What is this fascination with Clemson as a national power? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What is this fascination with Clemson as a national power?

The loudest game I attended was VATech in 2002. Triple OT and we won. The place was roaring from beginning to the end. My ears were ringing for days.

I looked for the final play of that one and also Walter Reyes' 80 yard run vs. Notre Dame but they aren't on U-Tube. The Dome was very loud on those occasions as well.[/quote]

Thanks for looking. If it's out there, you would have found, you've proved that over and over.

I looked for the final play of that one and also Walter Reyes' 80 yard run vs. Notre Dame but they aren't on U-Tube. The Dome was very loud on those occasions as well.

Earlier in 1987 - 1st play of game vs. PSU. Rob Moore TD.
I was at both games (PSU and WVU) and I think some % of the crowd was hyperventilating at the end of WVU (I know I was). For PSU, though it was an out an out explosion of shock and joy.[/quote]

This had the Moore play and also the Tommy Kane catch, with some music behind it but you can hear the crowd.

The best line: "Syracuse is undressing Penn State".

You've got to add to that the Tennessee game. I recall that being 60 minutes of deafening noise.

Surprised there's not more of the Penn State game on the net. We really found out how good we were that day.

Honorable mention to Kirby Dar Dar and the Orange who dismantled Florida. The old ball coach hasn't come north since.

Wasn't at many of the mid 90s great games. Too soon after graduation. But those Miami and Virginia Tech tilts had the Dome rocking on TV.

If we're 3-1 or dare I dream 4-0, then October 5 will likely be on par with those games. First things first, however. Beat Penn State! (Man, it feels good to say that.)

The entire Tennessee game:

The commentators, (Bill Curry on color), comment on the crowd noise at the end, saying that only thing that could compare to it is LSU. I'd have to say the interference call was a good one and the problem is our defense fell apart after that, as Curry says. We weren't cheated that night. We just lost a terrific game.

That might have been our best team of the Carrier Dome Era but they were just two erratic. They almost beat that year's national champion, (Tennessee), blew the previous year's champ, (Michigan) out of their own place and buried Miami 66-13. But they also lost by 3 TDs at NC State, lost to West Virginia and didn't show for the Orange Bowl vs. Florida. Too bad.

They have talent but haven't put it all together yet. They have a habit of choking in the biggest games. They remind me of Mack Brown's early 2000's Texas teams before Vince Young's final season.

They have talent but haven't put it all together yet. They have a habit of choking in the biggest games. They remind me of Mack Brown's early 2000's Texas teams before Vince Young's final season.

I agree for the most part. I think Dabo Swinney has a little more to learn as a head coach chasing a national championship. His game day coaching needs work, but he has the tools to work with. Compare with Jimbo Fisher at FSU, he has talent and has been loaded for a few years but his game day skills are not where they need to be to win it all.

I honestly think the ACC has some great coaches and will win a few championships but most teams are not used to being in the limelight and the game day coaching experience is important.

I agree for the most part. I think Dabo Swinney has a little more to learn as a head coach chasing a national championship. His game day coaching needs work, but he has the tools to work with. Compare with Jimbo Fisher at FSU, he has talent and has been loaded for a few years but his game day skills are not where they need to be to win it all.

I honestly think the ACC has some great coaches and will win a few championships but most teams are not used to being in the limelight and the game day coaching experience is important.

It will be interesting to see what our coach's "game day skills" are.

Well, there are ALWAYS exceptions. Fortunately, the most-disliked fanbase in the Conference will only be around one more year. The CoCaines could win this honor easily if they had more than six fans ;)

You have met Carolina fans, right?

Not all of us Carolina fans are obnoxious, obsessed-with-Duke, basketball-first, wine-and-cheesers.

Some of us actually care more about football. But, we are for sure in the minority. :)

It will be interesting to see what our coach's "game day skills" are.

Agreed. However, we do know our OC is competent on offense and HCSS is competent on defense, so I have good reason to believe he will be decent.

The commentators, (Bill Curry on color), comment on the crowd noise at the end, saying that only thing that could compare to it is LSU. I'd have to say the interference call was a good one and the problem is our defense fell apart after that, as Curry says. We weren't cheated that night. We just lost a terrific game.

That might have been our best team of the Carrier Dome Era but they were just two erratic. They almost beat that year's national champion, (Tennessee), blew the previous year's champ, (Michigan) out of their own place and buried Miami 66-13. But they also lost by 3 TDs at NC State, lost to West Virginia and didn't show for the Orange Bowl vs. Florida. Too bad.
Yeah, I've watched the replay and it was a good call. Where we were cheated were on the horrible equipment violation calls (two of them) because someone's knee pad was showing. I think one of them was when we were inside the 20 about to score, it may have even been on a td play, and we ended up missing a fg. Even if either one of them were the correct call, they are calls that are never made, and I can't recall ever seeing another one before or since, much less 2 in one game.

You've got to add to that the Tennessee game. I recall that being 60 minutes of deafening noise.

Surprised there's not more of the Penn State game on the net. We really found out how good we were that day.

Honorable mention to Kirby Dar Dar and the Orange who dismantled Florida. The old ball coach hasn't come north since.

Wasn't at many of the mid 90s great games. Too soon after graduation. But those Miami and Virginia Tech tilts had the Dome rocking on TV.

If we're 3-1 or dare I dream 4-0, then October 5 will likely be on par with those games. First things first, however. Beat Penn State! (Man, it feels good to say that.)
that Oct. 5th Clemson game truly has the potential for that type of feel and atmospherics re the PSU game in '87 or '91 Florida game. The program has it's legs back underneath it, enough talent at all position, people will and already are taking them lightly and if we're as you mentioned going in 3-1 or 4-0 then the place will be nuts all over again back to the future style. Like those games we'd need to hit them early with a big play or two.

Here's hoping it all pans out that way!

they do make mention about it being a 155-160 decibels, based on reality or what I don't know. Also of note is the two equipment violation penalties, having seen it before or since. Things that make you go hmmm...

they do make mention about it being a 155-160 decibels, based on reality or what I don't know. Also of note is the two equipment violation penalties, having seen it before or since. Things that make you go hmmm...

I remember Steve Hyder in the post game show seriously suggesting that Phil Fullmer had bribed the refs. I thought he might get sued for liable but he didn't.

I remember Steve Hyder in the post game show seriously suggesting that Phil Fullmer had bribed the refs. I thought he might get sued for liable but he didn't.

I also remembering sweating out about 10 lbs in water weight. Possibly the hottest I've ever experienced in the dome.

I also remembering sweating out about 10 lbs in water weight. Possibly the hottest I've ever experienced in the dome.
You are so right about the heat. If I recall, the devastating storms with the cold front rolled through the next day.

That said, much smaller crowd, but honorable mention on the heat goes to last year's home opener vs. Northwestern. Here's a pic from the third quarter:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373920197.589705.jpg

That's 95F outside. Truly an oven on both days.

Well, there are ALWAYS exceptions. Fortunately, the most-disliked fanbase in the Conference will only be around one more year. The CoCaines could win this honor easily if they had more than six fans ;)

You have met Carolina fans, right?

I've been to Chapel Hill a number of times and my fiance is a UNC fan. They're a docile bunch. I couldn't get over how much the Dean Dome is a morgue.

I've been to Chapel Hill a number of times and my fiance is a UNC fan. They're a docile bunch. I couldn't get over how much the Dean Dome is a morgue.

Who were they playing when you went to the Dome? Outside of ACC foes, and, a select few OOC opponents, the Dome crowd is not really an overly vocal crowd. Theres way too many blue hairs in the crowd.

Who were they playing when you went to the Dome? Outside of ACC foes, and, a select few OOC opponents, the Dome crowd is not really an overly vocal crowd. Theres way too many blue hairs in the crowd.
This sounds eerily familiar...

Any idea what the DB level gets to in your place? I find it interesting how stadium design plays a large part in how loud the DB level gets in a place. Clemson held the record for DB level at 126 Db until 2007 when Oregon(yea that's wild)broke it with 127.2. Clemson then turned around and broke it again in 2007 playing a M Ryan led BC team for the chance to play in the ACCCG. It was a reported 133 Db. Crazy loud.

Here's a clip from the four down in OT including the sack that broke the record the first time(warning: its loud)

I always like referencing this quote from Dirk Koetter

• "I can assure you that the stories are not overblown. In my travels, I've been to at least 90 different stadiums for college football games, the two loudest places I've ever been to are Autzen Stadium and at Syracuse in the (Carrier) Dome. It is extremely loud."- Dirk Koetter, Former ASU Head Coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom