What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than oats can you name a guy with coaching experience with good ties in the north east who has won and recruited at a high level. Probably not. I’m not convinced Oats would take the job he’s making a lot of money at Bama and building a winner.
My list would be Oats, Hop, Bobby Hurley.

What jobs are better than Syracuse, and not only because of their current sitting coach like Virginia?

Duke, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, Nova, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisville?

Ohio State, Michigan and Florida would be stretching it.

Syracuse is still a destination coaching job for pretty much anyone not already coaching at the above schools.

The highlighted portion of your post is nonsense, and a rationalization against bringing in the best, most qualified candidate possible. It is extremely difficult to replace an icon. One way to ensure failure is to artificially restrict our candidate pool to a checklist of criteria that should be far down the list -- like having ties to the program -- and settling for guys that are potentially unqualified. We need to do full due diligence when it comes to selecting the next head coach, so that the program doesn't continue to decline from the perpetual bubble status we've been mired in.

The only possible reason for advocating Devo / DNic is because they were former players in our program.

Nothing against those guys, but we need to do better.

I do, and have, fully agreed with this. My hope / concern pertains to the thinking of the AD and powers that be. Seeing what UNC and Duke have done does give me a bit of concern re line of thinking of decision makers at these programs. I very much hope JW has bigger ambitions. But not sure I have heard anywhere definitively that that is the case.

What jobs are better than Syracuse, and not only because of their current sitting coach like Virginia?

Duke, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, Nova, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisville?

Ohio State, Michigan and Florida would be stretching it.

Syracuse is still a destination coaching job for pretty much anyone not already coaching at the above schools.
ESPN actually has an ongoing series about the tiers in each conference...believe that it basically shakes out like this...

Duke, UNC, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Arizona are the only ones clearly in a tier above us.

Can group us in with Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, Virginia, Georgetown, Villanova, Texas, Oregon.

Bobby Hurley?! Did you see his record last year? I thought you wanted success. That was with a 5 star and a couple more highly rated guys.
He was great at UB and has had Arizona State where he has 0 connections ranked in the top 25 at some point in 3 of the last 4 years. If you think that is less deserving of the Cuse job then Red Autry then send me some of what you are drinking.

He was great at UB and has had Arizona State where he has 0 connections ranked in the top 25 at some point in 3 of the last 4 years. If you think that is less deserving of the Cuse job then Red Autry then send me some of what you are drinking.

Hurley is a great recruiter. He’s underperformed with the talent he’s had at Arizona State.

Bobby Hurley is one of Dukes best players ever and they didn’t even reach out to him.
You keep speaking as the only person with knowledge of the Duke coaching search. Weird that you know who they reached out to and there has been minimal if any confirmation of anything at all outside of the Scheyer hire. Regardless of that, the Duke job and Syracuse job are not apples to apples.

If we had to hire a coach tomorrow and it was Bobby Hurley or any of our assistants, I wouldn't think about it for more than 2 seconds.

I mean one has a bunch of connections with all of our recruits, a history with the program, a so far successful assistant coaching career, a connection with alumni and former players. JB will also have a big say in this and I can tell you he won’t consider Hurley.

Hurley is a great recruiter. He’s underperformed with the talent he’s had at Arizona State.
I'd be cool with a great recruiter who may continue to develop as a coach compared to a decent to good recruiter and unk as coach.

I mean one has a bunch of connections with all of our recruits, a history with the program, a so far successful assistant coaching career, a connection with alumni and former players. JB will also have a big say in this and I can tell you he won’t consider Hurley.
No kidding. You asked for names of coaches with some success and northeast ties and I give a few and now I'm sitting here arguing about Bobby friggin Hurley for 10 minutes of my day.

You keep speaking as the only person with knowledge of the Duke coaching search. Weird that you know who they reached out to and there has been minimal if any confirmation of anything at all outside of the Scheyer hire. Regardless of that, the Duke job and Syracuse job are not apples to apples.

If we had to hire a coach tomorrow and it was Bobby Hurley or any of our assistants, I wouldn't think about it for more than 2 seconds.

I am speaking based on what's been reported and discussed. Our board has been saying for 10 years that he would be Coach K's replacement and like Kaiser says the board was wrong as usual.

I think fans in general are overrating the allure of some of these college jobs. It isn't what it once was.

And yes I am a hard pass on Bobby Hurley. He's had more top 100 players than we have had and a much worse record at Arizona State.

Last edited:
I am speaking based on what's been reported and discussed. Our board has been saying for 10 years that he would be Coach K's replacement and like Kaiser says board was wrong as usual.

I think fans in general are overrating the allure of some of these college jobs. It isn't what it once was.

And yes I am a hard pass on Bobby Hurley. He's had more top 100 players than we have had and a much worse record at Arizona State.
I honestly don't pay attention to Arizona State whatsoever but looks like he was on his way to a 3rd straight tournament bid when Covid hit in 2020. Bad record in 2021 but not sure if we can hold that against anyone. He's a NJ kid with incredible ties in the northeast. Storied playing career. Certainly appears to be a very high end recruiter. His time at UB you would think would seem to indicate that he's a great teacher since they really took off pretty much instantly when he took over. Who knows though, he may be one of those guys like Shaka appears to be that were able to get the absolute most out of underdog type guys and maybe not so much out of the elite guys.

The devils advocate in me worries that he has never had to recruit the type of talent to win at a power 5.

Thats true. But any coach coming from a smaller school faces the same problem. Our school name and history gives him a leg up automatically over lots of schools. He has a proven successful consistent track record.
I honestly don’t think it would take him much time to start pulling in great talent. Guys want to play for Syracuse but some may not want to play the zone or play for Boeheim specifically lately.
We keep a great defense but shed the zone. We get a guy who knows how to win consistently not just when the recruiting class is stellar.

Our basis for saying we can’t get Oats is we can’t compete with Alabama’s money.

First of all, very few of us actually know what ADJW’s willing to spend as we’ve been gifted a bargain priced Hall of Famer for 50 years and really didn’t have to find out.

Second of all, Bama’s going to need to pay him that much seeing as it’s Tuscaloosa and he’s coaching the second act in town. Bama pays that much because they need to.

I am speaking based on what's been reported and discussed. Our board has been saying for 10 years that he would be Coach K's replacement and like Kaiser says the board was wrong as usual.

I am surprised at the lack of discussion on the dramatic changes we've seen in the past 5-7 years in CBB, and how it impacts the job. We need a coach who can relate to the players of today, earn their respect, sometimes cater to their aspirations, and oftentimes get them to buy into team concepts that may go against the 'desires' of their ever-growing camps.

They need to bring in the one and done's and get the most out of them. They need to know how to attract but also when to stop dealing with the Dior's of the world. Recruiting is the most important component, IMO - as we are going to have to rely more and more on 'rolling the ball out there' not only because that is what it will take to attract the best talent, but because who can possibly ever compete with JB on knowing the X's and O's?

As long as we desire to compete with the big boys, and not be a 'system' like program and therefore attract somewhat lesser recruits, we should focus on the best recruiter and relationship guy available, and pray the X's and O's come over time. Hop fits that description - as do some of the other external suggestions such as Hurley. I don't think it would be a Hurley, however. I would not say 'no' to Red for these reasons as well, but really don't know enough about him. I am guessing JB and JW do.

it is very difficult to follow a legend. As the only saying goes, you want to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend. Hopefully the next guy will do well. If Hop has at least a half decent year this upcoming season then he should be the main target

Luke Murray so his father comes to games. Iona was pretty impressive last season. If their HC goes as long as JB that gives us 8 seasons.

There are a lot of young HCs who have been around a short time or just started at mid majors. Prior they were assistants at P5 schools and have recruiting ties. By the time JB retires one of these guys might show they can actually coach and not just recruit. That would be my choice. Someone who can coach and has ties to the NYC-DC corridor.

it is very difficult to follow a legend. As the only saying goes, you want to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the legend. Hopefully the next guy will do well. If Hop has at least a half decent year this upcoming season then he should be the main target
With our record the last 8 years, think the following a legend is not such an issue

Allow me to offer a name that I have not seen that could have interest when the time comes:

E to the Mizzuss

These are some ideas of candidates who would take the job until an NBA head coaching job came along and would likely win immediately.

Maybe Brad will want to get back behind the bench in 2-3 years and we can get him if Indiana isn't looking as well lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom