What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about what you're advocating. Red has never had an offer to be a HC anywhere. MAYBE he'll be a head coach somewhere, someday -- but that will probably be at a lower level.

Devo and DNic as assistant coaches? C'mon. Time to stop thinking small, and look outside of the cozy, amniotic sack of the program for an influx of new ideas, strategy, and leadership.

Boynton and Oats aren't the only two candidates out there
Think about what you're advocating. Red has never had an offer to be a HC anywhere. MAYBE he'll be a head coach somewhere, someday -- but that will probably be at a lower level.

Devo and DNic as assistant coaches? C'mon. Time to stop thinking small, and look outside of the cozy, amniotic sack of the program for an influx of new ideas, strategy, and leadership.

Boynton and Oats aren't the only two candidates out there.
There aren’t many out there that would keep Syracuse at a high level. Red has been an assistant here for ten years and has taken the role as top assistant after Hop left he’s earned a chance to at least interview. Why not look at Dnic or Devo. Both have a lot of experience around basketball. I’m not just saying them because there former players. Dnic played pro and has been working around basketball for a while he wouldn’t be a bad option. Devo has been around the program forever as a coach, trainer, and alumni. He still trains our players to this day.

I’d like John Becker. No controversy surrounding him. Great coach who teaches great defenses. I think he’d fit right in.

I’d like John Becker. No controversy surrounding him. Great coach who teaches great defenses. I think he’d fit right in.
The devils advocate in me worries that he has never had to recruit the type of talent to win at a power 5.

Why’s that? Red is gonna be a head coach somewhere soon even if it’s not Syracuse. Devo has experience coaching here and a year in Detroit he’s earned a chance to be an assistant. Gmac and griff have both held their weight recently in recruiting and players rave about them. I’m not sure who you think cuse can get but they won’t get oats and boynton hasn’t really done much other than hire cades brother to win.
He can go try and do something at a mid-major. Giving any of them their 1st HC job in the ACC is a horrible idea to me. If Red craps the bed do you then give GMac his 1st shot too? Duke is giving Scheyer a crack at it and I am extremely excited about it because I think it's a great outcome for us as a competitor.

Selecting from an extremely tiny candidate pool for the University's flagship program and AD income source is foolish beyond belief.

He can go try and do something at a mid-major. Giving any of them their 1st HC job in the ACC is a horrible idea to me. If Red craps the bed do you then give GMac his 1st shot too? Duke is giving Scheyer a crack at it and I am extremely excited about it because I think it's a great outcome for us as a competitor.

Selecting from an extremely tiny candidate pool for the University's flagship program and AD income source is foolish beyond belief.
I’m very curious to hear the names you would bring in to interview outside the family then. You must be smarter than the people picking the next head coaches for duke and North Carolina the two top programs in the whole country.

There aren’t many out there that would keep Syracuse at a high level. Red has been an assistant here for ten years and has taken the role as top assistant after Hop left he’s earned a chance to at least interview. Why not look at Dnic or Devo. Both have a lot of experience around basketball. I’m not just saying them because there former players. Dnic played pro and has been working around basketball for a while he wouldn’t be a bad option. Devo has been around the program forever as a coach, trainer, and alumni. He still trains our players to this day.

The highlighted portion of your post is nonsense, and a rationalization against bringing in the best, most qualified candidate possible. It is extremely difficult to replace an icon. One way to ensure failure is to artificially restrict our candidate pool to a checklist of criteria that should be far down the list -- like having ties to the program -- and settling for guys that are potentially unqualified. We need to do full due diligence when it comes to selecting the next head coach, so that the program doesn't continue to decline from the perpetual bubble status we've been mired in.

The only possible reason for advocating Devo / DNic is because they were former players in our program.

Nothing against those guys, but we need to do better.

Recruiting starts with having connections. Hop had them everywhere. Devo and Nichols don’t have any. It’s taken GMAC several years to build connections.

Great post.

I'll add that the Duke situation doesn't come close to mirroring ours in terms of where their program is at relative to where ours currently is. They're recruiting at a high level, and have had good teams. OF COURSE they want continuity.

The highlighted portion of your post is nonsense, and a rationalization against bringing in the best, most qualified candidate possible. It is extremely difficult to replace an icon. One way to ensure failure is to artificially restrict our candidate pool to a checklist of criteria that should be far down the list -- like having ties to the program. We need to do full due diligence when it comes to selecting the next head coach, so that the program doesn't continue to decline from the perpetual bubble status we've been mired in.

The only possible reason for advocating Devo / DNic is because they were former players in our program.

Sure interview outside see what the interest is but Red has earned his chance.
The highlighted portion of your post is nonsense, and a rationalization against bringing in the best, most qualified candidate possible. It is extremely difficult to replace an icon. One way to ensure failure is to artificially restrict our candidate pool to a checklist of criteria that should be far down the list -- like having ties to the program -- and settling for guys that are potentially unqualified. We need to do full due diligence when it comes to selecting the next head coach, so that the program doesn't continue to decline from the perpetual bubble status we've been mired in.

you’ve yet to name a candidate outside the family that would be a step above Red, Gerry, or Hop that would take the job.

Great post.

I'll add that the Duke situation doesn't come close to mirroring ours in terms of where their program is at relative to where ours currently is. They're recruiting at a high level, and have had good teams. OF COURSE they want continuity.
I'm just happy that when a recruit now gets a call or goes into the coaches office it is with Jon Scheyer and not with Coach K. He may turn into a guy that can steal guys from us at the last second but it's going to be a lot less likely than it has been.

Great post.

Well they weren’t good last year. If they aren’t good this year I think Scheyer will be on an incredibly short leash. I actually think the UNC situation more resembles ours though.

Coaching seems to be a tough business right now. Guys don’t stick like they used to.

I think Boynton and Paulus are the best options given so far and they aren’t great.

Sure interview outside see what the interest is but Red has earned his chance.

you’ve yet to name a candidate outside the family that would be a step above Red, Gerry, or Hop that would take the job.
Take the job? The job is likely somewhere between the 8th and 12th best job in the entire industry. I'd say it's easier to compile a list of guys to eliminate since it's likely just a handful then try to name a possible replacement.

And go.

I think we either stay directly in-house or go with someone like Hop. Stevie Thompson is an interesting name, having been a head coach at a lower level plus an assistant at the P5 level but not sure he would rate over any of the current assistants. The current guys have recruiting ties in our traditional areas and are already associated with SU. Let's say it is Red or Gerry...future SU players from, say, 2023 probably already know them and have an embryonic relationship with them.

The other thing that fans often overlook is that being a good recruiter doesn't automatically mean the guy has the best skills to successfully run a major program. Sometimes, assistant coaches are supremely qualified to be a successful assistant coach but perhaps they do not possess everything else to be the head guy. Kind of like how a company's top widget salesman might be great at what he does but might not have the aptitude to be promoted to GM or North American President. That has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but it might help differentiate between a Red or a Gerry or a Stevie or whomever.

I think there is a time to cast a wide net, but I think that time will probably be during the next go-round. Whomever gets hired after JB will be in a brutal position. The expectations will be unreal, and with the changing face of college hoops, the portal, lack of patience in players unwilling to wait a couple of years to develop, etc, it is not going to get easier.

Even the anti-JB crowd is going to expect JB-like results; both immediately as well as consistently. I would estimate that whomever replaces Jim Boeheim probably has a relatively low chance of being around for the long-term. At that point, SU would likely cast the very wide net. However, I'm guessing Wildhack already knows who he wants or has a very short list for when JB retires. I doubt he makes the opening a free for all.

Not saying this is right or wrong or whether I think it is the right choice. Just thinking that is the way it will happen.

I think our candidate pool will be directly impacted by how much JB will want/be around the program and how much his finger prints will still be on it.

I don't mean that as good or bad, I just think that if he's planning to still walk the halls (no idea if that's his deal or not) at the Melo Center and give his input how that impacts the make up of the group.

Dean did that at UNC and I'm not sure if K will. But both UNC and Duke hiring alums makes it seem like one of the parts will be to honor the input/presence that the exiting coach may want to have, at least to some extent.

Take the job? The job is likely somewhere between the 8th and 12th best job in the entire industry. I'd say it's easier to compile a list of guys to eliminate since it's likely just a handful then try to name a possible replacement.
Other than oats can you name a guy with coaching experience with good ties in the north east who has won and recruited at a high level. Probably not. I’m not convinced Oats would take the job he’s making a lot of money at Bama and building a winner.

And if timed right should be the #1 job available. Its not going to be an easy hire so it needs to be high profile if not in house. I like Jared Grasso and what he did as an assistsnt at Iona and now at Bryant but he doesn't make a splash.

Other than oats can you name a guy with coaching experience with good ties in the north east who has won and recruited at a high level. Probably not. I’m not convinced Oats would take the job he’s making a lot of money at Bama and building a winner.
There’s a reason Bama’s paying what they are - aside from him being a good coach.

Who the hell wants to stay in Bama?

And if timed right should be the #1 job available. Its not going to be an easy hire so it needs to be high profile if not in house. I like Jared Grasso and what he did as an assistsnt at Iona and now at Bryant but he doesn't make a splash.

100% right. When the time comes, there will be PLENTY of candidates interested in a high profile job in the ACC, with the largest arena in college basketball, top 5 in all time wins, playing in front of the largest crowds in college hoops. And now that we have ACC revenue, paying a candidate market value won't be an issue.

Here's hoping that fans are able to return for football in the fall and hoops over the winter, so that revenue goes up. Would hate to see us resort to a "cheap" hire over short-term revenue constraints that are finite.

Duke got pigeonholed because Capel, Woj and Collins all had their shining stars flame out before the seat was open else they would have likely been the top 3 choices. We may have the same scenario but even a diminished Hop excites me far more than our current internal guys.

Need Carmelo to announce his retirement from the NBA on the same day that JB announces his and starts his next chapter. He's the only other former player besides Hop that I would have any interest in. Imagine once he calls it a career that he's looking to sip wine and watch Kiyan ball and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom