What is your Mount Rushmore for Syracuse sports moments you've experienced? | Syracusefan.com

What is your Mount Rushmore for Syracuse sports moments you've experienced?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I tweeted this but thought it may make for good discussion here. I know we asked in the past about individual people in regards to your own Syracuse Mt. Rushmore...but what about moments? If you had to isolate 4 Syracuse sports moments that you experienced in one fashion or another...ie, since you began following the team in some fashion.

What is your Mt. Rushmore for Syracuse moments you personally experienced? It could have been on TV, in person, whatever, just during your random (as opposed to years or decades prior).

For me, the top 3 are slam dunks. In no particular order they are

- The 1996 Win over Georgia in the NCAA Tourney
- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

The 4th was trickier. 6 OTs is absolutely worth consideration. As was Gillon. The Allen Griffin game (St. John's, MSG) was a sneaky contender for me on a personal level, but i think it's too personal and relatively insignificant a memory to belong on here for me. The 2022 Soccer title SHOULD be on here but I am just not a big enough soccer fan. If I didn't watch the majority of the game live it really can't count for me personally.

Ultimately, the Final 4 that I landed on, and in large part to add a contemporary event that happened to be huge...

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

- Cuse over Clemson football 2017

Curious to see how the Mt Rushmores may change based on era people began following the team.

Last edited:
- Football over Clemson in the Dome
- Virginia comeback in the Elite 8
- GMac BET game winner against Cincy
- Sitting behind our bench in Death Valley this fall when Jahad Carter returned the fumble for a tudder. Everything about that was just so cool.

- The buzzer going off for the 2003 championship.

- Wallace’s game winner against Georgia in the ‘96 tournament.

- McNabb to Brominski to beat VT in ‘98.

- Sherman Douglas breakaway reverse dunk in OT to put the finishing touches on Georgetown in his last home game. And because this game rarely stays on YouTube for long, here’s that play…

Last edited:
2009 Lax Championship comeback vs Cornell( in person)
2003 bball Natty (went to 4 of 6 games)
1985 SU 65 Georgetown 63 ( my first game of the rivalry)
1987 vs WVU (senior year)

Last edited:
I tweeted this but thought it may make for good discussion here. I know we asked in the past about individual people in regards to your own Syracuse Mt. Rushmore...but what about moments? If you had to isolate 4 Syracuse sports moments that you experienced in one fashion or another...ie, since you began following the team in some fashion.

What is your Mt. Rushmore for Syracuse moments you personally experienced? It could have been on TV, in person, whatever, just during your random (as opposed to years or decades prior).

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

The 4th was trickier. 6 OTs is absolutely worth consideration. As was Gillon. The Allen Griffin game (St. John's, MSG) was a sneaky contender for me on a personal level, but i think it's too personal and relatively insignificant a memory to belong on here for me. The 2022 Soccer title SHOULD be on here but I am just not a big enough soccer fan. If I didn't watch the majority of the game live it really can't count for me personally.

Ultimately, the Final 4 that I landed on, and in large part to add a contemporary event that happened to be huge...

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

Curious to see how the Mt Rushmores may change based on era people began following the team.
Hoops winning it all.
6 OT game.
Beating Carolina in Elite 8
Three OT game v. Nova in Big East final at the Dome.
Adding a personal favorites that were not "big" games,
Last game at Archbold
First football game in the Dome
Trying out for a walk on position in hoops. I guess I was not tall enough.

Following FB since 1961, Basketball since 1966 and anything there is bigger than SU lacrosse, the Crunch or the Chiefs/Mets.

1) NCAA basketball title (Hak's block)
2) 1987 West Virginia (11-0)
3) 1987 Penn State (blew out hated rival and defending national champs who had beaten us 16 times in a row)
4) 6 OT game

Last edited:
BB title
Lax title against Cornell
6 ot
pick any Dungey highlights

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

The Block
Don to Rob Moore vs Penn St
Tying Cornell in Lax with :03 in the NC
Pearl half courter vs BC

2003 National Championship
2003 vs Pitt at home
McNabb to Brominski
Random personal one: Bahamas in 15-16, Without a doubt the one of the best weeks in my life.

- The buzzer going off for the 2003 championship.

- Wallace’s game winner against Georgia in the ‘96 tournament.

- McNabb to Brominski to beat VT in ‘98.

- Sherman Douglas breakaway reverse dunk in OT to put the finishing touches on Georgetown in his last home game. And because this game rarely stays on YouTube for long, here’s that play…
In my vast experience, the dome has never been louder or happier.

Born in 1990.

Syracuse over Kansas for the title
Syracuse over Clemson in 2017 (football)
Syracuse over Virginia in 2016
Syracuse over UConn 6OT

Honorary mention to Syracuse beating Cornell in 2009, listening on a radio at the beach.

I listed these before reading any other replies. Unsurprisingly I see a lot of overlap.

Student from 2012 - 16, will keep it limited to that:
- Malachi 3 over Brogdon
- CJ dunk on Otto Porter in OT of BET semis
- Buzzer going off for 1st home Duke ACC game & becoming #1
- Ennis buzzer beater at Pitt

Great question
-Sherman reverse jam to clinch Georgetown win
-national championship
-comeback versus Oklahoma state
-Virginia elite 8

Too many to list but here a few.
75 elite 8 kstate win to make final 4