What I don’t get about Buddy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What I don’t get about Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
My frustration is the future.
If the kid was a senior I would shut up.
The kid is getting these minutes as a sophomore and be expected to carry the team. Or else he wouldn’t take as many shots as he does.

If this is going to be the team for the next 2 years I am banging the drum now. That is on the HC. Look at the minutes Rautins played his career.

If he’s played like he has the last 6 or so games he should keep shooting. This is the third straight season he’s started the season cold. I don’t know why that is, but it seems to be a trend and maybe he should do something different early next season

I am just saying if people are going to complain about Buddy when he plays well then it doesn’t help the argument that people are not just hating and I happen to agree with most of what you’re opinion is.

What? Honestly there have been games Buddy was a problem and hasn’t played well, but to start this thread after the last few games hurts the argument that people can’t separate him from JB and are just piling on.
Well that's what happens when he plays the most minutes every game, makes plenty of mistakes and has yet to be criticized by the coach in any fashion despite everyone else getting it both on and off the court from JB.

Rautins should have been a great career arc example. 8-21-28-35 in mpg. Instead we have 17-36-36 so far.
We had better players here when Andy came in than we did when Buddy came in. I don't think there is any question about that. If the argument is that Buddy plays too many minutes, you won't get an argument from me. If the argument is that Buddy isn't a valuable player, you will. I think the way he is played hurts his value. Not helps.

Buddy isn't half the player Kyle Korver was in college. Korver was an AA and not just because he could shoot well. Buddy does one thing well. That's shoot the ball. There is absolutely a spot for that on this roster, but it sure isn't starting and playing 35 MPG. We all like Buddy but come on. He doesn't defend, he doesn't create (for himself or others), he's slow, he doesn't rebound
You’re right he isn’t, more talking about NBA Korver.

I don’t agree with this. Rautins was seen as a weapon. He had games he won for us I can remember a Saturday noon game at Providence either 2007 or 2008 not sure Rautins hit 6 3’s and helped us get a road win.
He never played too much those years before 2010.

Previous versions of the board would disagree and so did the Syracuse.com message boards from the time.

Sure, we can just explain away how he is the absolute worst rebounder in the entire conference including all PG's except for a 5'9 guy despite being 6'6. Joe is 5 inches shorter, plays 8 less mpg and grabs 30% more rebounds then Buddy.
So what? if your argument is that Joe is better than Buddy because of rebounding stats, that is your hill to die on.

Well that's what happens when he plays the most minutes every game, makes plenty of mistakes and has yet to be criticized by the coach in any fashion despite everyone else getting it both on and off the court from JB.
Well he doesn’t criticize or give him credit when he scores 29 points either so it’s basically like he doesn’t even talk about him.

As of right now, in conference play, Buddy is

8th in scoring (15.5 ppg)
1st in 3P FGs/game
16th in assists/game
6th in assists/turnover ratio
9th in steals/game

To be fair, he is also 5th in the conference in minutes/game, which helps him pile up good stats. But anyone who thinks he is only a shooter doesn't understand basketball.
Anybody who thinks he’s anything but a shooter doesn’t know anything about basketball.

I don’t agree with this. Rautins was seen as a weapon. He had games he won for us I can remember a Saturday noon game at Providence either 2007 or 2008 not sure Rautins hit 6 3’s and helped us get a road win.
He never played too much those years before 2010.
You can disagree. But you are wrong. I liked the kid right from the jump. But he was not a popular player on this board. He was called the anti g-mac. He was given a ship because of who his father was. Hmm.

And to further my issue, it's not with Buddy. I think he was thrown into a bad situation by his dad and he takes a ton of heat because of it. I think Buddy is a fine player. He's a very solid rotational guard. He is a perfect guy to give you 20 minutes off the bench and can inject some life with his hot shooting. Playing him 35+ MPG exposes him and his weaknesses. My gripe is more with Jim, not Buddy. Jim has shoehorned Buddy into that role just like he has with Marek.
Honestly, does Buddy take any heat whatsoever? There are no fans booing at games or anything. It's a bunch of people on a message board talking to each other. Rest of the roster takes actual heat from JB during and after games.

We had better players here when Andy came in than we did when Buddy came in. I don't think there is any question about that. If the argument is that Buddy plays too many minutes, you won't get an argument from me. If the argument is that Buddy isn't a valuable player, you will. I think the way he is played hurts his value. Not helps.
Completely agree with that. He would be an excellent rotational guard. Instead he's leading the ACC in FGA/Game and the coach is whining that the other players aren't getting him enough good looks.

Honestly, does Buddy take any heat whatsoever? There are no fans booing at games or anything. It's a bunch of people on a message board talking to each other. Rest of the roster takes actual heat from JB during and after games.
Correct. This is a JIM issue, not a Buddy issue. I think most fans can look at the situation and realize who/what Buddy is and come to the conclusion that he (or really anyone) should not be playing those minutes.

You can disagree. But you are wrong. I liked the kid right from the jump. But he was not a popular player on this board. He was called the anti g-mac. He was given a ship because of who his father was. Hmm.
I guess I am wrong if I was posting I would have pushed back.
He never played an absurd amount of minutes his first couple of seasons.
I remember Tim Welsh wanted him at Providence and JB just telling Welsh Rautins is coming to SU.

I guess I wish we were back to a point in the program where the 7th or 8th guy was getting heat for playing a lot.

Anybody who thinks he’s anything but a shooter doesn’t know anything about basketball.
Alright, ignore the stats. Ignore what happens on the court and tell yourself it is all BS.

Whatever makes you happy.

Completely agree with that. He would be an excellent rotational guard. Instead he's leading the ACC in FGA/Game and the coach is whining that the other players aren't getting him enough good looks.
I wouldn't call what Jb said as whining. Also, the fact that we can't get Buddy good looks is actually on JB in almost every way. He hasn't got us a low post presence that forces teams to double down low and he has always had a scheme, if you want to call it that, that forces our two guards to take bad shots. G-mac, Cooney and Buddy are all a lot better shooters than they were made to look like because of the shots they are forced to take.

And to further my issue, it's not with Buddy. I think he was thrown into a bad situation by his dad and he takes a ton of heat because of it. I think Buddy is a fine player. He's a very solid rotational guard. He is a perfect guy to give you 20 minutes off the bench and can inject some life with his hot shooting. Playing him 35+ MPG exposes him and his weaknesses. My gripe is more with Jim, not Buddy. Jim has shoehorned Buddy into that role just like he has with Marek.

I agree with this. People can gripe about Buddy's recruiting ranking, but the reality of the situation is that he was one of the top players at Brewster Academy, and showed that he could contribute at the high major P5 level. There's nothing wrong with recruiting a player like Buddy Boeheim. IMO, he could play for just about any P5 program, no exaggeration.

The problem is how he's utilized HERE. To paraphrase another board member, it's like watching a little league coach insist on letting his son pitch, when he can't get anyone out.

On great teams, Buddy would be a reserve, cast in a complimentary role, and probably something like the third-scoring option -- who would burn teams for focusing defensive attention elsewhere. Here, he's miscast as the focal point of the offense.

I
You acknowledge he plays too much and the problems with recruiting the position.
Unlike others your takes aren’t trying to spin for the situation.

People hated Rautins basically until the 6 overtime game and fans complained he took to many minutes away from Harris and Devendorf.

Speak for yourself. I loved Rautins as a Freshman. I yelled at Boeheim so many times to give him more minutes. Our best shooter off the bench in his first year. Then when he came back from his knee deal he went crazy from 3 and played up to his potential thus his NBA draft selection.

I

You acknowledge he plays too much and the problems with recruiting the position.
Unlike others your takes aren’t trying to spin for the situation.
It's not just recruiting at that position. It's really, every position. We are fortunate that Benny has blown up late the way he has. I really fear that if he had blown up earlier, we wouldn't been beat out for him too. And let's not forget we wouldn't have got Kadray if we hadn't lost another kid to UConn.

Please stop with statements like that. It serves no purpose.
Literally repeated the same exact thing the OP wrote with the other point of view.

Sure, we can just explain away how he is the absolute worst rebounder in the entire conference including all PG's except for a 5'9 guy despite being 6'6. Joe is 5 inches shorter, plays 8 less mpg and grabs 30% more rebounds then Buddy.

TBH our 2 guards have never been good rebounders. Don't believe me go look at Battle and Cooney's per 40 minute rebound stats. Girard is the best of a bad bunch.

I wouldn't call what Jb said as whining. Also, the fact that we can't get Buddy good looks is actually on JB in almost every way. He hasn't got us a low post presence that forces teams to double down low and he has always had a scheme, if you want to call it that, that forces our two guards to take bad shots. G-mac, Cooney and Buddy are all a lot better shooters than they were made to look like because of the shots they are forced to take.
Other argument is maybe Buddy shouldn't be taking the 3rd most shots of any Syracuse player in the last 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom