What I don’t get about Buddy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What I don’t get about Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually decided to look further down the list in MPG and it actually turns out that it's not only the top 30 in MPG that he's 2nd worst in RPG, it's actually the top 60.

I'm also not sure what's wrong with saying Buddy is an important player that can get hot shooting, but isn't an all around stud?

You can be a very valuable college player knocking down shots and being a good FT shooter.

I'm also not sure what's wrong with saying Buddy is an important player that can get hot shooting, but isn't an all around stud?

You can be a very valuable college player knocking down shots and being a good FT shooter.
Pretty much because then you would have to acknowledge the HC plays him too much and the pipeline at the position is weak and open up those cans of worms people don’t want to talk about.

He's a shooter. That's it. He's a compiler of counting stats because he plays 35+ a game. He's averaging 3 assists a game in almost 36 minutes. That's not good. You can't just look at counting stats without context.

I already said he is among the leaders in minutes per game. Everyone knows this. That is not enough to explain being 16th in the conference in assists.

Playing a lot of minutes helps. No question. But there is more to it than this. The one thing you say that I agree with is looking at stats with context.

Another important variable that plays a big role in assists (besides passing ability) is role on the team/time with the ball.

Look at the leaders in the ACC in assists. The guys in front of him are players who have the ball all the time and have more opportunities to make assists.

He is above average passing the ball. He is good at getting steals. He is more than a shooter. Watch the game and learn.

If fans don't think Buddy can score from 2, what do fans think about Guerrier, because their 2 point percentages are awfully close to converging.

He is also #1 in FGA/Game and 3P FGA/game. He is also last among the top 15 ACC Scorers in FG% and FTA/Game. There is also only 1 other guy in the top 60 in ACC MPG that averages fewer RPG than his 2.2, Kihei Clark...a 5'9 PG.
There is the deep dive into the stats!!

The FT shooting part would certainly be great if he wasn't among the very worst players in the conference at getting to the line.

If fans don't think Buddy can score from 2, what do fans think about Guerrier, because their 2 point percentages are awfully close to converging.
Then give Guerrier some minutes at the 2 each game. We become longer defensively.

You can go look at the game thread - Q looks shook and has looked shook.

I don't know what's up, but it's starting to look Knoblauchian in his regression of doing basic basketball moves.

Exactly this.

We joke about the Random White Guy(tm) who goes off against us from other teams.
(and to be more PC, that could be Random Bench Guy too, regardless of race, creed, etc.)

Buddy and Joe could both be this sorta guy.
Give them minutes when they're hot, sit them when they're not.

Neither one of these guys should be getting the minutes they do.
Now - in a given game, where one (or both) has gone to plaid?
Ride the hot hand.

But not in every. single. game. no matter how poorly they are shooting or playing otherwise.

He is also #1 in FGA/Game and 3P FGA/game. He is also last among the top 15 ACC Scorers in FG% and FTA/Game. There is also only 1 other guy in the top 60 in ACC MPG that averages fewer RPG than his 2.2, Kihei Clark...a 5'9 PG.
Yes, we have talked about the rebounding of our 2 guards for 44 years. Buddy has his limitations but that fits in with every other player on this team. This gets real old.

Then give Guerrier some minutes at the 2 each game. We become longer defensively.

What? Honestly there have been games Buddy was a problem and hasn’t played well, but to start this thread after the last few games hurts the argument that people can’t separate him from JB and are just piling on.

If Buddy played the minutes like Rautins there would be less frustration. We would likely have other guards who could contribute on the team.
We don't. And if you remember, we heard the negative stuff about Rautins right up until late in his 4th year.

Exactly this.

We joke about the Random White Guy(tm) who goes off against us from other teams.
(and to be more PC, that could be Random Bench Guy too, regardless of race, creed, etc.)

Buddy and Joe could both be this sorta guy.
Give them minutes when they're hot, sit them when they're not.

Neither one of these guys should be getting the minutes they do.
Now - in a given game, where one (or both) has gone to plaid?
Ride the hot hand.

But not in every. single. game. no matter how poorly they are shooting or playing otherwise.

I just want Kadary to start with Buddy to make Buddy's life easier. Honestly, that's it. They seem to have a good on court feel for each other.

JGIII comes in to give them each a breather and hopefully our forwards have a competent game.

I already said he is among the leaders in minutes per game. Everyone knows this. That is not enough to explain being 16th in the conference in assists.

Playing a lot of minutes helps. No question. But there is more to it than this. The one thing you say that I agree with is looking at stats with context.

Another important variable that plays a big role in assists (besides passing ability) is role on the team/time with the ball.

Look at the leaders in the ACC in assists. The guys in front of him are players who have the ball all the time and have more opportunities to make assists.

He is above average passing the ball. He is good at getting steals. He is more than a shooter. Watch the game and learn.

You're right! I don't want my off-guard to be the assists leader. That's fine, but bringing up his raw number of assists (which you did, not me) is foolish then. I said Buddy doesn't create for himself or others. If you can't see that watching the games, that's on you.
Oh, and steals? He's getting outproduced by Kadary in HALF the time in that category. And Kadary can turn the steals into instant offense. That's something Buddy cannot do. Nor can Joe to that point.

We don't. And if you remember, we heard the negative stuff about Rautins right up until late in his 4th year.

People hated Rautins basically until the 6 overtime game and fans complained he took to many minutes away from Harris and Devendorf.

What? Honestly there have beengames Buddy was a problem hasn’t played well, but to start this thread after the last few games hurts the argument that people can’t separate him from JB and are just piling on.
My frustration is the future.
If the kid was a senior I would shut up.
The kid is getting these minutes as a sophomore and be expected to carry the team. Or else he wouldn’t take as many shots as he does.

If this is going to be the team for the next 2 years I am banging the drum now. That is on the HC. Look at the minutes Rautins played his career.

Yes, we have talked about the rebounding of our 2 guards for 44 years. Buddy has his limitations but that fits in with every other player on this team. This gets real old.
Sure, we can just explain away how he is the absolute worst rebounder in the entire conference including all PG's except for a 5'9 guy despite being 6'6. Joe is 5 inches shorter, plays 8 less mpg and grabs 30% more rebounds then Buddy.

People hated Rautins basically until the 6 overtime game and fans complained he took to many minutes away from Harris and Devendorf.
I don’t agree with this. Rautins was seen as a weapon. He had games he won for us I can remember a Saturday noon game at Providence either 2007 or 2008 not sure Rautins hit 6 3’s and helped us get a road win.
He never played too much those years before 2010.

And to further my issue, it's not with Buddy. I think he was thrown into a bad situation by his dad and he takes a ton of heat because of it. I think Buddy is a fine player. He's a very solid rotational guard. He is a perfect guy to give you 20 minutes off the bench and can inject some life with his hot shooting. Playing him 35+ MPG exposes him and his weaknesses. My gripe is more with Jim, not Buddy. Jim has shoehorned Buddy into that role just like he has with Marek.

Not sure I get why he isn't an alpha. He is a good 3 point shooter. He can handle the ball and drive...and has done that all season long. When the team needs a score, he's the go-to. He is not just a 3 point shooter and the team is lucky to have him.
He can’t drive, driving isn’t going in them finishing with a fade away at the free throw line.
He absolutely is strictly a 3 point shooter.
If I need someone to drive and score 2 points when we’re down 1, Buddy is not the guy I want taking that shot, Kadary is. If I need a 3, Buddy is that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom