What is lost in all this Ash anger... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is lost in all this Ash anger...

The Law of Contrary Public Opinion is starting to come into play here... If everyone says Ash is a terrible hire, I'm now going to assume he'll win four national championships in a distinguished 20-year career as head coach at SU. I look forward to showing my kids the Coach Ash statue outside the Dome in 2036.

right, like i said.

Sorry, looks like I only read your first 2 sentences.

I'm a busy man.

(no I'm not, I'm chained to this board this week).

I'm a busy man.

Im with you. I came to work early just so i could get extra board-time in.

I'm a busy man.

Last week you were chained to a radiator.

What the hell has Scott Frost accomplished, then? Tell me that?

What a crock. People are just looking for reasons to hate any hire that isn't their favorite.

You have to love Syracuse fans: getting negative about people who haven't even been hired yet. This is the most miserable fanbase in the world, I swear to god.
I didn't want Scott Frost.

Believe me. I'm looking for reasons to love the hire. I just can't find any.

I love how when a thread gets started, it's averaging about 4-5 posts/minute.

Well done Syracuse fans, well done.

I didn't want Scott Frost.

Believe me. I'm looking for reasons to love the hire. I just can't find any.
Fair enough if you didn't want Frost.

But, and this is a general statement, yesterday half the people here were "What's Frost done? Anyone can put up offense with those recruits, and he's just using Kelly's system!" And now today, when we don't get Frost and move on, it's "I can't believe we didn't get Frost! What's Ash done?" And then if inexplicably we don't wind up with Ash, I'm sure tomorrow it'll be, "We're doomed, we didn't get Ash, he won a title at Ohio State and is on the Urban Meyer tree, we're screwed!"

The negativity within this fanbase is just astounding. We'll never NOT find a reason to gripe.

Everyone here would hire Urban Meyer in a heartbeat. But no one here trusts the intelligence of Meyer to hire the right DC to coach his team. I'm not a smart man. And I have no insight or opinion about Ash. But even I know how ridiculously stupid this board is acting.

What a crock. People are just looking for reasons to hate any hire that isn't their favorite.

You have to love Syracuse fans: getting negative about people who haven't even been hired yet. This is the most miserable fanbase in the world, I swear to god.

The answer is there is really no difference between Frost and Ash in terms of where they are at in there career. Both are top flight coordinators and top flight schools. Frost leads one of the nations best offenses and Ash "CO" leads one of the best defenses. Frost is said to be good with QBs and Ash is said to be good with DBs. Both have no recruiting ties in the northeast and both have no head coaching experience.

The problem that most have is the style of play difference. With Frost we got the promise of an high powered offense and a coach that is super aggressive and leans towards offense. This is something that we haven't had in the last 15 years. Most people that are mad were extremely excited about the possibility of an offense like that lighting up the dome. Not only that but the entertainment value would be high...
With a defensive coach is it the opposite feeling. It is more of the same. By nature he will choose to be less aggressive on offense and be more conservative like we have see for the better part of the last 15 years. You can say wait who he hires as OC maybe Coyle makes him higher someone but in the end it will be forced and a defensive coach will not want to have an explosive high powered offense it just isn't in there nature it isn't what they know.

People who wanted Shafer fired where hoping for a change in philosophy more than anything else. And now instead of that change we are going to be doing the same thing we have done the last 15 years. They are frustrated to say the least.

Chris Ash was hired by Urban Meyer in January 2014 to help a proud Ohio State defense return to its status among the nation’s elite after it had fallen to a ranking of 112 in pass defense in 2013 and to additional rankings of 83rd in pass efficiency and 47th in total defense.

One year later – a year that included Ohio State winning the national championship plus Sugar Bowl and Big Ten Conference championships – and Ash and his defensive coaching peers had the Buckeye defenders back to their “Silver Bullet” status with national rankings of 13th in efficiency, 19th in total defense and 29th against the pass.

In addition, the Buckeyes ranked fourth nationally with 24 interceptions, a total that is topped by only one previous Ohio State team.

“We’ve competed against a Chris Ash defense before and I have respect for him as a coach,” Meyer said when announcing the hiring of Ash. “I like the fact he has experience in the Big Ten Conference and that he is a great recruiter. He was highly recommended by everyone I spoke to.”

The kicker is that all of the Anti-HCSS people that couldn't fathom giving him one more year are groaning the most and the loudest. It's actually pretty funny. Be careful what you wish for ya'll.

Everyone here would hire Urban Meyer in a heartbeat. But no one here trusts the intelligence of Meyer to hire the right DC to coach his team. I'm not a smart man. And I have no insight or opinion about Ash. But even I know how ridiculously stupid this board is acting.

I trust Meyer to hire a good DC but we aren't hiring Ash as a DC we are hiring him as a HC. There is no question he can coach defense and defensive backs.

He maybe an air raid guy but here is the problem. We have a defense minded coach. He will never trust the offense it will alway give to the defense and let them make the play. We are also at the mercy of an oc.
Dumbest argument. I defensive guy named Paul Pasqualoni had a lot of great years at SU, and our offense was quite good... We even had a QB named Mcnabb. Ring any bells?

MCuse44 said:
im saying being in the right place in at the right tim to be a safeties coach? Fickell is the real DC. Check out their website. http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/coaches.html

Says co-defensive coordinator. And we have an OSU fan in the board. Maybe he'll chime in as he did in other threads. Says when it comes to OSU defense, Ash is the real deal.

We have been conditioned that way. Most of the decision making over the past two decades has been poor and short sighted.

I think we are just the opposite. After all the disappointment, we have 4,000 board members most of whom care deeply. If they didn't care they would be silent.

Fair enough if you didn't want Frost.

But, and this is a general statement, yesterday half the people here were "What's Frost done? Anyone can put up offense with those recruits, and he's just using Kelly's system!" And now today, when we don't get Frost and move on, it's "I can't believe we didn't get Frost! What's Ash done?" And then if inexplicably we don't wind up with Ash, I'm sure tomorrow it'll be, "We're doomed, we didn't get Ash, he won a title at Ohio State and is on the Urban Meyer tree, we're screwed!"

The negativity within this fanbase is just astounding. We'll never NOT find a reason to gripe.
Your post doesn't apply to me. I've been very consistent in what I think and what I want for the program. I'm sure the vast majority of individuals on this forum have been.

We've won 7 games in two years and haven't sniffed the Top 25 since 2001. I'm sure all college football fanbases would be lollipops and rainbows in the same boat.

We have been conditioned that way. Most of the decision making over the past two decades has been poor and short sighted.

I think we are just the opposite. After all the disappointment, we have 4,000 board members most of whom care deeply. If they didn't care they would be silent.
I haven't been conditioned this way, and I've been a Syracuse fan my entire life.

I get that we all care deeply. But my god, the doom and gloom is just second to none around here.

The coaching fraternity is not run on meritocracy. Largely buddies and loyalty rank #1. To me, ash falls into that category. I just do not see the upside at all.

Your post doesn't apply to me. I've been very consistent in what I think and what I want for the program. I'm sure the vast majority of individuals on this forum have been.

We've won 7 games in two years and haven't sniffed the Top 25 since 2001. I'm sure all college football fanbases would be lollipops and rainbows in the same boat.
Fine. Then if Ash is hired, and he turns out to be a great coach, please be consistent in saying you never wanted him and think it was a terrible hire.

I just don't understand why we're so quick to dismiss someone or something before the papers have even been signed.