What I'd like to see on Offense | Syracusefan.com

What I'd like to see on Offense

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
They had about 5 practices between the last game and Tennessee.

Our offense doesn't seem to really have any plays right now.

A few simple things I would like to see:
  • Benny around the foul line, where he can catch and shoot or drive to the rim.
  • Some screens on the baseline
  • Don't forget about MacLeod after his first couple dunks.
  • Maliq Brown more active on the offensive boards
  • Fewer drives to nowhere from Judah

They had about 5 practices between the last game and Tennessee.

Our offense doesn't seem to really have any plays right now.

A few simple things I would like to see:
  • Benny around the foul line, where he can catch and shoot or drive to the rim.
  • Some screens on the baseline
  • Don't forget about MacLeod after his first couple dunks.
  • Maliq Brown more active on the offensive boards
  • Fewer drives to nowhere from Judah
yeah good ideas

I just dont wanna see everyone standing around while 1 player dribbles

also would be nice if multiple players try to be near the basket for rebounds after every shot

Watching the offense at times feels like JB never retired.
yeah i said in the game thread...seems Red kept a lot of the bad things about JB ...unfortunately.

he was bound to keep some things...but dinosaur era offense was one I was hoping to see the end of.

yeah i said in the game thread...seems Red kept a lot of the bad things about JB ...unfortunately.

he was bound to keep some things...but dinosaur era offense was one I was hoping to see the end of.

Red runs a lot of 4 out to help open lanes for JJ and Judah. JB didn’t run much 4 out.

Red runs a lot of 4 out to help open lanes for JJ and Judah. JB didn’t run much 4 out.
yeah I get that keeping lanes open is a good idea with so many penetrators...thats why in the offseason i advocated for finding a center that can shoot jumpshots. Mcleod doesnt fit with that scheme at all.

still, the guards arent really doing well to create if the drive is blockd or the shot isnt there (yet)...another thing to work on.

all that said, I clearly remember a ton of standing around on offense the last few seasons...and Im not a fan of that particular style of play...which seems to be part of the current approach as well...even if you can technically argue it is new and called "4 out"

It's still early. I would say that if the offense still looks this bad by January, then we should be concerned.

Therein lies the problem. Our offense isn’t going to look that great when neither of our starting guards can make shots consistently outside of 10 feet and we have zero post threat.

See, some of these things are teachable. I think MacLeod could be a guy who gets you 8 points, a handful of rebounds and blocks, if you played him 15-20 minutes and let him work through his mistakes against guys who are more his own size. Nobody can defend the lob to him, if the pass is on the money. Use that more, not once or twice, and then never again for the whole game.

You can't say that MacLeod can't do it if you really don't give him the ball.

Right, Judah, Benny and Copeland do not look like guys who are receptive to coaching, or else Red is just trying to let them play naturally to let them get comfortable before he starts instilling more offensive structure to what they do.

Right now, I just don't see a functional offense, and obvious things are not being done - at least not yet. You need to put motion and screens into this offense. They used to say that Boeheim put players in the position where they can contribute.

I've had my say about "pass & move" and don't want to just repeat myself. But they have to start doing something more structured than what they are trying to do right now. It's too one on one, and it's too many shots too early in the clock; not good shots at all.

He gets a mulligan until January, but by then if it still looks like this, that's a problem.

See, some of these things are teachable. I think MacLeod could be a guy who gets you 8 points, a handful of rebounds and blocks, if you played him 15-20 minutes and let him work through his mistakes against guys who are more his own size. Nobody can defend the lob to him, if the pass is on the money. Use that more, not once or twice, and then never again for the whole game.

You can't say that MacLeod can't do it if you really don't give him the ball.

Right, Judah, Benny and Copeland do not look like guys who are receptive to coaching, or else Red is just trying to let them play naturally to let them get comfortable before he starts instilling more offensive structure to what they do.

Right now, I just don't see a functional offense, and obvious things are not being done - at least not yet. You need to put motion and screens into this offense. They used to say that Boeheim put players in the position where they can contribute.

I've had my say about "pass & move" and don't want to just repeat myself. But they have to start doing something more structured than what they are trying to do right now. It's too one on one, and it's too many shots too early in the clock; not good shots at all.

He gets a mulligan until January, but by then if it still looks like this, that's a problem.
I think Mcleod has some ability, but if he isn't going to defend or rebound its hard to have him out there. I agree the offense looks dysfunctional and i put a lot of that on the guards.

We also have a few black holes. Chris Bell never passes. Whenever he gets the ball you can count on him shooting about 75% of the time. Benny was just as bad when he came in against Colgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom