What has Benny done to deserve... | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many times do we have to say that he is favoring his kid(s)? Lol
How is this rotation any different than 2018? Talent is not an answer. This is all relative. How many minutes did the guards play? How many minutes did the forwards play?

We need a 3rd forward.
Benny is better than JBA.

He deserves to play based on that.
He isn’t going to be expected to play a lot or give much but we need a hody to play.

Benny deserves those scrap minutes now.
Symir deserves real minutes he isn’t getting.
I’m not sure Williams is better than JBA, but I’m fine with him getting the minutes as a long-term investment.

Torrence should absolutely play more. Thank goodness he has a great attitude and accepts his role.

He was hearing it. So was I. Part of it may have just been PR by the coaches. Since Dino arrived JB has adopted his policy of basically not letting anyone into practice. Up until 2016 or so Mike and Donna had full access at every practice.
Didn’t Andy Katz or someone like that make some wild proclamations as well? Not just about Williams, about the whole team.

And the rumor was that the competition between the three forwards was “close.”

I’m not sure Williams is better than JBA, but I’m fine with him getting the minutes as a long-term investment.

Torrence should absolutely play more. Thank goodness he has a great attitude and accepts his role.
Can we pin this somewhere?

2, let's say Benny was a miseval and just a huge whiff.
So were the other high majors pushing hard to land him whiffing too? Were the HS talent evaluators all whiffing?
Nah, kid was a legit talent coming out of high school. Something has happened with him mentally - as others have noted possibly a case of the Knoblauch "yips" or possibly something going on outside of hoops, or whatever - that he can hopefully overcome. The talent/potential is there.

Didn’t Andy Katz or someone like that make some wild proclamations as well? Not just about Williams, about the whole team.

And the rumor was that the competition between the three forwards was “close.”
Andy Katz thought we would be top 25. Heck, Buddy was quoted as saying the team goal was to finish in the top 3 of the conference(which based on the conference still should/could have happened).

Maybe our guys look great in practice because the defense they are facing is just awful.

Last edited:
This count for all players?
It counts more if you are still battling to establish yourself and have no track record of success at this level.

So were the other high majors pushing hard to land him whiffing too? Were the HS talent evaluators all whiffing?
Nah, kid was a legit talent coming out of high school. Something has happened with him mentally - as others have noted possibly a case of the Knoblauch "yips" or possibly something going on outside of hoops, or whatever - that he can hopefully overcome. The talent/potential is there.
We’re due for a haircut post. He still needs one. It will have reverse-Samson effect.

This count for all players?
Again, other players bring something else to the table. You want equal treatment? Follow the second grade league at your local community center.

Interesting silence from Bulldog04 on Benny lately. Be curious to hear what he’s hearing

On 1, I very easily could be wrong, but I don't think Waters is one that really goes overboard.

As for Woody, man... I don't even want to think about what could have been there.
Putting Waters aside... I think that people get very emotionally invested in these high-profile recruits. They devour video of them, follow their recruitment, watch their all star games, and then the kid's performance at SU becomes a referendum on the accuracy of the praise they lavished on him when he was in high school.

I get it. I see the same behavior on baseball boards from folks who closely follow the minors. They get enamored with some AA kid. Call him untradable, project him to be an all-star someday. And when he's languishing in his first major league stint, hitting .230 with no power, there's a lot of "if he only got more of a chance" type chatter. It's all very familiar.

Benny looks like a basketball player. I hope he's a good one next season, we sure as hell need him to be. He's just not one now. And it's not because he's "broken" or "walking on eggshells" or that kind of thing. He's just not playing well, and hasn't all season.

Cmon, we know this is a completely dif season for the kid if Jimmy wasn’t on the roster. He’s a day 1 starter and doesn’t have a microscope on him.
No he’s not lol, if they don’t pull in Jimmy they grab someone else out of the portal who starts. Jimmy playing didn’t magically stunt bennys development.

No he’s not lol, if they don’t pull in Jimmy they grab someone else out of the portal who starts. Jimmy playing didn’t magically stunt bennys development.
Can’t disagree more. Benny came to SU with the belief he was starting and playing real minutes. Any other grad transfer besides a top top guy, that was added late, would have come off the pine.

Can’t disagree more. Benny came to SU with the belief he was starting and playing real minutes. Any other grad transfer besides a top top guy, that was added late, would have come off the pine.
Uhhh what? You can’t honestly believe that. When he was recruited both marek and Gurrier had a year left and hadn’t announced intentions yet, same with Braswell. If he thought he was going to be a starter (which I guarantee he didn't) then he was fooling himself. If JB had promised him that, he would’ve gotten the Rak and Coleman treatment, but he didn’t because it’s not true.

Yeah, this is the way I lean too.

He hasn't been good.

But I also don't know that I've seen a guy look less comfortable on a basketball court.

And like, I've hung out with some nerds. I'm talking mathletes that seem comfortable lining up a j.

I think his head's broken.

Putting Waters aside... I think that people get very emotionally invested in these high-profile recruits. They devour video of them, follow their recruitment, watch their all star games, and then the kid's performance at SU becomes a referendum on the accuracy of the praise they lavished on him when he was in high school.
At least for me, given that he was our highest rated guy in a while, and we really need to get back to putting guys in the NBA regularly, I thought it was important for us to help him max out.

With recruit ratings I am convinced they just look at one aspect of the kid that they see as NBA ready, in this case Benny's bounce and athleticism, and just go "well if he develops x y and z, which he might do, then with his bounce and athleticism he would be a successful NBA player, therefore we will rate him high." I thought similarly with Carey and his high ratings. He had the athletic burst that would be fast enough for the NBA, just was lacking in literally everything else. Really what other explanation is there for either of those guys being so highly rated out of high school?

At least for me, given that he was our highest rated guy in a while, and we really need to get back to putting guys in the NBA regularly, I thought it was important for us to help him max out.
I hear ya. I have posts all over this site criticizing JB's roster construction and minutes allocation this season. But Benny has received a lot of opportunity to do anything, and for the most part he hasn't.

I compare it to last year. I was very upset that Jesse got scant minutes after his good showing against Miami. But when he got more time a few games later, he seized that opportunity with a vengeance.

Benny got 15-20 minutes a bunch of times earlier in the season -- many more times than Edwards, Woody or Braswell the year prior, that's for sure -- and did precious little with those chances.

Running him out there 20 minutes a game to be a non-factor on both ends of the floor just doesn't make sense, no matter how much Jimmy's D is deficient.

With recruit ratings I am convinced they just look at one aspect of the kid that they see as NBA ready, in this case Benny's bounce and athleticism, and just go "well if he develops x y and z, which he might do, then with his bounce and athleticism he would be a successful NBA player, therefore we will rate him high." I thought similarly with Carey and his high ratings. He had the athletic burst that would be fast enough for the NBA, just was lacking in literally everything else. Really what other explanation is there for either of those guys being so highly rated out of high school?
Guys kill it in college and are busts in the NBA, too. It's usually speed of the game, quality of opponents

Did Benny know when he committed that Q, Woody and Bobby would be gone? Otherwise if they had all stayed he would probably be getting less minutes.

Did Benny know when he committed that Q, Woody and Bobby would be gone? Otherwise if they had all stayed he would probably be getting less minutes.
Less minutes? 0 minutes.

Honestly I think JB's plan was, and clearly he miscalculated on multiple levels, to have Benny get very limited minutes behind the main forward rotation of Quincy/Cole/Jimmy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom