What is preventing Syracuse from being invited to the AAU? | Syracusefan.com

What is preventing Syracuse from being invited to the AAU?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
What specific parameters are holding us back? Is it something that we are capable of addressing? Would love insights from anyone familiar with requirements and where we stand.

Obviously this is related to the Big Ten. Curious if AAU is something we can aspire to attain or if it’s just too big a leap.

Yeah I just found this. That sucks. So close yet so far Syracuse University pulls out of research consortium because new criteria doesn't match school's strengths

Another...

AAU's methods of measuring institutions, Cantor said, place comparatively little value on Syracuse's strongest schools (in public affairs and architecture) and on the sorts of research that Syracuse emphasizes in areas such as environmental sustainability, urban education and other work important to its city and region.

Gotcha. Yeah, that feels like a big leap. Sigh. Maybe if a more formal arrangement forms with Upstate I suppose. I mean, a hospital is like RIGHT there.
It used to be SU’s I believe. SU gave it over to the state. Wonder if it could become a joint venture now?
Sorry I didn’t see Noexcuse’s reply above.

Yeah I just found this. That sucks. So close yet so far Syracuse University pulls out of research consortium because new criteria doesn't match school's strengths

Another...
We can blame Chancy Nancy for this, I believe. We’d been an AAU member since 1966 until 2011.

SU was in it and backed out to avoid the embarrassment of being kicked out, like Nebraska.

This happened when I was in grad school. Blame me and my lackluster performance, if you would like.
When I was in SU in late 80's, we were still No. 20 on receiving Fed research fund even we no longer have medical school, most fund on computer/information technology research. But The Fed cut more and more budget on research fund and state sponsored research fund gets more important, which we don't have and B1G schools (except Northwestern) have.

Last edited:
When I was in SU in late 80's, we were still No. 20 on receiving Fed research fund even we no longer have medical school, most fund on computer/information technology research. But The Fed cut more and more budget on research fund and state sponsored research fund gets more important, which we don't have and B1G schools have.

SU has a lot of privately funded research, but the AAU doesn't count it.

Before it was Upstate it was Syracuse University College of Medicine. Maybe the State will give it back.
Have the same relationship as they have with ESF

When I was in SU in late 80's, we were still No. 20 on receiving Fed research fund even we no longer have medical school, most fund on computer/information technology research. But The Fed cut more and more budget on research fund and state sponsored research fund gets more important, which we don't have and B1G schools (except Northwestern) have.
Pitt is getting a lot of research fund from the state of Pennsylvania. In 1966, Pitt established a relationship with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that continues to benefit both partners. Pitt became a hybrid between private institution and state-related university. Maybe Syracuse can reach a similar agreement with state of New York. According to U.S. News&World Report, Pitt is actually ranked higher than Penn State academically. And Pitt can keep AAU membership even the federal government cut research fund to universities.

Last edited:
Inch for diminutive inch she was a huge disaster.
2011-11-12-dn-subasket9cjpg-ba771a3b058281a1.jpg

Pitt is getting a lot of research fund from the state of Pennsylvania. In 1966, Pitt established a relationship with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that continues to benefit both partners. Pitt became a hybrid between private institution and state-related university. Maybe Syracuse can reach a similar agreement with state of New York. According to U.S. News&World Report, Pitt is actually ranked higher than Penn State academically. And Pitt can keep AAU membership even the federal government cut research fund to universities.
I've often thought SU should do something similar. Or maybe merge with NYU.

Pitt has a school of medicine, which is a big part of research money.

I've often thought SU should do something similar. Or maybe merge with NYU.
Merging with NYU will solve Syracuse's major problem- no medical school. Also SU can merge both business school and move it to NYC. Syracuse New York University is a very good name.

Merging with NYU will solve Syracuse's major problem- no medical school. Also SU can merge both business school and move it to NYC. Syracuse New York University is a very good name.
i have complaining for quite sometime that we need to put our resources into upgrading our research capabilities. we need this to enhance our academic standing, get federal funds and become part of the more prestigious academic institutions. the law school ratings are horrible, no med school etc etc etc. we are lucky to be where we are at the present time.
there may be many opportunities for research in enviromental studies, department of defense, pharmaceutical development etc etc etc . i should research this just for my own info!!!!!

Last edited:
We can blame Chancy Nancy for this, I believe. We’d been an AAU member since 1966 until 2011.
she was destructive, shaw and others, were complacent about everything. did very little except fill a suit. coast along with no proactive plan, to enhance the university. syracuse should become a suny school to some degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom