What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg Paulus.
I have to say Paulus is probably my 3rd most disliked former Dukie ( along list) behind Wo-blow and Hurl-ee. He would have been behind Laettner but since Laettner is the most hated player in Kentucky that raises my opinion of him a bit. But the kid showed guts when he came back home to play QB and earned my respect as an athlete and person. I find him an interesting name.

Our basis for saying we can’t get Oats is we can’t compete with Alabama’s money.

First of all, very few of us actually know what ADJW’s willing to spend as we’ve been gifted a bargain priced Hall of Famer for 50 years and really didn’t have to find out.

Second of all, Bama’s going to need to pay him that much seeing as it’s Tuscaloosa and he’s coaching the second act in town. Bama pays that much because they need to.
Who cares if it’s the second act in town if he’s getting paid. Am I going to quit my job because the company I work for isn’t as good as the company next door? It literally makes zero sense and I don’t know where this narrative came from. Billy Donovan did well as the second act, why didn’t he take another job in college while he was there? Maybe he should’ve gone to Creighton so he could be first fiddle.

Tuscaloosa isn’t great, but please don’t cite Syracuse as a place where you’d move because it’s nicer than somewhere else. Nobody would ever move there if it wasn’t for family or for a job.

You keep speaking as the only person with knowledge of the Duke coaching search. Weird that you know who they reached out to and there has been minimal if any confirmation of anything at all outside of the Scheyer hire. Regardless of that, the Duke job and Syracuse job are not apples to apples.

If we had to hire a coach tomorrow and it was Bobby Hurley or any of our assistants, I wouldn't think about it for more than 2 seconds.
Thank goodness you don't have to think about it.

Also, there is no job in any industry on any planet that Bobby Hurley is more deserving of than Red Autry. Hurley is a POS exceeded in that area only by his brother. If they hired him they would need to put seats back into Manley for the games.

Thank goodness you don't have to think about it.

Also, there is no job in any industry on any planet that Bobby Hurley is more deserving of than Red Autry. Hurley is a POS exceeded in that area only by his brother. If they hired him they would need to put seats back into Manley for the games.
Serious question, what makes him a POS? I was a child when he played at Duke and have 0 knowledge of what he did between flaming out of the NBA and then taking over at UB where he was pretty damn successful.

Think about what you're advocating. Red has never had an offer to be a HC anywhere. MAYBE he'll be a head coach somewhere, someday -- but that will probably be at a lower level.

Devo and DNic as assistant coaches? C'mon. Time to stop thinking small, and look outside of the cozy, amniotic sack of the program for an influx of new ideas, strategy, and leadership.

Boynton and Oats aren't the only two candidates out there.
My question would still be... after a couple of successful seasons, would the both be looking for the next open spot out there or would they be down to be here? I mean we can roll with that as long as we know the potential negatives..

My question would still be... after a couple of successful seasons, would the both be looking for the next open spot out there or would they be down to be here? I mean we can roll with that as long as we know the potential negatives..

That is a higher risk with non-alum candidates, I would think. But I just don't think you can let that keep you from hiring someone if you think he's the right coach.

He can go try and do something at a mid-major. Giving any of them their 1st HC job in the ACC is a horrible idea to me. If Red craps the bed do you then give GMac his 1st shot too? Duke is giving Scheyer a crack at it and I am extremely excited about it because I think it's a great outcome for us as a competitor.

Selecting from an extremely tiny candidate pool for the University's flagship program and AD income source is foolish beyond belief.
I would like this ten times if I could, great post.

That is a higher risk with non-alum candidates, I would think. But I just don't think you can let that keep you from hiring someone if you think he's the right coach.
Seriously... I'm not definitive either way cause I can see the arguments on both sides.. but it should play a role or be taken into consideration during the decision. I guess what it boils down to is defining what the "right" coach for the decision makers means.

My point... How long has Howard been at MI??

Our basis for saying we can’t get Oats is we can’t compete with Alabama’s money.

First of all, very few of us actually know what ADJW’s willing to spend as we’ve been gifted a bargain priced Hall of Famer for 50 years and really didn’t have to find out.

Second of all, Bama’s going to need to pay him that much seeing as it’s Tuscaloosa and he’s coaching the second act in town. Bama pays that much because they need to.
Do you think Syracuse is a better destination than Tuscaloosa? Maybe it is, I don't know since I've only driven through Tuscaloosa. This assumption that all of these SEC college towns are horrible places to live is misguided. We don't know what anyone looks for in a location to live. I'm sure there are nice areas of town that a millionaire can choose to live In. If it sucked, I don't think Nick Saban would be there. He could choose any school in the country, name his salary, and build a NC contender immediately. It must not be that bad.

Last edited:
Do you think Syracuse is a better destination than Tuscaloosa? Maybe it is, I don't know since I've only driven through Tuscaloosa. This assumption that all of these SEC college towns are horrible places to live is misguided. We don't know what anyone looks for in a location to live. I'm sure there are nice areas of town that a millionaire can choose to live. If it sucked, I don't think Nick Saban would be there. He could choose any school in the country, name his salary, and build a NC contender immediately. It must not be that bad.
Im pretty comfortable in saying Upstate New York is a better place to be than Alabama aside from maybe the coast.

Saban’s there because aside from places like Notre Dame and Ohio State, Alabama’s the premiere football culture in the nation and lives, breathes and dies with football. Im not sure there’s an equivalent in college basketball, maybe UNC or Kansas

Even the anti-JB crowd is going to expect JB-like results
I think some of you are overstating the pressure. The new guy just has to be in the bubble conversation, middle of the ACC, 13 losses, and we’ll be holding serve. Those are unreal expectations? Cmon.

Tuscaloosa isn’t great, but please don’t cite Syracuse as a place where you’d move because it’s nicer than somewhere else. Nobody would ever move there if it wasn’t for family or for a job.
I would. I did.

I've never understood the self-loathing of some locals. Finger Lakes and Adirondacks a stone's throw away, good food, good craft brews; some people like those things.

Im pretty comfortable in saying Upstate New York is a better place to be than Alabama aside from maybe the coast.

Saban’s there because aside from places like Notre Dame and Ohio State, Alabama’s the premiere football culture in the nation and lives, breathes and dies with football. Im not sure there’s an equivalent in college basketball, maybe UNC or Kansas
That culture has pros and cons. The boosters can be insufferable but Saban has the power to keep them at bay. But he could go to Texas (Austin is considered a great place to live) and have the same culture.

You think upstate new york is better, but you can't apply your criteria to everyone. I know a lot of people that live in or have lived in southern college towns. As much as I dislike Knoxville, a lot of people I know, both transplants and natives, love it here.

Oats is from the north and lived in upstate. Maybe he loved it and would welcome the opportunity to come back maybe he loves the south. It's footlish for us to know what he likes. People think of the deep south and think it's nothing but trailer parks, just like nearly everyone here thinks the whole state of NY is Manhattan when I tell them I'm from NY. I doubt Oats is hanging out in the trailer parks in Alabama anymore than JB does in CNY.

I would. I did.

I've never understood the self-loathing of some locals. Finger Lakes and Adirondacks a stone's throw away, good food, good craft brews; some people like those things.
Between what you’ve mentioned and the proximity to world class cities in two countries I figured it not worth entertaining the comparison further

That culture has pros and cons. The boosters can be insufferable but Saban has the power to keep them at bay. But he could go to Texas (Austin is considered a great place to live) and have the same culture.

You think upstate new york is better, but you can't apply your criteria to everyone. I know a lot of people that live in or have lived in southern college towns. As much as I dislike Knoxville, a lot of people I know, both transplants and natives, love it here.

Oats is from the north and lived in upstate. Maybe he loved it and would welcome the opportunity to come back maybe he loves the south. It's footlish for us to know what he likes. People think of the deep south and think it's nothing but trailer parks, just like nearly everyone here thinks the whole state of NY is Manhattan when I tell them I'm from NY. I doubt Oats is hanging out in the trailer parks in Alabama anymore than JB does in CNY.
Knoxville and Tennessee are a lot different than Bama and Mississippi.

I do not say Syracuse is better than Tuscaloosa because I think Bama’s full of trailer parks or the likes. I consider what Syracuse has to offer vs Tuscaloosa and what each is in proximity to. But you have a point in maybe Oats is drawn to that area of the country for reasons we’re all unaware of. Anything’s possible. I personally do not know a person who’d choose living in central Alabama rather than CNY though.

Between what you’ve mentioned and the proximity to world class cities in two countries I figured it not worth entertaining the comparison further
It seems we're having two different conversations. I'm not denying upstate NY has it's positives. If it wasn't for the weather, I'd still be there. It seems you are trying to compare locations. That's not at all what I'm doing. The point I'm making is that you don't know what he cares about. All of the things you and EnviroSciGuy mentioned are appealing to some people. To others, such as myself, they are meaningless.

Knoxville and Tennessee are a lot different than Bama and Mississippi.

I do not say Syracuse is better than Tuscaloosa because I think Bama’s full of trailer parks or the likes. I consider what Syracuse has to offer vs Tuscaloosa and what each is in proximity to. But you have a point in maybe Oats is drawn to that area of the country for reasons we’re all unaware of. Anything’s possible. I personally do not know a person who’d choose living in central Alabama rather than CNY though.
Of course you don't? Have you lived there? Have you lived anywhere in the south? If you had, you would know plenty that wouldn't fathom living in CNY. I know people that have lived in Alabama and now live in Knoxville that wouldn't entertain living in upstate NY.

Edit: What makes you think Alabama and Mississippi are that different than Tennessee?

It seems we're having two different conversations. I'm not denying upstate NY has it's positives. If it wasn't for the weather, I'd still be there. It seems you are trying to compare locations. That's not at all what I'm doing. The point I'm making is that you don't know what he cares about. All of the things you and EnviroSciGuy mentioned are appealing to some people. To others, such as myself, they are meaningless.
I think he was responding more to two 3s comment about Syracuse as was Enviro.

Take the job? The job is likely somewhere between the 8th and 12th best job in the entire industry. I'd say it's easier to compile a list of guys to eliminate since it's likely just a handful then try to name a possible replacement.
It will be interesting if SU pays the going rate. The program has run at a discount for 40 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom