What if we lose to Liberty? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What if we lose to Liberty?

This thread is pretty ugly...is this like some sort of group therapy by intentionally skull yourselfs about possibly losing? Can’t some of ya wait until the game is played first? My goodness losing recruits...he should be immediately fired...cats and dogs are raining from the sky...not all of ya, but some of you in this thread have defeatist attitudes and that is garbage. Some of you are bigger hot mess then the actual team at the moment. RELAX...and support the kids going out there and putting it on the line.
You gone soft. I guess this is the prevailing state of the Syracuse football program. Soft as puppy fur.

Liberty should beat us though, they're in a recruiting hot bed, right??

Coaches either work or they don't. It seems like you have to give him another year but geeze the excuses and reasons we accept for failure are sometimes silly.

You are what your record says you are. Sometimes you can change. I like that Dino brought in a new defensive scheme, but hiring a guy to run the same offense that seems a bit outdated/easy to defend after you've figured out cramping, may end up his downfall.

Everyone calm
Down. We will win big this weekend. This defense is really good. They have been forced to play too much so far and that won’t happen on Saturday.

I suspect 35-7. Regarding Dino, he is not going anywhere so I hope he coaches that way and gets very creative w the frosh and see what we have for next year

If Syracuse sneaks out a win whether it’s by 1 point or 30, then whatever happens the rest of the season happens, and next year Dino needs to regroup but his seat should be warm

if Syracuse loses by 7 or less his seat should be burning and need to make a bowl game next year to keep his job.
If it’s more then 7 he should be fired after the post game press conference (I know this would never happen) but guys making millions and he would have shown he is failing at his job miserably.

If Syracuse sneaks out a win whether it’s by 1 point or 30, then whatever happens the rest of the season happens, and next year Dino needs to regroup but his seat should be warm

if Syracuse loses by 7 or less his seat should be burning and need to make a bowl game next year to keep his job.
If it’s more then 7 he should be fired after the post game press conference (I know this would never happen) but guys making millions and he would have shown he is failing at his job miserably.

We can't assume any seat is warm unless any of you know what the finances are for the athletic dept post covid, and is anyone (Steve Barnes?) gonna step forward and write the buy out check. It's foolish to suggest the school will just cut bait without some specific financial netting to withstand this.

The school isn't going to fire Dino and hire one of his assistants on the cheap mind you. This will be an expensive hire just like it was pricy to re-up Dino.

We need to remove this thought until someone can give me an answer on the finances of the AD. The other fly in the ointment has to be Jim Boeheim and if he retires that will be a costly replacement too. Jim has been pretty cheap for oh 45 years.

We can't assume any seat is warm unless any of you know what the finances are for the athletic dept post covid, and is anyone (Steve Barnes?) gonna step forward and write the buy out check. It's foolish to suggest the school will just cut bait without some specific financial netting to withstand this.

The school isn't going to fire Dino and hire one of his assistants on the cheap mind you. This will be an expensive hire just like it was pricy to re-up Dino.

We need to remove this thought until someone can give me an answer on the finances of the AD. The other fly in the ointment has to be Jim Boeheim and if he retires that will be a costly replacement too. Jim has been pretty cheap for oh 45 years.
I can tell you Basketball will never interfere with Football... and I can tell you if they are spending $180 million on football facilities and it’s upgrades they will find the $$$ to try yet another rebuild if it comes to it.

All the Shafer fans boys coming out of the wood work.

Beyond stupid.
It is interesting - I didn't know Shafer had that many fans. I'm not sure he should have been given more time just as I"m not sure Dino should but I think that is an economic issue among other things.

I was a Marrone guy and he apparently has no fans on the board.

Dino has never won with his own players. Thats the biggest concern with him. Can he identify and coach up talent. So far i would say he is mediocre at best. He has had success with a few transfers. Other than that name his recruits that have excelled. Here is my list.

Cisco
Trill
Smytz
Kingsley
Bergeron
Melafonua

thats pretty weak for the number of years hes been here.

Anyone else?
That list seems to be a pretty loose definition of excelled.

And i thought you were above semantics:).

I've had plenty of antics in my time. ;)

What I meant is that when a coach becomes head coach, those are his players. He and hsi staff will coach them and try to fit them into their system or find a system that works with them as best they can. If they do it successfully, that doesn't mean that those victories should be attributed to the prior coach.

I think the issue here is: where are the sophomores and juniors? Why are our starters being replaced by so many freshmen? I think the fact that's it's hard to put together a class in the season in which a new staff takes over and that you have to establish relationships with schools, coaches and parents and it takes a while to get the recruiting cranked up again.

That's a reason not to make changes too quickly. People are saying "look at his record when you take out the 10-3 season", (something Shafer never achieved with those players). You can't take it out. That season shows what Dino Babers is capable of. I just think the ACC is so much more difficult than our prior situations that we have to build up to a season like that rather than expect to stay at that level year after year. There will be more years like that if we don't panic and make a premature change.

After all, "Premature anything is bad..."

1602613081765.png

Last edited:
A loss to liberty might result in some decommits. I hope not but man that would be tough to swallow if they lose. I’m almost wishing there wasn’t a season if they lose to Liberty. Bc this will do more harm than good

Why is this such a big deal? Liberty has talent and even t25 votes this week. I get it, casuals look at the name but as much as I have been on dino and the staff; we have alot of injuries, injured starters and qb and no backup plan at qb. It's more about the big picture. Sure, would love to win but a loss shouldn't surprise anyone.

Why is this such a big deal? Liberty has talent and even t25 votes this week. I get it, casuals look at the name but as much as I have been on dino and the staff; we have alot of injuries, injured starters and qb and no backup plan at qb. It's more about the big picture. Sure, would love to win but a loss shouldn't surprise anyone.
I actually think the optics outweigh if they are better or not. The average person (without knowing the game) is going to assume Syracuse should win 100/100 times. I think big picture it’s pretty bad for the fan base and potential recruits even tho they should lose on paper.

I agree with some of your statement but I also disagree, I think every game matters. Recruits are always watching

Great point, I overlooked that angle. Such a slippery add slope for us right now with that aspect being the big picture I mentioned. Its strange, our situation sells some recruits with early playing time but at the same time they also want to see direction and a few wins.

I actually think the optics outweigh if they are better or not. The average person (without knowing the game) is going to assume Syracuse should win 100/100 times. I think big picture it’s pretty bad for the fan base and potential recruits even tho they should lose on paper.

Great point, optics in the world we live in carries the most juice. Heck, hope we win with some positives to the future.

You gone soft. I guess this is the prevailing state of the Syracuse football program. Soft as puppy fur.
Hey the troll speaks! Cool. I saw your article in the newspaper yesterday congrats!
69FA7DA3-2C9C-452A-AE97-EF48ACC349A0.gif

Hey the troll speaks! Cool. I saw your article in the newspaper yesterday congrats!
View attachment 189385
I'm sure fans of any other college football team that has had as much success and as many all-time greats both in college and the NFL as the Orange have had wouldn't have such a blaise point of view as you espoused. This would cause an all out uprising at even moderately successful football schools.

We lost at home to Middle Tennessee in 2017. With our starting qb and full complement of rb's.

Is Liberty worse than Middle Tennessee?

Great point, I overlooked that angle. Such a slippery add slope for us right now with that aspect being the big picture I mentioned. Its strange, our situation sells some recruits with early playing time but at the same time they also want to see direction and a few wins.
Exactly u got it bud. We have been slowly digressing since the 10 win season and especially with this liberty game, have to show that the wheels haven’t fallen off

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom