What if we lose to Liberty? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

What if we lose to Liberty?

Nope.

FHCSMFS was (and likely still is) a really nice guy, and solid DC. So stipulated

He was a turrible HC - exactly because he “got the band back together” and hired all his Directional school coaching buddies.

Also - his crootin was bad, and getting worse.

Lastly - he didn’t have a single notable upset win. In 3 seasons.
Even GERG managed to beat ND.

Dino’s had the VaTech & Clemson upsets, and a 10 win season.

He also cleaned house after last year - and doing so, now has the highest rated class teed up in nearly TWO DECADES.

Shafer was fired at exactly the right time.
As a “continuity hire” he not only failed to maintain what St Doug had achieved, we were backsliding rapidly at the end of his tenure.

Which is why it was ended.
IF Dino watched Dungey fall to the turf with a ripped Achilles in the first quarter of the first game of the season then I don't see him beating VT or Clemson either. Nope. Shafer was cursed with QB injuries. His crootin was bad? Those guys did better for Dino than Dino's guys have so Dino's crootin must be a cesspool by your standards. This is the hypocrisy that gets me.

IF Dino watched Dungey fall to the turf with a ripped Achilles in the first quarter of the first game of the season then I don't see him beating VT or Clemson either. Nope. Shafer was cursed with QB injuries. His crootin was bad? Those guys did better for Dino than Dino's guys have so Dino's crootin must be a cesspool by your standards. This is the hypocrisy that gets me.

Yeah that's the thing. We win 10 games in 2018 because of Shafer's recruiting. Leading passer, rushers, receivers, tacklers all Shafer recruits.

Shafer was never given the resources Dino has. He had to hire the guys he hired due to the assistant coaches salary pool. He didn't have nearly as many off field roles that Dino has been handed.

This is typically what happens when you hire a new coach. You give him what he needs to be successful. Unfortunately, HCSS was never awarded that same opportunity.

we still have enough talent and our defense will expose what liberties offense has to offer! They do not have the big boys up front to push us around like Duke did and I think cutcliff is a very good coach and I think he figured out exactly what to do to expose our weakness on defense.
I am worried about the rest of the teams that I schedule but liberty like I said does not have the horses to compete with us. I think it will be close but we will come out on top

Then Dinos hot seat talk gets even hotter it's a game you CANNOT lose. No one cares that they have an sec coach or they are improving. It's Liberty at home. Chris Ash beat this team.

Nope.

FHCSMFS was (and likely still is) a really nice guy, and solid DC. So stipulated

He was a turrible HC - exactly because he “got the band back together” and hired all his Directional school coaching buddies.

Also - his crootin was bad, and getting worse.

Lastly - he didn’t have a single notable upset win. In 3 seasons.
Even GERG managed to beat ND.

Dino’s had the VaTech & Clemson upsets, and a 10 win season.

He also cleaned house after last year - and doing so, now has the highest rated class teed up in nearly TWO DECADES.

Shafer was fired at exactly the right time.
As a “continuity hire” he not only failed to maintain what St Doug had achieved, we were backsliding rapidly at the end of his tenure.

Which is why it was ended.
If you were in his shoes, who would you have hired? You have a low budget, poor facilities, and are late in the cycle. Other than “the band,” who would you have hired, and why would they have taken the job?

As for recruiting, if Dino isn’t doing better, we have problems. has a MUCH higher budget, better facilities, and a system designed to attract recruits at the expense of efficacy.

You’re also discounting the reality that the singly truly great season that we’ve had in the last 20 years was won on the backs of SS’ recruits. They surely couldn’t have been THAT bad...

If we lose to liberty Dino should be fired after the game. It’s that simple. Rules were set back in coach p days and they should still stand. Make a bowl, .500 record,... Dino has given us nothing other then one 10 win season with a senior class he didn’t recruit. This is his team that he put together, he needs to go if he loses to liberty.

Whoa, easy now. Dino is having problems, but to say he should be fired after this game is crazy. He is responsible for our poor depth, but liberty is coming into this game with better talent.

He won 10 games in year three. That’s vast improvement. Him not getting the job done now is a different argument than saying he hasn’t shown vast improvement during his tenure.
Come on now! We all know those wins were on ED! And the SS SS recievers and oline play.

So SS would have won 10 games that season? The guys such a good coach he’s still a G5 DC 5 years later. Revisionist history is the worst

Whoa, no he wounded Have. The fact is dino had his best season with ED and SS other recruits. Erv and Ishmael and other players on the OL and DL and lbs. It's a fast and isn't going away. That 10-3 season was a result of ED playing and making plays work with infiniuity and making things work in spite of dinos calls.

So SS would have won 10 games that season? The guys such a good coach he’s still a G5 DC 5 years later. Revisionist history is the worst

Whoa, no he wounded Have. The fact is dino had his best season with ED and SS other recruits. Erv and Ishmael and other players on the OL and DL and lbs. It's a fast and isn't going away. That 10-3 season was a result of ED playing and making plays work with infiniuity and making things work in spite of dinos calls.

I liked Scott Shafer, (and loved him as a DC). But he lost me as HC when, after ED went down in the Louisville game he and his OC gave two different explanations to why he was still in there when the game had been decided. The right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

I am no Shafer fan, but you can not ignore facts, and that fact is Dino's best year was with Shafer recruits as seniors. It has been a hot mess since.
Dino has never won with his own players. Thats the biggest concern with him. Can he identify and coach up talent. So far i would say he is mediocre at best. He has had success with a few transfers. Other than that name his recruits that have excelled. Here is my list.

Cisco
Trill
Smytz
Kingsley
Bergeron
Melafonua

thats pretty weak for the number of years hes been here.

Anyone else?

we still have enough talent and our defense will expose what liberties offense has to offer! They do not have the big boys up front to push us around like Duke did and I think cutcliff is a very good coach and I think he figured out exactly what to do to expose our weakness on defense.
I am worried about the rest of the teams that I schedule but liberty like I said does not have the horses to compete with us. I think it will be close but we will come out on top

The game doesn't matter, it's more about the future. That said, liberty has better skill guys and will take advantage of that.

Dino has never won with his own players. Thats the biggest concern with him. Can he identify and coach up talent. So far i would say he is mediocre at best. He has had success with a few transfers. Other than that name his recruits that have excelled. Here is my list.

Cisco
Trill
Smytz
Kingsley
Bergeron
Melafonua

thats pretty weak for the number of years hes been here.

Anyone else?

Dino has always won and lost with his own players. but many of them were not his own recruits.

Shafer got the maryland gig with a big salary and left for personal reasons, I'm sure he's had his share of P5 offers, he got his son of job lives in a nice part of the country and has none of the stress of a big time job.

Shafer got the maryland gig with a big salary and left for personal reasons, I'm sure he's had his share of P5 offers, he got his son of job lives in a nice part of the country and has none of the stress of a big time job.

murfreesboro... eh

MTSU is 1-4 so far, The stress may be ceeeping up.

A loss to liberty might result in some decommits. I hope not but man that would be tough to swallow if they lose. I’m almost wishing there wasn’t a season if they lose to Liberty. Bc this will do more harm than good

Scott Shafer is no longer here. He left 5 years ago. Can we put that chapter to rest, or am I allowed to wax poetic on how unfairly we treated Frank Maloney back in the 70’s?
Our HC for the foreseeable future is one Dino Babers. I still think he’s the man for the job. Now he just has to prove it. JMHO

Class looks good, and i share your enthusiasm. Average grade.(per 24+7)

2021 84.31
2019 84.83
2018 85.27

In 2007 ranked 45. 2000 ranked 18.

ACC RANK
2021: 12
2020 : 10
2019: 11
2018: 10
2017: 11
2016: 12

Last edited:
This thread is pretty ugly...is this like some sort of group therapy by intentionally skull yourselfs about possibly losing? Can’t some of ya wait until the game is played first? My goodness losing recruits...he should be immediately fired...cats and dogs are raining from the sky...not all of ya, but some of you in this thread have defeatist attitudes and that is garbage. Some of you are bigger hot mess then the actual team at the moment. RELAX...and support the kids going out there and putting it on the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom