What is this fascination with Clemson as a national power? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What is this fascination with Clemson as a national power?

I like to rationalize our superiority using this logic from last year's match-ups: Syracuse>Louisville>Florida>USC (S. Carolina)>Clemson = We win!
And the year before: Syracuse > WfVU > Clemson

I prefer this from last year:
Syracuse > Louisville > Florida > Texas A&M > Alabama

I need some Cuse fans over at Tigernet (dropdown box for link). Once u register u can see the whole threads. Cool indy board like ours.

The Dome is small and tight with a roof (bubble) on top. Fans are on top of the game with no bad sight lines. Seats are close (stadium bench seating). Basically, everything works to make the Dome acoustically very loud. Gets the same way for hoops, especially when 30,000 hoops fan are into the game. Takes about 40,000-42,000 fans to do the same for football.

I am looking forward to seeing and hearing for myself in a few weeks.

I am looking forward to seeing and hearing for myself in a few weeks.

I wish I was, too. I hope to be in Death valley next year. Keep us posted on what you think, overall you should have a good experience. Lost to do around Central New York, too.

I need some Cuse fans over at Tigernet (dropdown box for link). Once u register u can see the whole threads. Cool indy board like ours.
I've found them very active as a board and pretty welcoming...except to a Notre Dame fan named GoldenDomer.

Orange bragging rights is very important. The Dome should have a ton of orange for the Cuse Clemson game that's for sure.

I wonder if Clemson will show up in the dome dressed like this:

clemson-purple_medium.jpg

They've been to one of the four major bowls only once in the last 30 years (which they lost 70-33). In that time SU has gone to four.
Its the age old cliche "Perception is reality"Why they are perceived like that remains a mystery Perhaps its there record within the conference which I have no intention of researching.:noidea:

Any idea what the DB level gets to in your place? I find it interesting how stadium design plays a large part in how loud the DB level gets in a place. Clemson held the record for DB level at 126 Db until 2007 when Oregon(yea that's wild)broke it with 127.2. Clemson then turned around and broke it again in 2007 playing a M Ryan led BC team for the chance to play in the ACCCG. It was a reported 133 Db. Crazy loud.

Here's a clip from the four down in OT including the sack that broke the record the first time(warning: its loud)

Wow gotta admit that is crazy loud. It reminds me of the Dome up here back in the day, which we're hoping and dreaming come back to the fore on Oct. 5th and stays going forward...back to the future once again!

Wow gotta admit that is crazy loud. It reminds me of the Dome up here back in the day, which we're hoping and dreaming come back to the fore on Oct. 5th and stays going forward...back to the future once again!
Yeah, it's called Death Valley for a reason. Their fans love their Tigers.

Well then I'll be settling for second this year. I'm looking forward it, and I'm hoping you guys are on the losing end :p.

Gameday at Doak Campbell is a great experience. Should be a raucous crowd, and a good time, for the 1st Cuse - FSU conference/division game. A few may also show up for homecoming; Bobby Bowden's return to the University; celebration of the '93 NC team (suck it ND whiners) and Charlie Ward, FSU's 1st Heisman Trophy winner.

May the best team win!

Kind of an odd new dynamic in joining the ACC in that there appears to be a mutual respect between teams. Suppose that comes from true hatred being directed at SEC foes but it's kind of cool compared to all the whiny little brother teams we used to be associated with.

Well, there are ALWAYS exceptions. Fortunately, the most-disliked fanbase in the Conference will only be around one more year. The CoCaines could win this honor easily if they had more than six fans ;)

You have met Carolina fans, right?

Well, there are ALWAYS exceptions. Fortunately, the most-disliked fanbase in the Conference will only be around one more year. The CoCaines could win this honor easily if they had more than six fans ;)

You have met Carolina fans, right?

Yeah but this is a football board and to my knowledge Carolina teams aren't that interested in competing in said sport.

My boss is an NC State alumni BUT cheers for FSU and Clemson due his father going to both and knowledge that NC State will never have a program on thier level. He wishes State well but when he and I are discussing games we're attending they rarely get consideration.

The Dome is small and tight with a roof (bubble) on top. Fans are on top of the game with no bad sight lines. Seats are close (stadium bench seating). Basically, everything works to make the Dome acoustically very loud. Gets the same way for hoops, especially when 30,000 hoops fan are into the game. Takes about 40,000-42,000 fans to do the same for football.

This is loudest I can recall the Dome being. I don't know the decibel level:

This is loudest I can recall the Dome being. I don't know the decibel level:

Then there's this one:
[/quote]

I think the difference might be sustained noise. That Clemson clip had the fans cheering loudly before the play- and it wasn't as dramatic a situation as the Syracuse plays.

The Big East was a nice conference once. Rutgers and Temple were bad but the other rivalries: Boston College, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Miami were great. Too bad we didn't keep them and add in Cincinnati and Louisville. Drop Temple so you could have 9 teams, the perfect size. Sigh...

Then there's this one:

I think the difference might be sustained noise. That Clemson clip had the fans cheering loudly before the play- and it wasn't as dramatic a situation as the Syracuse plays.[/quote]

The loudest game I attended was VATech in 2002. Triple OT and we won. The place was roaring from beginning to the end. My ears were ringing for days.

I think the difference might be sustained noise. That Clemson clip had the fans cheering loudly before the play- and it wasn't as dramatic a situation as the Syracuse plays.

The loudest game I attended was VATech in 2002. Triple OT and we won. The place was roaring from beginning to the end. My ears were ringing for days.[/quote]

I looked for the final play of that one and also Walter Reyes' 80 yard run vs. Notre Dame but they aren't on U-Tube. The Dome was very loud on those occasions as well.

Well to me a coot is an obnoxious South Carolina fan. They think their football history started 4 years ago and that they have always been good. They constant stick out their chest about how great the SEC is while contributing nothing to the conference.

However outside of sports, most are great people and the term mainly has to do with the many, many troll fans that frequent the internet.

Sounds a lot like Rutgers. Except remove the comment about the outside world part lol.

The loudest game I attended was VATech in 2002. Triple OT and we won. The place was roaring from beginning to the end. My ears were ringing for days.

I looked for the final play of that one and also Walter Reyes' 80 yard run vs. Notre Dame but they aren't on U-Tube. The Dome was very loud on those occasions as well.[/quote]

Earlier in 1987 - 1st play of game vs. PSU. Rob Moore TD.
I was at both games (PSU and WVU) and I think some % of the crowd was hyperventilating at the end of WVU (I know I was). For PSU, though it was an out an out explosion of shock and joy.

You've got to add to that the Tennessee game. I recall that being 60 minutes of deafening noise.

Surprised there's not more of the Penn State game on the net. We really found out how good we were that day.

Honorable mention to Kirby Dar Dar and the Orange who dismantled Florida. The old ball coach hasn't come north since.

Wasn't at many of the mid 90s great games. Too soon after graduation. But those Miami and Virginia Tech tilts had the Dome rocking on TV.

If we're 3-1 or dare I dream 4-0, then October 5 will likely be on par with those games. First things first, however. Beat Penn State! (Man, it feels good to say that.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom