What is preventing Syracuse from being invited to the AAU? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is preventing Syracuse from being invited to the AAU?

What specific parameters are holding us back? Is it something that we are capable of addressing? Would love insights from anyone familiar with requirements and where we stand.

Obviously this is related to the Big Ten. Curious if AAU is something we can aspire to attain or if it’s just too big a leap.
Nancy Cantor's legacy

With SU’s new Veteran’s building/program/effort/emphasis, wouldn’t it make sense to have a medical school again?
PreCovid (Aug 15) they announced starting one with a VA focus...then nothing but obstruction from Upstate Medical

For Franco

Last edited:
I've often thought SU should do something similar. Or maybe merge with NYU.
Do you mean SUNY? NYU is a private school in Greenwich Village in Manhattan?

Do you mean SUNY? NYU is a private school in Greenwich Village in Manhattan?
Either or...Go the Pitt/SUNY route or go all in with NYU

It would be the biggest residential private university in the country, if it merged with NYU (over 60K students). Obviously there would be necessary redundancy but there could be some awesome synergy and cost savings administratively.

Last edited:

It would be the biggest residential private university in the country, if it merged with NYU (over 60K students). Obviously there would be necessary redundancy but there could be some awesome synergy and cost savings administratively.
1- So I was looking some stuff up. I think it is a great idea. But NYU has more students, better rankings. Not sure why they would merge with SU. Anything I’m missing why you think this could be possible? It would be cool to be more of a New York college. Just not sure NYU would go for it.

2- do you know what the difference between a public and private university is? I mean I get public gets state funds and such. Usually larger campus. But what would the benefit be for Syracuse staying as a private institution? Just curious. I could look it up but if anyone knows that would be great insight.

- I am a diehard fan that grew up in Syracuse but did not go there (they did not have my major). So obviously I’m more interested in things benefiting sports rather than the university having a high academic standing. I get that many people on here have graduated from SU and academic standing means a lot for them. Just trying to get all the info.

Both SU and NYU are private schools. It is much easier than making Syracuse part of SUNY system. The merged Syracuse New York University just has two campus. NYC has business school, medical school and Computer Science School. Syracuse campus can still have Engineer School including Computer Engineering Department.
This way SNYU will be closer to New York City than Rutgers because we have a campus inside NYC.

NYU: $5.8 billion endowment, 52,000 students, acceptance rate 21%, top 30 US news, owns most of lower Manhattan.
Syracuse: $1.8 billion endowment, 22,000 students, acceptance rate 68%, top 60 US News, owns part of Syracuse.

Why exactly, would NYU ever consider this? To get their hands on that Onondaga County real estate? The culture of the schools could hardly be more different too. NYU is actually a really interesting story though. Back in the 60s and 70s it had fallen on hard times and was basically open admissions. They decided to double down on academics and worked their way into becoming a top 25-ish university, full of Nobel Prize winners. It's basically unprecedented in higher education. So they're not about to merge with SU.

NYU: $5.8 billion endowment, 52,000 students, acceptance rate 21%, top 30 US news, owns most of lower Manhattan.
Syracuse: $1.8 billion endowment, 22,000 students, acceptance rate 68%, top 60 US News, owns part of Syracuse.

Why exactly, would NYU ever consider this? To get their hands on that Onondaga County real estate? The culture of the schools could hardly be more different too. NYU is actually a really interesting story though. Back in the 60s and 70s it had fallen on hard times and was basically open admissions. They decided to double down on academics and worked their way into becoming a top 25-ish university, full of Nobel Prize winners. It's basically unprecedented in higher education. So they're not about to merge with SU.
68% of the people who apply get in? That's embarrassing.

Syracuse doesn't need to and won't become part of SUNY. NYU isn't going to merge with Syracuse. For one, their academic reputation is far superior- sorry, not sorry, it's just a fact. They have plenty of money too.

The answer here is incredibly simple and could probably result in major tax savings for the taxpayers of New York.

Politicians and SU officials need to lobby to make both Upstate and ESF statutory colleges within Syracuse University. In effect, Syracuse is the administrative entity, so synergies can be realized in terms of top administration (Pres/Chancellor, Provosts, VP and AVP level deans or VPs of student affairs, etc can be merged/eliminated) admissions, financial aid, housing, dining, etc.

The precedent exists- SUNY has 3 statutory colleges at Cornell (Ag/Life Sciences, Industrial and Labor Relations, and College of Human Ecology) and there is a SUNY statutory college of Ceramics or Material Sciences/Engineering at Alfred University (separate from SUNY Alfred State). Those colleges provide space, administration, housing, bookstores, etc but the students have Alfred or Cornell ID cards, are students of the University etc. Their diploma reads either "Alfred University" or "Cornell University" but the SUNY system subsidizes those colleges.

Any consultant could have given Kent or CTO or whomever this advice, but your pal JoeCollege gave it for free. Kent, or John Wildhack can DM me. Making SUNY Upstate no longer independent but under the auspices of SU would give SU the funing and status it needs while giving taxpayers some relief through reduced costs.

Syracuse doesn't need to and won't become part of SUNY. NYU isn't going to merge with Syracuse. For one, their academic reputation is far superior- sorry, not sorry, it's just a fact. They have plenty of money too.

The answer here is incredibly simple and could probably result in major tax savings for the taxpayers of New York.

Politicians and SU officials need to lobby to make both Upstate and ESF statutory colleges within Syracuse University. In effect, Syracuse is the administrative entity, so synergies can be realized in terms of top administration (Pres/Chancellor, Provosts, VP and AVP level deans or VPs of student affairs, etc can be merged/eliminated) admissions, financial aid, housing, dining, etc.

The precedent exists- SUNY has 3 statutory colleges at Cornell (Ag/Life Sciences, Industrial and Labor Relations, and College of Human Ecology) and there is a SUNY statutory college of Ceramics or Material Sciences/Engineering at Alfred University (separate from SUNY Alfred State). Those colleges provide space, administration, housing, bookstores, etc but the students have Alfred or Cornell ID cards, are students of the University etc. Their diploma reads either "Alfred University" or "Cornell University" but the SUNY system subsidizes those colleges.

Any consultant could have given Kent or CTO or whomever this advice, but your pal JoeCollege gave it for free. Kent, or John Wildhack can DM me. Making SUNY Upstate no longer independent but under the auspices of SU would give SU the funing and status it needs while giving taxpayers some relief through reduced costs.
I agree completely. I have always thought that SU should do with ESF and Upstate what Cornell did with the Ag School. I think it helps SU (for reasons you state, plus ESF is a great school) and makes the “SU SUNY“ degrees more nationally relevant than they are currently. Unite the hill.

- I am a diehard fan that grew up in Syracuse but did not go there (they did not have my major). So obviously I’m more interested in things benefiting sports rather than the university having a high academic standing. I get that many people on here have graduated from SU and academic standing means a lot for them. Just trying to get all the info.

I was in Iraq many moons ago and I was bopping around the desert and I had an SU shirt on. I ran into an another American and he says that he went to SU and did I go there also. I said no I’m just a townie. He asked what the F is a townie. I had to break it down for him. Just one of many strange encounters I’ve had with fans of SU all over the world.

And that folks, is why he is JoeCollege.

I was in Iraq many moons ago and I was bopping around the desert and I had an SU shirt on. I ran into an another American and he says that he went to SU and did I go there also. I said no I’m just a townie. He asked what the F is a townie. I had to break it down for him. Just one of many strange encounters I’ve had with fans of SU all over the world.
I’m not sure I would trust anyone who didn’t know what a “Townie” was. You should have asked him who won the World Series in 1963.

This is definitely the way to go, if feasible. Starting your own med school from scratch, with a super-narrow focus, next door to an existing med school, is one of the worst ideas I've heard. Kent should thank SUNY for putting the kibosh on it.

Really interesting. The benefit for the state is that is saves a lot on costs, by SU taking over a lot of admin functions? Anything else? Is there a loss of "prestige" for NYS that may not make it worthwhile (i.e. NYS no longer has a flagship medical school)? Does SU have any leverage over the state to make this happen?

Syracuse floated (within the past 5 years) the prospect of opening a medical school in conjunction with the Feds to provide physicians to underserved areas nationwide. I guess that float sank.

Syracuse floated (within the past 5 years) the prospect of opening a medical school in conjunction with the Feds to provide physicians to underserved areas nationwide. I guess that float sank.
Close. It was in 2015 and to provide physicians for the VA system.

Really interesting. The benefit for the state is that is saves a lot on costs, by SU taking over a lot of admin functions? Anything else? Is there a loss of "prestige" for NYS that may not make it worthwhile (i.e. NYS no longer has a flagship medical school)? Does SU have any leverage over the state to make this happen?
upstate has been mired in mismanagement and scandal for many years and does not have the better reputation based on med school rankings. i feel that perhaps management changes to be back under su maybe helpful. there are MANY fine medical schools in nys but most are private. suny buffalo has better rankings in research and primary care.
unfortunately, we have never grown the hard sciences and research. having sold the med school we apparently readjusted the mission and scope of syracuse university. we appear to be minor players in the realm of academic/scientific diversity as defined by programs, research, medicine or even a well respected law school.
many smaller schools have accomplished what we are talking about. someone mentioned the pittsburg model ---that was a excellent suggestion to pursue with the state of ny .

2011-11-12-dn-subasket9cjpg-ba771a3b058281a1.jpg
Why is she wearing a life jacket?

SUNY already has a Med School at Buffalo and Downstate Medical Center, which I THINK is affiliated with Stony Brook. Both Buffalo and Stony Brook are AAU members

SUNY already has a Med School at Buffalo and Downstate Medical Center, which I THINK is affiliated with Stony Brook. Both Buffalo and Stony Brook are AAU members
and both have less than stellar med schools. the privates corner the market in the northeast for premier med schools. if you look closely, many of the named brand med schools score high in research, but take somewhat of steep drop when primary care is ranked, both upstate and stoney brook (downstate) are in the also ran. university of rochester scores high for both. great example of small school excellence and management.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom