What I'm hearing | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we're getting anybody who is already well established at a P5 or top tier school; we want a guy still on the way up.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't get some decent candidates. I mean, we have one of the biggest budgets in all of college basketball, aside from the Dome and the Melo Center, and our reputation, which is still a respected national brand.

Somebody who is coaching for a school that doesn't support their coach to the coach's reasonable expectations is the guy we can get. Or a guy who is looking to move from G5 to P5. A couple of those emerge every season from the NCAA tournament.
John Wildhack has an extraordinary list of contacts in the college athletics world to discuss this with. I think he is better positioned to identify the top candidates, understand the pros and cons and make an informed decision than anyone on this board (or even any other AD in the country).

This idea that he is going to limit himself to one of the assistants is pretty foolish. He is not going to do the easy thing here; he is going to do the right thing.

John is not some hired gun looking to make a quick buck and move to a bigger school. He is one of us and I can guarantee you that he cares about our basketball program (and all other SU sports) at least as much as any of us.

I don't know John. He is not a friend of mine and I am sure he would not recognize me if we met face to face (might think oh I see this guy at a lot of events, he must be a big fan).

If I had to pick one person to make the choice for our next men's HC for basketball, I would pick John. Without question or hesitation.

Whoever he picks is going to be a great choice.

Of this, I have great confidence.

John Wildhack has an extraordinary list of contacts in the college athletics world to discuss this with. I think he is better positioned to identify the top candidates, understand the pros and cons and make an informed decision than anyone on this board (or even any other AD in the country).

This idea that he is going to limit himself to one of the assistants is pretty foolish. He is not going to do the easy thing here; he is going to do the right thing.

John is not some hired gun looking to make a quick buck and move to a bigger school. He is one of us and I can guarantee you that he cares about our basketball program (and all other SU sports) at least as much as any of us.

I don't know John. He is not a friend of mine and I am sure he would not recognize me if we met face to face (might think oh I see this guy at a lot of events, he must be a big fan).

If I had to pick one person to make the choice for our next men's HC for basketball, I would pick John. Without question or hesitation.

Cat, John might have been watching America's most wanted and in that case, he would recognize you.

I hope you are right but I feel JB will have a large influence on picking his successor.

Agree with your conclusion. Great post, and would like this post +1000 if it were possible.

Here is my list of 5 "national search" candidates: Not in preferred order...
  • Mark Schmidt - St Bonaventure - Experience, "local to recruiting area - Darn good coach.
  • TJ Otzelberger - Iowa St - Experience (SD St, UNLV and ISU) SU another step up - His teams play hard.
  • Shaka Smart - Marquette - Flavor of the country 7 years ago, probably a better coach now after 6 years at Texas and now Marquette.
  • Scott Nagy - Wright St - This is who you hire if you want somebody to coach the game. Recruiting would have to rely on assistants and the program.
  • Tommy Amaker - Harvard - Good coach. How sweet would it be for TA to lead SU to yearly romps over Duke and their 2nd choice (K's choice) of a head coach. Condition of hiring would have to exclude any other Dukies on the staff because, well, we're still Syracuse and let's not go nuts.
I would say all 5 are better choices than any in house candidate including Hop, on paper. But it is a complete unknown if Red, Gerry or AG would be good head coaches. Does SU/JW have enough confidence in one of them to take the chance?

• Mark Schmidt - St Bonaventure - Experience, "local to recruiting area - Darn good coach.
  • TJ Otzelberger - Iowa St - Experience (SD St, UNLV and ISU) SU another step up - His teams play hard.
  • Shaka Smart - Marquette - Flavor of the country 7 years ago, probably a better coach now after 6 years at Texas and now Marquette.
  • Scott Nagy - Wright St - This is who you hire if you want somebody to coach the game. Recruiting would have to rely on assistants and the program.
  • Tommy Amaker - Harvard - Good coach. How sweet would it be for TA to lead SU to yearly romps over Duke and their 2nd choice (K's choice) of a head coach. Condition of hiring would have to exclude any other Dukies on the staff because, well, we're still Syracuse and let's not go nuts.
I would say all 5 are better choices than any in house candidate including Hop, on paper. But it is a complete unknown if Red, Gerry or AG would be good head coaches. Does SU/JW have enough confidence in one of them to take the chance?
It's possible to quibble, but overall I think you've given us a reasonable list.

Now, if you perform the same exercise 12 months from now, the list will probably be different, and different again a year after that.

TJ has a solid amount of coaching ties to Iowa State...I would be surprised if he were to leave for Cuse

It's possible to quibble, but overall I think you've given us a reasonable list.

Now, if you perform the same exercise 12 months from now, the list will probably be different, and different again a year after that.

Well of course. The people who are looking for a new job changes every year.

Very possibly. But as of now I think they're all staying where they are, will likely have winning seasons again next year and SU will still be a better job than they have. And yes, other names will bubble up. I was really just kind of coming up with a realistic list of candidates without all the pie in the sky dreamworlds of Wright and Stevens etc.

That list does nothing for me. I want a coach with eastern recruiting ties. There are only two on that list and one is coaching in the Ivy and the other is older than I would want. I am still looking.

Nice list! Of these guys, I wouldn't mind Schmidt, Smart or Amaker. I think all 3 could do well here.

Mike Hopkins winning percentage at Washington: .531
Shaka Smart winning percentage at Texas and marq: .559

His team was exciting for 6 games in 2011 at VCU. That was a long time ago.

With numbers like that we are hiring the alum every time. Not enough of a difference.

Last edited:
Amaker would be quite the hire! lol...can just see the Duke - SU matchups now ...

I think the former SU - NBA players might be interesting...jason hart? melo????? etc

I would be interested in the names of five “big time” coaches who people think might be willing to come to SU. I don’t think there are any. Please, Rick Pitino is not an option.
We should keep an eye on Mike Boynton at Oklahoma State. He’s from Brooklyn. Stillwater is a really hard place to recruit to and win consistently, and he’s done a nice job there so far. I’d like to see a few more years of results from him, and we should have that before JB is ready to retire.

People on this board seem to really value coaches with roots in the Midwest. Nagy seems like a solid coach. I mean that. But I am not sure 20 years in South Dakota translates to coaching at SU and in the ACC. It's a different world "up here."

I'd keep digging.

We should keep an eye on Mike Boynton at Oklahoma State. He’s from Brooklyn. Stillwater is a really hard place to recruit to and win consistently, and he’s done a nice job there so far. I’d like to see a few more years of results from him, and we should have that before JB is ready to retire.
This is a respectable name you've offered.

Mike Boynton
Five years as HC. Record of 87–73 (.544), 12 games under .500 in the Big 12.
They cheated along the way, at least to some degree. Was it his fault? Perhaps not.

Gimme our own "flawed" candidate.

I don’t think the fan base would jump up and down with any of these candidates. None of them would make me jump to renew season tickets.

It’s gonna be
Head coach- Red
Associate head coach-Gmac
Assistant-Griff
Assistant-Stevie Thompson

This year is this year, and next year is a year away. There will be other Shaneen Holloway's, Chris Jans', Kenny Payne's, Todd Golden's ect. Will any of them be a fit... who knows, but its a bit too premature (and we all know how JAB feels about anything premature) to figure out who will be available and who we should hire at this juncture IF JB leaves at the end of next year.

It’s gonna be
Head coach- Red
Associate head coach-Gmac
Assistant-Griff
Assistant-Stevie Thompson
Nothing against anyone on that list but I don't see how that really gets us back to being us. If it is Red, that is one thing but he needs a experienced guy sitting next to him and a powerful recruiter next to him. I don't see Stevie giving us much. He has no East coast ties that I know of.

I believe there's a 0% chance JW hires someone who is not a SU basketball alumni. 0%. It can't imagine it's not simply between Red and Hop.

JB commented on Coach K's succession plan, specifically the part where it was passed down within the program, and said something like "that's the way to do it".

I think Hop is the first choice, in part, because nothing has been announced. Obviously you cannot announce the plan if it involves taking Washington's coach. On the other hand, you could announce the plan if it involved promoting the SU associate head coach, and, from a talent retention and recruiting standpoint, I don't see any benefit to withholding that information if that's the case. If Red's taking over, it would be easier to land and keep players if you tell them that. Last time there was a succession plan (when Hop was coach-in-waiting), they announced the plan. Granted things changed and the plan wasn't executed, but it didn't fail because the plan was public. What reason would SU have to do anything differently the second time (except maybe not identifying an exact deadline in case JB wants an extra year or two)?

On the other hand, maybe it's private simply because JB doesn't like talking about his retirement. We all know that, and Buddy even said as much on a recent podcast I believe with Mike Waters. Buddy said he thinks JB coaches 1-3 more years (with 3 being likely the absolute most), but said he has no idea and JB doesn't talk about it (who knows if that's true, but the point remains).

Also, Chris Bunch said he really liked Hop and was about to commit, but "things changed over night". That could mean he was told Hop was coming back to SU, and that saves him from having to transfer to follow his coach. Could also mean nothing. Hearing something about Hop's potential return would make sense, but I also have a hard time believing they told a kid about it and trust him to keep it quiet.

When asked about the SU job within the last year or so, Hop gave a vague answer -- something like he's worried about winning games this season. That's the exact type of answer someone gives who wants to be considered for the job and leave his options open.

Hop's days at Washington might be limited whether he likes it or not, another reason for him to reset the shot clock and move back to SU.

He would also be more successful on the East Coast given his connections. He wants to build a legacy, and will want to coach the team that will provide him the best opportunity for success.

Hop's best asset is his charisma (as per accounts; I've never met him). Coaching is a job. Charismatic people have a tendency to land jobs. He knows all the decision-makers and important people affiliated with SU, and one could see him being able to talk his way into the job, despite his ups and downs at Washington.

Hop's aging parents work against this though, as he may want to be on the West coast for end of life care. If they are getting close to end of life, and if that's the plan everyone settled on, I'm sure JB would coach an extra year or so (as long as he's healthy). Not sure if he has siblings who live near his parents and could care for them.

There's a lot of moving pieces to bringing Hop back to SU, so I would give at least equal odds the next coach is Red.

Hop was a great recruiter and the program's recent demise was exacerbated by his leaving. Not only was he a recruiting ace, but all of the guys loved him. He kept kids in the program who wanted to leave, including Dion Waiters. That's incredibly important in the new era of the transfer portal. Listen to Devo's podcasts -- Hop was their guy. Syracuse's main issue lately has been lack of top talent. If he can bring that back to SU, then why not give him a chance. Bring in guys with NBA potential and let them get buckets. They don't need to (and won't) give him a lifetime contract. Give him 5 years and see if he can bring them back to consistently being in the top 25 and landing top 75 recruits. If not, move on and open it up. The mixed results at Washington shouldn't count him out. He inherited a dead program and revived it, and then had ups and downs (with the downs being really bad). It's hard to be good at your job, no matter the job, without experience and failing a few times. Maybe he got it out of his system, learned from his mistakes and learned what works and what doesn't, and is ready to lead a winning team. Ultimately, Hop has potential--whether or not he's lived up to it yet--and he's the most obvious choice and close to the program, so why not try it for a few years.

I think a national search for non-SU alumni would be wildly underwhelming. We won't land a big-name proven winner. Popovich isn't going to leave the NBA to coach Syracuse. Rick Pitino has a stained record and SU is paranoid about more sanctions. I think the candidates will be coaches looking to make their name, not unlike Hop or even Red. That means it would be hard to beat out a charismatic alumni who has proven he can recruit and retain talent in Syracuse NY at the highest level. If I'm wrong, and there's a really qualified candidate, by all means hire him. I just don't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom