole game.
Players like Swider, Buddy, Jimmy are good players we play like they are superstars.
Superstars should play superstar minutes.

None of our guys are superstars.

Buddy when hot can be but ihe isn’t a superstar.

1. I stopped taking as gospel what writers and posters say about practices a long time ago. No offense to anyone, I love reading the reports, but the hit-rate on them is ludicrously low when it comes to projecting new players. And it's not an SU thing, that goes for every team I follow. If I had a nickel for every breathless "this UDFA at Pats camp is *killing it*" comment, only to see the guy get cut 3 days later, I'd be a wealthy man. People see what they want to see in limited glimpses.

2. Yeah, it's a problem.

Bonus. If Benny was an 150th ranked, 3-star recruit, he'd get far less attention. Woody gave us far more production in his early season games last year, and he certainly didn't have a 22 page thread devoted to him by February.
On 1, I very easily could be wrong, but I don't think Waters is one that really goes overboard.

As for Woody, man... I don't even want to think about what could have been there.

Williams doesn’t do anything well on either side of the court. Not a thing. At least Junior gives us something on offense.

NEWSFLASH: Benny Williams doesn’t even deserve the limited minutes he’s getting now.
We need a 3rd forward.
Benny is better than JBA.

He deserves to play based on that.
He isn’t going to be expected to play a lot or give much but we need a hody to play.

Benny deserves those scrap minutes now.
Symir deserves real minutes he isn’t getting.

Two thoughts.

He was hearing it. So was I. Part of it may have just been PR by the coaches. Since Dino arrived JB has adopted his policy of basically not letting anyone into practice. Up until 2016 or so Mike and Donna had full access at every practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom