What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here? | Syracusefan.com

What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think you’ll see an outside the family hire because the realistic options don’t match what we are looking for at all... some names would be Ed Cooley, Willard, Travis Steele. Way better off going with one of Red, Gmac, or Hop just because of recruiting connections and familiarity they have with the program and area.

I don’t think you’ll see an outside the family hire because the realistic options don’t match what we are looking for at all... some names would be Ed Cooley, Willard, Travis Steele. Way better off going with one of Red, Gmac, or Hop just because of recruiting connections and familiarity they have with the program and area.

I agree and I’d rather take a chance on one of our guys than Cooley or especially Willard.

I put him at about 1%.
I think he would take a meeting. It would have to be someone who has a great reputation for Cuse to step outside the box. I think they would need to be successful on a high major level. Not sure mid major cuts it. I think its go big ot stay home. With Duke and UNC spoken for it moves us up the list of great future openings.

I agree and I’d rather take a chance on one of our guys than Cooley or especially Willard.
Yeah I would promote Red and then try and keep gmac and griff and and groom Demetris Nichols while he’s a GA than just add him on as an assistant full time when the time comes. Devo would be another option as the third assistant. Both would be pretty good recruiters.

I think Boynton could be realistic. Still his resume is the same as Hopkins.

Whys that? I’d bet he’d take the meeting and aside from Kentucky there’s likely not going to be a better job opening unless he’s concrete set in Bama.

Why wasn’t he interested in one of the openings this spring?

Why wasn’t he interested in one of the openings this spring?
What openings are you speaking of? UNC and Duke stayed in-house, Kansas signed Self for life.
Clearly Bama knows him leavings not out of the realm of possibilities, thus the extension

What openings are you speaking of? UNC and Duke stayed in-house. Clearly Bama knows him leavings not out of the realm of possibilities, thus the extension

By most accounts Duke looked elsewhere first.

Yeah I would promote Red and then try and keep gmac and griff and and groom Demetris Nichols while he’s a GA than just add him on as an assistant full time when the time comes. Devo would be another option as the third assistant. Both would be pretty good recruiters.

That would be the worst possible outcome. Thank god you are not in charge of the process.

I know we all had our undies in a bunch over Oats’ arrogant comments following the Ub loss years ago, but do you really think Duke looked at Oats?

He’s a plausible successor to Boeheim and probably a talk/diet pepsi (I don’t think JB drinks does he?) from hashing over any standing grievances with JB.

With K and Duke? Not so much. Can’t be considered for Duke after his K comments

If people in the industry had an ounce of trust or respect for Pat Kelsey after what he pulled in 2017 he would be a solid candidate

reports said former Duke coaches/players like Amaker. Haven’t seen anything about any non Duke related coaches.

That would be the worst possible outcome. Thank god you are not in charge of the process.
Why’s that? Red is gonna be a head coach somewhere soon even if it’s not Syracuse. Devo has experience coaching here and a year in Detroit he’s earned a chance to be an assistant. Gmac and griff have both held their weight recently in recruiting and players rave about them. I’m not sure who you think cuse can get but they won’t get oats and boynton hasn’t really done much other than hire cades brother to win.

Why’s that? Red is gonna be a head coach somewhere soon even if it’s not Syracuse. Devo has experience coaching here and a year in Detroit he’s earned a chance to be an assistant. Gmac and griff have both held their weight recently in recruiting and players rave about them. I’m not sure who you think cuse can get but they won’t get oats and boynton hasn’t really done much other than hire cades brother to win.

Think about what you're advocating. Red has never had an offer to be a HC anywhere. MAYBE he'll be a head coach somewhere, someday -- but that will probably be at a lower level.

Devo and DNic as assistant coaches? C'mon. Time to stop thinking small, and look outside of the cozy, amniotic sack of the program for an influx of new ideas, strategy, and leadership.

Boynton and Oats aren't the only two candidates out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom