What is this fascination with Clemson as a national power? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is this fascination with Clemson as a national power?

Clemson is a national power but an overrated one, just like any team coached by Lane Kiffen.
I like to rationalize our superiority using this logic from last year's match-ups: Syracuse>Louisville>Florida>USC (S. Carolina)>Clemson = We win!

???????????????????????? Hey--if you say so...:oops:

Orange bragging rights is very important. The Dome should have a ton of orange for the Cuse Clemson game that's for sure.

It will be Orange. It will also be loud. The Dome has been called the LOUD HOUSE for a reason. When the house is a rockin' don't bother knockin', seriously, your ears will ring, sometimes for days.

It will be Orange. It will also be loud. The Dome has been called the LOUD HOUSE for a reason. When the house is a rockin' don't bother knockin', seriously, your ears will ring, sometimes for days.

And if done properly, your voice is shot for the rest of the day.

I gotta laugh...just on a yelp site about the dome and saw this comment:

Either this guy has never been to the dome or he's been pissing in the sink.

Wonder where he washed his hands. Oh no.

What's worse? Being the guy that pissed in the community sink while everyone watched? Or being the guy that accidentally washed his hands with the pisser's piss?

What's worse? Being the guy that pissed in the community sink while everyone watched? Or being the guy that accidentally washed his hands with the pisser's piss?
Another casualty of the dome foams. You can thank him for them stopping beer sales after halftime.

I naturally gravitate towards cheering for teams that wear orange. I hope they're top 15 every year... I just hope we're ranked higher every year.

OT - Does Clemson still rock the helmet stickers? I friggin love helmet stickers.

Basically, Clemson feels they are at the point of a break-out year that will put them on that level. They may be right. They ahve not been a top power since the 80's, (they were also very good in the late 40's and 50's). They have been a few notches down from that for a generation. But they may be a national power for the next few years and will be a most formidable opponent.

If we get the butts in the seats. With our first year in the ACC, hopefully we have good showings, both on the scoreboard and in the seats.

I naturally gravitate towards cheering for teams that wear orange. I hope they're top 15 every year... I just hope were ranked higher every year.

OT - Does Clemson still rock the helmet stickers? I friggin love helmet stickers.

OH yea they do. I am with you on the helmet stickers and I hope they never go away.

KR2_0419_t607.jpg

I'm starting to like Clemson a lot...I hope we finish above them every year but they have great fans excepting the usual few knuckleheads.

F the Coots.

They've been to one of the four major bowls only once in the last 30 years (which they lost 70-33). In that time SU has gone to four.

How old are you?? You do realize it was only after the invention of the BCS were those considered the only "major bowls". Peach had a shot at being a "major BCS bowl" but opted out because they liked their SEC/ACC matchup at the time and didn't want someone else dictating who they had to take. The Cotton was considered a major bowl until the demise of the SWC and has since returned somewhat to that status. The Gator was considered a major bowl and is one of the oldest in the nation even though it has fallen on hard times lately. The Peach was also considered major during the years. For most of college football history there were only a handful of bowl games so to make a bowl you were considered among the best.

Back in the 70s and 80s...if you were playing on January 1st it was the big time. The Gator Bowl back then was a small step below the Rose/Cotton/Orange. I always thought of the Peach Bowl as about on par with the Gator Bowl.

The CU fans are great to visitors and it is (easily) the best choice for an ACC roadtrip. Tallahassee has to accept 2nd in this category.
Well then I'll be settling for second this year. I'm looking forward it, and I'm hoping you guys are on the losing end :p.

The CU fans are great to visitors and it is (easily) the best choice for an ACC roadtrip. Tallahassee has to accept 2nd in this category.
Thanks for the compliment Nole.

Can you inform our fan base what a coot is and why it is to be hated? I know but I bet you can tell it better. Part of our ACC education.
Well to me a coot is an obnoxious South Carolina fan. They think their football history started 4 years ago and that they have always been good. They constant stick out their chest about how great the SEC is while contributing nothing to the conference.

However outside of sports, most are great people and the term mainly has to do with the many, many troll fans that frequent the internet.

Kind of an odd new dynamic in joining the ACC in that there appears to be a mutual respect between teams. Suppose that comes from true hatred being directed at SEC foes but it's kind of cool compared to all the whiny little brother teams we used to be associated with.

Kind of an odd new dynamic in joining the ACC in that there appears to be a mutual respect between teams. Suppose that comes from true hatred being directed at SEC foes but it's kind of cool compared to all the whiny little brother teams we used to be associated with.
It is true that the ACC teams absolutely hate the SEC for obvious reasons. I for one am just glad the ACC added a team that cares about football.

Basically, Clemson feels they are at the point of a break-out year that will put them on that level. They may be right. They ahve not been a top power since the 80's, (they were also very good in the late 40's and 50's). They have been a few notches down from that for a generation. But they may be a national power for the next few years and will be a most formidable opponent.

Dabo Swinney has done a great job recruiting and has a nice stable to draw replacements from. His defense was weak for a championship caliber team last year but we all know that the defense can turn things around much quicker than the offense. I agree that the Tigers will be a formidable opponent for years.

Any idea what the DB level gets to in your place? I find it interesting how stadium design plays a large part in how loud the DB level gets in a place. Clemson held the record for DB level at 126 Db until 2007 when Oregon(yea that's wild)broke it with 127.2. Clemson then turned around and broke it again in 2007 playing a M Ryan led BC team for the chance to play in the ACCCG. It was a reported 133 Db. Crazy loud.

Here's a clip from the four down in OT including the sack that broke the record the first time(warning: its loud)

Any idea what the DB level gets to in your place? I find it interesting how stadium design plays a large part in how loud the DB level gets in a place. Clemson held the record for DB level at 126 Db until 2007 when Oregon(yea that's wild)broke it with 127.2. Clemson then turned around and broke it again in 2007 playing a M Ryan led BC team for the chance to play in the ACCCG. It was a reported 133 Db. Crazy loud.

Here's a clip from the four down in OT including the sack that broke the record the first time(warning: its loud)

The Dome is small and tight with a roof (bubble) on top. Fans are on top of the game with no bad sight lines. Seats are close (stadium bench seating). Basically, everything works to make the Dome acoustically very loud. Gets the same way for hoops, especially when 30,000 hoops fan are into the game. Takes about 40,000-42,000 fans to do the same for football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom