What I hope to see in game 2 | Syracusefan.com

What I hope to see in game 2

RF2044

Living Legend
After a somewhat choppy opening game road victory, the Orangemen head into what shapes up as a tune-up game against Wagner in week 2. With no disrespect to the upcoming opponent, this should be a game where coach Dino Babers and staff can get the starters out of the game early and give lots of PT to bench reserves.

In no particular order, here's some things that I'm hoping to see this weekend against Wagner.
  • QBs complete 70% of their passes -- Eric Dungey had an impressive performance in many respects, but only completed 7 of 17 passing. Whether this was attributable to WR inexperience, not being in sync, whatever -- it needs to change. ESPECIALLY since our WR pecking order is so unsettled. I want to see Dungey pass the ball accurately, and spread the ball around to several WRs. I also want to see Devito have a better showing now that he's broken the seal and gotten his first game jitters out of the way.

• Rex Culpepper see the field -- Although I don't anticipate Rex necessarily getting a ton of game action this year, this would be a great opportunity to reward the kid. Hope we're up huge and he gets to play the entire 4th quarter. Kid deserves it after beating cancer this offseason.

• WRs getting their act together -- Is Butler a #1, a #2, or a #3? Was game 1 an aberration or a performance that Jamal Custis can build upon? We'll find out Saturday. I also want to see players like Sharod Johnson, Taj Harris, and Anthony Queeley get an opportunity to play extended snaps, so that they can get their sea legs. I have a feeling that one of them is going to emerge as an important / significant contributor this year -- need to jump start that process against Wagner. I also want to see Custis have another big game, both for him to gain confidence, but more importantly for the coaches to gain confidence in HIM. I'm hoping that Butler is able to bounce back from his horrific game 1, and prove that he can at least be a consistent complimentary contributor, if not an outright leader / starter.

• TE to NOT be featured... again -- This might seem counter intuitive, since Pierce is such a good player, but I think we didn't see him in game 1 by design [yes, I know he coughed up that shovel pass early in the 3rd quarter]. I hope that we don't see him get many targets in game 2, so that FSU doesn't get additional film [beyond last year] to prep for him being more of a cog when we play in week 3.

• OL to continue gelling -- The OL depth this year is hard to believe, given that it has been forever since we had a quality group of second stringers. When Evan Adams got ejected from the WMU game, we were able to bring in a guy who started all last year and will probably start his final two years. That's quality depth. On this week's depth chart, strong man Andreas Duering gets a chance to start for Adams, who has to sit out the first half as punishment for being tossed last game. Will he start over Heckel? Will be interesting to see -- but I expect that he will to give him a taste of game action. The OL overall looked solid in a vanilla game plan that emphasized the run, even with WMU stacking the box to counter our run game. This should be a game where the OL can dominate, and get players like both Davises, Clark, Duering, etc. some much needed PT.

• No injuries -- Enough said, don't want to see a Ted Gregory situation in this type of game.

• Eric Dungey removed from game as soon as feasibly possible -- See above. No need to expose him to any additional punishment / opportunities to get injured, with FSU coming to town the following week.

• Scoop bouncing back -- I don't expect Wagner to have a great passing attack, but Bradshaw got beat badly several times, and needs to regain his form and get his groove back. He's better than he showed last week.

• DL bring some pressure -- Our defensive line was projected to be a core strength of our defense this year. We didn't generate much upfield pressure last game, which led to several of those long pass completions that burned us. Time to bring the heat and get some sacks. Our secondary is going to play better when the DL doesn't let the opposing QB get comfortable in the pocket.

• Reserve LBs to get a chance to play -- I thought that Guthrie and Whitner looked OK on Friday. There were some ups and downs, but they at least looked capable. I want to see them build upon that performance, but I also want to see what the likes of unproven commodities such as Armstrong, Williams, Richards, Cullen, Wallace, and Fagan can do. I feel like we need two [and possibly three] from that group to step up and help stabilize this unit. Or possibly even replace one of the incumbents. I wouldn't be surprised if by game 6 or 7, we view the LB corps as being stable and solid, but in order to get there we need to maximize the developmental opportunity of games against weak opponents like Wagner and Uconn to force feed these guys snaps and let them get their sea legs.

• Safeties bounce back -- Another unit that had ups and down, and made several mistakes with respect to coverage. Not surprising, given Cisco's inexperience, this being Cordy's first game back, etc. I want to see these guys right the ship and set the tone for how this positional unit is going to perform the rest of the season.

• Entire bench sees the field -- This is the type of game where not only second stringers, but also third, fourth, and walk ons might be able to see the field. Especially in this new era where players can play 4 games and still redshirt. This game is tailor made for everyone to see the field.

What did I miss?

Last edited:
I would like to see ZERO designed QB runs. I don't want Dungey taking shots just to take shots. Let our running backs do the heavy lifting on the ground and Dungey focus on the passing game.

After a somewhat choppy opening game road victory, the Orangemen head into what shapes up as a tune-up game against Wagner in week 2. With no disrespect to the upcoming opponent, this should be a game where coach Dino Babers and staff can get the starters out of the game early and give lots of PT to bench reserves.

In no particular order, here's some things that I'm hoping to see this weekend against Wagner.
  • QBs complete 70% of their passes -- Eric Dungey had an impressive performance in many respects, but only completed 7 of 17 passing. Whether this was attributable to WR inexperience, not being in sync, whatever -- it needs to change. ESPECIALLY since our WR pecking order is so unsettled. I want to see Dungey pass the ball accurately, and spread the ball around to several WRs. I also want to see Devito have a better showing now that he's broken the seal and gotten his first game jitters out of the way.

• Rex Culpepper see the field -- Although I don't anticipate Rex necessarily getting a ton of game action this year, this would be a great opportunity to reward the kid. Hope we're up huge and he gets to play the entire 4th quarter. Kid deserves it after beating cancer this offseason.

• WRs getting their act together -- Is Butler a #1, a #2, or a #3? Was game 1 an aberration or a performance that Jamal Custis can build upon? We'll find out Saturday. I also want to see players like Sharod Johnson, Taj Harris, and Anthony Queeley get an opportunity to play extended snaps, so that they can get their sea legs. I have a feeling that one of them is going to emerge as an important / significant contributor this year -- need to jump start that process against Wagner. I also want to see Custis have another big game, both for him to gain confidence, but more importantly for the coaches to gain confidence in HIM. I'm hoping that Butler is able to bounce back from his horrific game 1, and prove that he can at least be a consistent complimentary contributor, if not an outright leader / starter.

• TE to NOT be featured... again -- This might seem counter intuitive, since Pierce is such a good player, but I think we didn't see him in game 1 by design [yes, I know he coughed up that shovel pass early in the 3rd quarter]. I hope that we don't see him get many targets in game 2, so that FSU doesn't get additional film [beyond last year] to prep for him being more of a cog when we play in week 3.

• OL to continue gelling -- The OL depth this year is hard to believe, given that it has been forever since we had a quality group of second stringers. When Evan Adams got ejected from the WMU game, we were able to bring in a guy who started all last year and will probably start his final two years. That's quality depth. On this week's depth chart, strong man Andreas Duering gets a chance to start for Adams, who has to sit out the first half as punishment for being tossed last game. Will he start over Heckel? Will be interesting to see -- but I expect that he will to give him a taste of game action. The OL overall looked solid in a vanilla game plan that emphasized the run, even with WMU stacking the box to counter our run game. This should be a game where the OL can dominate, and get players like both Davises, Clark, Duering, etc. some much needed PT.

• No injuries -- Enough said, don't want to see a Ted Gregory situation in this type of game.

• Eric Dungey removed from game as soon as feasibly possible -- See above. No need to expose him to any additional punishment / opportunities to get injured, with FSU coming to town the following week.

• Scoop bouncing back -- I don't expect Wagner to have a great passing attack, but Bradshaw got beat badly several times, and needs to regain his form and get his groove back. He's better than he showed last week.

• DL bring some pressure -- Our defensive line was projected to be a core strength of our defense this year. We didn't generate much upfield pressure last game, which led to several of those long pass completions that burned us. Time to bring the heat and get some sacks. Our secondary is going to play better when the DL doesn't let the opposing QB get comfortable in the pocket.

• Reserve LBs to get a chance to play -- I thought that Guthrie and Whitner looked OK on Friday. There were some ups and downs, but they at least looked capable. I want to see them build upon that performance, but I also want to see what the likes of unproven commodities such as Armstrong, Williams, Richards, Cullen, Wallace, and Fagan can do. I feel like we need two [and possibly three] from that group to step up and help stabilize this unit. Or possibly even replace one of the incumbents. I wouldn't be surprised if by game 6 or 7, we view the LB corps as being stable and solid, but in order to get there we need to maximize the developmental opportunity of games against weak opponents like Wagner and Uconn to force feed these guys snaps and let them get their sea legs.

• Safeties bounce back -- Another unit that had ups and down, and made several mistakes with respect to coverage. Not surprising, given Cisco's inexperience, this being Cordy's first game back, etc. I want to see these guys right the ship and set the tone for how this positional unit is going to perform the rest of the season.

• Entire bench sees the field -- This is the type of game where not only second stringers, but also third, fourth, and walk ons might be able to see the field. Especially in this new era where players can play 4 games and still redshirt. This game is tailor made for everyone to see the field.

What did I miss?
I want to see Howard and Pierre both get significant PT.

What did I miss?
I think you'll see Heckel start rather than Duering.

We saw a lot of Armstrong in game 1; same for Pat Davis, Dakota Davis, Chris Elmore & Kleinberg in all the heavy short-yardage plays. Hope to see a lot more of our 2s and even true frosh in this game. It is what the new red-shirt rules allow.

What did I miss?

Good stuff.

I would like to see Lakeim Williams, Juan Wallace, and Andrew Armstrong get some run this game. I was not impressed at all by the LB play. There were a couple times on those big runs that Whitner was easilly moved right out of the hole. Another time one of them hit the wrong gap allowing another long gain. FrI think the younger guys are bigger and more athletic. This would be a good way to get them so valuable experience. The way Dino is treating the WR's and the LB's i get the feeling he is really hesitant to play Freshman in general. At this point it would be hard for the back ups to be much worse. You might as well let them play and see what happens.

I’m not as big a fan of hiding things to present against FSU. I say show it all, make them prepare for anything and everything. Limits how specialized (more reps/time/film) they can get with some of the things we do every game.

I’m not as big a fan of hiding things to present against FSU. I say show it all, make them prepare for anything and everything. Limits how specialized (more reps/time/film) they can get with some of the things we do every game.
I agree. Getting live reps outweighs any advantage they might get from prep.

I always think of our big advantage that is hard to prep for is tempo. If we are faster than everyone else, we are by definition impossible to relocate which makes it impossible to prep for.

This is not unlike the 2-3 for JB. Sure you can try to simulate it in practice and you “know” what we are going to do but when a bunch of 6-8 bouncy long athletic forwards are constantly in your passing and shooting lanes, you can only imagine.

Last edited:
Good list. Nothing to add - just more emphasis on seeing some of the young talent. Will be fun.

Oh - I’d like to see Shy play a lot of LB on 3rd down, blitzing

its hard to say if he LB were moved or they just had poor gap control. its often easier to go where the block wants you to go than it is to go where u are supposed to go.. the new guys feel the block and ride it instead of controlling it.

Nice summary, Ryan. This pulls together pieces from a number of post-WMU threads and adds some interesting details about the OL. One advantage of all of the ED RPO is that we didn't give away many wrinkles for FSU to game-plan. Our WR's certainly won't scare anyone. Special teams weren't mentioned, but I can see why as there isn't much to change (we look as good as we have there in years).

So I agree with the priorities (besides well-deserved burn for the back-ups): 1) LB gap-control and PT for the younger talent; 2) give Custis confidence and establish rhythm with the other WR's; and 3) shore up some of the glaring coverage and field-depth issues with our secondary.

• I don't want to see a single Orange punt.​
  • I don't want a Wagner pass completion of over 10 yards.​
  • I want 5-7 TFL's and 3-5 sacks for SU.​
  • I want a 'Cuse punt or a kickoff return for a TD.​
  • I want to see a coming out party for the young WR's and DB's​
  • I want Quickchek to have jalapeños for my drive up breakfast sandwich, and I want no delays on 81 all the way up.​

I would like to see Strickland, Neal and Pierre each break a big run for six. I would also like to see what Howard can do in two or three series. I know mistakes happen, but overall hope everything gels and we win big.

Great post RF.

I'd like to see most the crowd stay to the end so the guys that work hard in practice and finally get a chance to play actually have somebody watching them and for some, in their first college game.

I'd like to see the 2nd and 3rd string players turn this up a notch and force Coach Babers decisions for snaps to be the hardest/best he's had on the Hill and the 1st team to know that if they start to slack somebody is talented and right behind them ready to take their spot.

I want to see buy a vowel kick a couple of FGs on 1st down because that’s the only way he’d be able to get some work in.

On that note, one more to add:

• I'd like to see SZMYZZCTSTSZ knock down a few more XPs / FGs, building upon his strong performance in game 1 and bolstering his confidence for the rest of the season. Placekicking is going to important in the quest for bowl eligibility, and it will be important to avoid miscues [see: Florida State least year].

On that note, one more to add:

• I'd like to see SZMYZZCTSTSZ knock down a few more XPs / FGs, building upon his strong performance in game 1 and bolstering his confidence for the rest of the season. Placekicking is going to important in the quest for bowl eligibility, and it will be important to avoid miscues [see: Florida State least year].

Agree. Cole didn't have a bad year stat-wise last year but I held my breath every time and that FSU game was a big one.

want to see 2-3 rbs scores and the same from the WR.

power running in a game like this will be fantastic. It will allow the line to work on run blocking technique and dominate a smaller opponent. Our running game should put up big numbers

What I don't want to see:

1536244468609.png

Sweat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors