What is your Mount Rushmore for Syracuse sports moments you've experienced? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What is your Mount Rushmore for Syracuse sports moments you've experienced?

2003. Once in my life. It happened.
Was at 84 #1 Nebraska win
75 upset of NC in Sweet16 Jimmy Lee buries it went to airport after KState victory to go to the FF
2017 Clemson Dungey/Ishmael..Phillips left open

2023 Bowl Game victory against ____________ !

Going by ones I saw live- 2012 Grad
2010 Nova with gameday. Became #1 in nation
2011 Chandler Jones dominates WVU
2012 Kris Joseph balls out in OT win vs Gtown
2011 Norte Dame vs Cuse Lax in Dome. John Lade was a beast

The Nattie
Klckoff returns on reverses against Florida in the Dome and Colorado in Tempe
Michael Owens WVa
Sudden death lax win v UNC in Maryland

Someone beat me to Kirby Dar Dar vs Florida in 1991. Forgot about the same play working against Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl.

Honorable mention- I know this doesnt necessarily fit the theme, but the game against No. 1 Miami in 1992 where Gedney is tackled just short of the goal line on the last play of the game was, to this day, the most intense sporting event I have ever been to, including 2003 FF, the World Series, NBA/ NHL/NFL playoff games.

Moments and personal experiences...

- 2003 hoops national title: My daughter was 3 weeks old (born on Selection Sunday that year) and I had to hold her and pace around my living room for the entire second half so she would sleep. When Hak made The Block I had to jump up and down verrrrrry gently and scream silently in joy.

- 2009 6OT win vs. UConn: Was at MSG that night. Had to leave after the 5th OT and race (and I mean RACE) to Grand Central to catch the last train of the night back home. Followed the 6th OT on my phone and got to celebrate the win on a train full (and I mean FULL) of UConn fans.

- 1998 football win vs. VT: Rushed the field after the Brominski catch and was tackled by a Dome security guard. Why he singled out me and not any of the other several hundred people doing the same is a mystery. My knee hurt for a week from the force of that jagoffs tackle, but it was totally worth it.

- 1994 hoops win vs. Kentucky: This is a personal one. I was the conductor of the Sour Sitrus Society pep band that season. The pinnacle of that experiences was having the band play "Hey" over and over while the students stormed the court after we knocked off #4 Kentucky.

Honorable mention
- 2018 Camping World bowl win: Made a last minute decision to bring my family down to Orlando and attend the bowl. I've brainwashed my kids into being Orange fans (which is an accomplishment living here in CT) and we've been to a lot of 'Cuse games. I was at the '91 Hall of Fame Bowl and '92 Fiesta Bowl as a student, and I was at the '10 Pinstripe Bowl, but being able to celebrate that win with them was really special.

Great question
-Sherman reverse jam to clinch Georgetown win
-national championship
-comeback versus Oklahoma state
-Virginia elite 8

Thx for the reminder about Sherm’s jam in OT vs GTown!!
I was there!

Since it has to be games I was at:

Beating #1 Nebraska.
6OT’s
Sherm reverse slam v GTown
Sherm 22 assists v Providence 100-96 - FRIES!!!

More deets:

Nebraska - was a Frosh in SUMB, and we had looked inept losing a stinker vs SUNJ the week before, so expectations were less than zero for the Husker game.

6OT’s - total fluke I was there:
got tix thru work; Oppenheimer Funds was a BET sponsor, and we got invited to a quarterfinals doubleheader:
WVU vs Pitt, then Cuse vs UConn.
Had a bunch of eers fans behind us, first-ever game in MSG for them.
We made them a deal - we’ll root for them vs Pitt, if they root for us vs Huskies.
Much fun was had by all!
My hand and arm were sore from all the high-fiving during and after both games.

Was working in Cuse in ‘89, which is why I happened to be at those 2 hoops games.

The comeback OT win vs GTown was epic, and then capped with Sherm’s breakaway reverse slam to close out his Dome career was < chef’s kiss >

Providence (ranked #20) game was the “Showtime” Orangemen at their best.
Both teams scored in bunches, Sherm was running the break to perfection, seemed like a dozen alley-oops to Stevie, and Sherm tied NCAA record 22 assists, setting a new Big East and Syracuse record in the process.
So much fun!

I tweeted this but thought it may make for good discussion here. I know we asked in the past about individual people in regards to your own Syracuse Mt. Rushmore...but what about moments? If you had to isolate 4 Syracuse sports moments that you experienced in one fashion or another...ie, since you began following the team in some fashion.

What is your Mt. Rushmore for Syracuse moments you personally experienced? It could have been on TV, in person, whatever, just during your random (as opposed to years or decades prior).

For me, the top 3 are slam dunks. In no particular order they are

- The 1996 Win over Georgia in the NCAA Tourney
- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

The 4th was trickier. 6 OTs is absolutely worth consideration. As was Gillon. The Allen Griffin game (St. John's, MSG) was a sneaky contender for me on a personal level, but i think it's too personal and relatively insignificant a memory to belong on here for me. The 2022 Soccer title SHOULD be on here but I am just not a big enough soccer fan. If I didn't watch the majority of the game live it really can't count for me personally.

Ultimately, the Final 4 that I landed on, and in large part to add a contemporary event that happened to be huge...

- The 1996 Win over Georgia in the NCAA Tourney
- The Block
- BROMINSKI!

- Cuse over Clemson football 2017

Curious to see how the Mt Rushmores may change based on era people began following the team.
#1 Michael owens 2 point run (I was there)

#2 mike siano end zone grab (i was there)

#3 Haks block ( i WISH I was there )

2003 Hoops

WV Owens

Pearl committing to the Cuse

Pat Dye going for the tie

Considered... Shermans hike pass against Indiana

Ref throwing flag on our db against Tennessee

Georgetown- Cuse Michael Graham punching Hawkins

I'm going with in person -

6OT
2003 Pitt @ the Dome
2014 Duke @ the Dome
2013 Georgetown BET

Moments and personal experiences...

- 2003 hoops national title: My daughter was 3 weeks old (born on Selection Sunday that year) and I had to hold her and pace around my living room for the entire second half so she would sleep. When Hak made The Block I had to jump up and down verrrrrry gently and scream silently in joy.
I hope she knows the sacrifices you made for her that night.

The top 4 from the OP are pretty spot on. Does the Big East tourney run with Gerry count? That was less of a ”moment” but it was a pretty special week.

1- 2003 Nat'l Championship game
2- WVU '87
3- Air Gait
4- Pearl half court shot vs BC 1984

Just missed: UVA 2016 elite 8 game (Easter miracle), 6OT, McNabb to Brominski, Nebraska '84, '96 Miss St FF game (watched at Maggie's on M Street), '83 Lax Natty vs Hopkins, '98 W at Michigan (and Tom Brady got benched).

Also, this is possibly the most exciting 6-0 run in the history of western civilization….
Total bedlam. It was such a blast to go to the games at the Dome back then. thank you for sharing. I remember this well. I went to all the games growing up in Cuse in the 80s and 90s. It was great to finally beat Gtown and snap that losing streak, and it was a hell of a way to send off Sherman in his final home game. Definitely among my favorite Cuse games of all time.

In person:

2003 Hoops vs Kansas
1996 Hoops vs Miss St.
2013 Hoops vs Marquette
1990 Lacrosse vs Loyola

Honorable mention:

1998 Football vs Miami
1985 Hoops vs Georgetown (at Dome)

The top 4 from the OP are pretty spot on. Does the Big East tourney run with Gerry count? That was less of a ”moment” but it was a pretty special week.
There were multiple “moments” that stand out in that run.

GMac’s buzzer beating winner against Cincy.

GMac’s 3 to put the UConn game into OT. Once he hit that, I remember being so confident we would win. Incredible win, UConn was loaded.

The GMac - Devendorf bounce pass/layup to give us our first lead of the game with seconds left.

My kingdom for anyone who can find online the 2003 Pitt game at the Dome.
A couple years ago it was on YouTube but it isn't on there anymore. Because for some reason enjoying a grainy ESPN Plus basketball game narrated by Dave Sims is a crime against society somehow.

GMac’s 3 to put the UConn game into OT. Once he hit that, I remember being so confident we would win. Incredible win, UConn was loaded.
In a way, I actually found that 2006 UConn game to be a smidge more exhilarating than the 6OT game. We were playing for our tourney lives there and I think most of us were mentally prepared for the NIT prior to the Cincy game. Whereas in 2009 it was just playing for seeding.

It was just a monumental upset. They absolutely destroyed us twice in the regular season.