What if we lose to Liberty? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

What if we lose to Liberty?

I'm sure fans of any other college football team that has had as much success and as many all-time greats both in college and the NFL as the Orange have had wouldn't have such a blaise point of view as you espoused. This would cause an all out uprising at even moderately successful football schools.
So people panicking before an event has even happened is ”blaise”in your words? Or my reference to someone’s comment he should be immediately terminated is “blaise”? Or my comment about not having a defeatist attitude as a fan was “blaise”? If so then two quick comments. First it blasé, not blaise. Blaise is a guy who went to prep school and whose dad bought him a vette his senior year. Second if ya meant blasé, then...
5E0B699D-7839-4F4D-92FB-7F2C6EA772F8.gif

Nothing in my comment you responded to even suggests a blasé perspective on my part. Now if I said let’s wait 5 more years for Dino on top of the 5 years he has had, then you would have an argument that I have taken a blasé approach to the program.

I've had plenty of antics in my time. ;)

What I meant is that when a coach becomes head coach, those are his players. He and hsi staff will coach them and try to fit them into their system or find a system that works with them as best they can. If they do it successfully, that doesn't mean that those victories should be attributed to the prior coach.

I think the issue ehre is: where are the sophomores and juniors? Why are our starters being replaced by so many freshmen? I think the fact that's it's hard to put together a class in the season in which a new staff takes over and that you have to establish relationships with schools, coaches and parents and ti takes a while to get the recruiting cranked up again.

That's a reason not to make changes too quickly. People are saying "looked his record when you take out the 10-3 season, (something Shafer never achieved with those players). You can't take it out. That season shows what Dino Babers is capable of. I just think the ACC is so much more difficult than our prior situations that we have to build up to a season like that rather than expect to stay at that level year after year. There will be more years like that if we don't panic and make a premature change.

After all, "Premature anything is bad..."

View attachment 189377
Might be valid but does not seem to apply at many other football programs. Also Shafer was only in year two when those seniors were recruited so where are Dinos recruits in year five? The program this year is bad no matter how you cut it, I do not want to fire Dino yet but we seem to have regressed. I expect(expected) better.

next year's OOC opponents:

at Ohio, Rutgers, Liberty, Albany

yep, better get those 4 and a measly 2 conference wins. I like Dino, but in year 6, with this schedule, we better get back to a bowl.
You are assuming back to normal schedule, I am not so sure about that but hope you are correct.

I would take Marrone over Shaffer or Dino.

Yes, marrone didn't care for recruiting but he ran a good ship. His assistants recruited, some good pros and he was ready gameday with a plan. Players played hard and there was structure. This year is very flat in terms of the vibe and effort. Not sure where he lost it, but this isn't the dino we hired.

So people panicking before an event has even happened is ”blaise”in your words? Or my reference to someone’s comment he should be immediately terminated is “blaise”? Or my comment about not having a defeatist attitude as a fan was “blaise”? If so then two quick comments. First it blasé, not blaise. Blaise is a guy who went to prep school and whose dad bought him a vette his senior year. Second if ya meant blasé, then...
View attachment 189386
Nothing in my comment you responded to even suggests a blasé perspective on my part. Now if I said let’s wait 5 more years for Dino on top of the 5 years he has had, then you would have an argument that I have taken a blasé approach to the program.
I'm not "panicking" about the Liberty game. I actually think Liberty is a solid team on the rise who could beat a lot of P5 teams, especially if they looked past them. It's just difficult to have the same expectations for the Orange that UCONN does for their program. I will have to learn to live with it as you have.

Shafer got the maryland gig with a big salary and left for personal reasons, I'm sure he's had his share of P5 offers, he got his son of job lives in a nice part of the country and has none of the stress of a big time job.
Agreed - The guy was DC at Stanford, Michigan, Syracuse (then HC), and UMD (before he chose to resign for personal reasons).

I have no idea if he would have been a HC. I don’t think he ever got a fair shake, so definitively saying one way or the other strikes me as reaching. I do know that he was a very good DC, and he can absolutely land P5 jobs if he wants them. I think he’s just happy with his situation in life.

Yes, marrone didn't care for recruiting but he ran a good ship. His assistants recruited, some good pros and he was ready gameday with a plan. Players played hard and there was structure. This year is very flat in terms of the vibe and effort. Not sure where he lost it, but this isn't the dino we hired.
I think Marrones dislike for recruiting centered around that kid from New York (name?) that Notre Dame swooped in and dropped a bag on at the 11th hour. It was an ugly thing from the FI's.

I think Marrones dislike for recruiting centered around that kid from New York (name?) that Notre Dame swooped in and dropped a bag on at the 11th hour. It was an ugly thing from the FI's.
Yeah, the one whose mom and dad went to SU, and who wanted to protect the kid’s “brand.” I think he was a 4* DE whose final 3 was SU, PSU, and ND.

I can’t remember his name. I feel like he flakes out at ND, too, but I don’t remember for sure. It must have been around ‘11.

Yeah, the one whose mom and dad went to SU, and who wanted to protect the kid’s “brand.” I think he was a 4* DE whose final 3 was SU, PSU, and ND.

I can’t remember his name. I feel like he flakes out at ND, too, but I don’t remember for sure. It must have been around ‘11.
I know Ishaq didn't really pan out, but at that time it was going to be a huge get for Marrone which could have helped recruiting jump up a couple of notches. Notre Dame and Penn State do not want to see Syracuse gain their footing and compete with them for top recruits in the northeast and will play dirty pool to thwart it. It probably happened other times but that one stood out.

I'm not "panicking" about the Liberty game. I actually think Liberty is a solid team on the rise who could beat a lot of P5 teams, especially if they looked past them. It's just difficult to have the same expectations for the Orange that UCONN does for their program. I will have to learn to live with it as you have.
That's a leap...nowhere have I made any comments that would suggest what you state in your last sentence but again that's your m/o, making inaccurate comments to do that trolling thing you do. All good Cous...I know what you are so no harm. Moving on...keep on blaising Cous!

That's a leap...nowhere have I made any comments that would suggest what you state in your last sentence but again that's your m/o, making inaccurate comments to do that trolling thing you do. All good Cous...I know what you are so no harm. Moving on...keep on blaising Cous!
The Orange are a home dog to LIBERTY. We have no roster, no legit backup QB. Teams are rushing for 350+ yards against the D. Liberty is going to have better WR's on the field than SU. People who have followed the team year after year, some fot for 30, 40, 50 years are having serious angst. Then you put down these fans for feeling this way. If the basketball team had even a fraction of this dysfunction, people would go nuts. This team is tanked, maybe they will get it together next year.

Agreed - The guy was DC at Stanford, Michigan, Syracuse (then HC), and UMD (before he chose to resign for personal reasons).

I have no idea if he would have been a HC. I don’t think he ever got a fair shake, so definitively saying one way or the other strikes me as reaching. I do know that he was a very good DC, and he can absolutely land P5 jobs if he wants them. I think he’s just happy with his situation in life.

Oh shut the front door already about him “not getting a fair shake”.
You saying that repeatedly, does not make it any less untrue.

He had a fairer shake than Marrone did.
We were already back from the abyss of the GERG error by the end, and he was supposed to build on that.
Or at least maintain it.

He did neither.

As a continuity hire, you are expected to at least keep on keeping on whatever success had been achieved.
Saint Doug managed to get to .500 and 2 bowl game wins in 4 years. Plus several solid Pros.

Shafer achieved exactly NONE OF THAT.

We were already back from the abyss of the GERG error by the end, and he was supposed to build on that.
Or at least maintain it.

He did neither.

As a continuity hire, you are expected to at least keep on keeping on whatever success had been achieved.
Saint Doug managed to get to .500 and 2 bowl game wins in 4 years. Plus several solid Pros.

I’ll stop saying it when it stops being true.

Your barely literate ramblings don’t change what happened 5 years ago. Sorry.

DM took almost the entirety of his staff. It’s not like SS had a lot of coaching pieces in place to continue, and it’s not like he ever had a realistic chance to get said pieces, either.

Also, saying he isn’t as good as the otherwise best coach that we’ve had in 15 years, while probably true, doesn’t mean much of anything (unless you think DM was a bad coach). DB isn’t as good as DM, and the guy after DB probably won’t be, either.

Or at least maintain it.

He did neither.

How do you know SS wouldn't have gotten to a bowl in his 4th year, that would have been 2 in 4 years but he didn't get that chance. If his QB's stayed healthy he would have, IMO.

Graham Harrell and Todd Graham should be some of the first two calls if DB gets canned, graham is a solid coach who can recruit if he has success at hawaii this year and next it's a no brainer, only making 760k their so not that expensive. Harrell turned around both UNT & USC offenses, look whats happening at UNT now that he's gone, USC had a top 5 passing offense, he can recruit and would bring the offense, and if god forbid he had success and a big time program got him that'd better than us firing coaches after losing seasons, hope if doesn't get to this point and DB has success but their are tons of good potential candidates, hopefully we don't limit out scope like we did in 2016 which could've turned out with chris ash...

Everyone calm
Down. We will win big this weekend. This defense is really good. They have been forced to play too much so far and that won’t happen on Saturday.

I suspect 35-7. Regarding Dino, he is not going anywhere so I hope he coaches that way and gets very creative w the frosh and see what we have for next year
Its mind boggling to think any sane person would think we can beat anyone by 28 and score 35 points. We might not score 35 points the rest of the season . Haha. I told you a million times not to exaggerate.

Everyone calm
Down. We will win big this weekend. This defense is really good. They have been forced to play too much so far and that won’t happen on Saturday.

I suspect 35-7. Regarding Dino, he is not going anywhere so I hope he coaches that way and gets very creative w the frosh and see what we have for next year

???? This defense is really good? They are on the field in part bc they are getting run over in the run game and cant get off the field. also, our DBS are getting beat and the dl gets no push. I like our young talent but we are giving up 550-650 yds a game!

As for dino and being creative and showing some juice, haven't seen it yet this year and has a defeated vibe about him. I am routimg for him to turn it around but the coaching from dino on down has been abysmal.

I am going to say this and its not pretty. I went back and viewed 2 Liberty games and i saw a team that has more size than we do on BOTH lines... There #1 Wr is better than any of ours... There LB's are big enough to not allow us to run the ball... On tape they look more athletic than we do on offense… I think we have a better than 60% chance of losing this game. I am expecting a 31-17 type game that we lose… We can win but its going to take a very big effort...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom