What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to worry about a new coach anytime soon. Didn't you see JB's quote earlier today (at the presser for the covered basketball courts donation from his foundation)...

“We’re very proud of this, very proud to be a part of it,” Boeheim said, “and we look forward to doing many things during my long career ahead of me.” ;)

Last edited:
Some like Thamel, some don't but Pete is pretty connected in the college basketball world. He thinks Red will be the guy when JB decides to hang it up. Good listen on Mike's latest pod...

Greg McDermott would be the one coach on that list I would actually consider. He has been successful at different schools, and at 56 years old still has a few years left in him.

Some like Thamel, some don't but Pete is pretty connected in the college basketball world. He thinks Red will be the guy when JB decides to hang it up. Good listen on Mike's latest pod...
It was a good discussion. Pete kind of poo poos Syracuse, saying there is no reason SU should be good at basketball.

I have a quibble here. CNY has the most basketball fans in the country and they are unbelievably loyal and fanatical about their team. Who else is going to draw 25K for a weekday night game in the middle of a blizzard?

That alone differentiates Syracuse from any other program in the country, with the possible exception of Kentucky.

RF2044I want an outsider.
ADJW:Perfect. There are several outside candidates that we think would be really...
RF:No, I mean an ousider. Like someone on the margins of society. Who doesn't see things like we do. Like a homeless person.
Alsacs:A homeless person. Really? A homeless person.
RF:No, you're right, Alsacs. Let's just leave them to the welfare system. Let that handle it.
AlsacsNo, I want you to say that you think the best person to be or new coach is a homeless person.
RF:Let me guess who you want Alsacs. Townie? That guy who always posts “We love ya Jimmy”?

It means that interviews with current recruits and their AAU coaches say that we have an inflated view of the importance of our brand. We haven't even won 20 games in the regular season in almost a decade. Do you want to argue that?

Our brand was a lot higher when Mike & Jim were coaching the Olympic team, and we were consistently ranked in the Top 10. We had a stretch of about 6-8 years when we were truly elite, an amazing team that legitimately could win the title.

We are nowhere close to that now. We haven't been close to that in 7 years, but when we pitch people on Syracuse, we act like the 2010 and 2012 teams were just yesterday.

That's the point. In 2010 and 2012, these kids were in 2nd or 3rd grade. We haven't been elite in that long. But we still act like we are on the recruiting trail - and of course that's what you're supposed to do! But we don't have the results to back it up.
Don’t forget 2013 and 2014. We were a top 4 seed and Final Four team in 2013 and #1 and undefeated in February in 2014. It was a while ago but it wasn’t a decade ago. Also, we just finished in the top 25 at the end of this season, so maybe we’re finally headed back in the right direction?

Last edited:
It was a good discussion. Pete kind of poo poos Syracuse, saying there is no reason SU should be good at basketball.

I have a quibble here. CNY has the most basketball fans in the country and they are unbelievably loyal and fanatical about their team. Who else is going to draw 25K for a weekday night game in the middle of a blizzard?

That alone differentiates Syracuse from any other program in the country, with the possible exception of Kentucky.
What?? Pete is turrible. He has no clue. Mid-size cities with no pro sports teams are always primed for big college fan bases. Central New York has nearly half a million people, and Syracuse also draws fans from Watertown, Rochester, Utica, Albany and Binghamton. There is literally no other major P5 school anywhere in NY, a state with a population of 20 million people. Jeff Goodman just said the opposite on an SU sports podcast—that Syracuse has dipped but should be back to its usual place in the top 25 and should have good coaching candidates to choose from when JB retires.

RF2044I want an outsider.
ADJW:Perfect. There are several outside candidates that we think would be really...
RF:No, I mean an ousider. Like someone on the margins of society. Who doesn't see things like we do. Like a homeless person.
Alsacs:A homeless person. Really? A homeless person.
RF:No, you're right, Alsacs. Let's just leave them to the welfare system. Let that handle it.
AlsacsNo, I want you to say that you think the best person to be or new coach is a homeless person.
RF:Let me guess who you want Alsacs. Townie? That guy who always posts “We love ya Jimmy”?

Way to misinterpret.

Thank goodness you don't have to think about it.

Also, there is no job in any industry on any planet that Bobby Hurley is more deserving of than Red Autry. Hurley is a POS exceeded in that area only by his brother. If they hired him they would need to put seats back into Manley for the games.
I’d take Bobby Hurley as a coach over Red any day.

I’d take Bobby Hurley as a coach over Red any day.
Really? So you’d take a coach whose 8 year head coaching record is 146-103 (.586) and whose first 2 years coaching (.677) are his best years by far? A preference for a young coach whose record has plummeted the longer he coaches and the more experience he gains? In the post season he has only made the NCAA’s 3 times out of 8 years - 2 times in his last 6 years and you consider that a successful benchmark? Realizing that Hurley has yet to have won a first round game in those 3 NCAA attempts doesn’t temper your endorsement at all as he nears his first decade as a head coach? Would you hold Red to those same standards and consider him a success here at SU with those same records?

Bobby Hurley’s only coaching experience even before he became a head coach was 3 years as an assistant, all under his brother Dan - for 2 years at Wagner and another year at Rhode Island. Bobby did hire Nate Oats from his Michigan HS coaching position at Buffalo, as an assistant during his 2 most successful years coaching there.

Greg McDermott would be the one coach on that list I would actually consider. He has been successful at different schools, and at 56 years old still has a few years left in him.

Iowa State fans don't like him. I think the fact he hasn't moved far geographically has helped him.

I'd love the Drake coach who has a kid coming on this year. Not sure how he hasn't gotten a better job yet.

Yeah but your talking Iowa State soooo...lol. Living here in Iowa I get it from both sides-Cyclones and Hawkeye fans. But he did well at UNI and is doing well at Creighton as well. But I can understand their pain, Iowa State was the one place he never really achieved what he could have. Of course they didn't really have the players to compete either. My USDA guy is an Iowa State grad, and he is neutral on him.

Re: Attracting a top level mid-major coach when the time comes--

Thamel, in his discussion with Waters, said that he had investigated this a few years ago. He mentioned specifically talking with Archie Miller (who was then at Dayton) and Chris Mack (Xavier). The interest in the SU job was not high.

Thamel thinks SU will make an internal hire/promotion. Certainly, with events at Duke and UNC, that seems to be the trend.

Thamel, in his discussion with Waters, said that he had investigated this a few years ago. He mentioned specifically talking with Archie Miller (who was then at Dayton) and Chris Mack (Xavier). The interest in the SU job was not high.

Thamel thinks SU will make an internal hire/promotion. Certainly, with events at Duke and UNC, that seems to be the trend.
I do think there are many coaches that won't replace a legend and would be very interested a few years later if the Syracuse job opened up if they are still at a mid major and the pressure to follow JB is gone.

Giving Red or Hop the job for 3-4 years to see what they can do is most likely IMHO.

Honestly, I like the internal promotion for legacy schools. I can't imagine a lot of coaches want to be the first to follow the departures at Duke, UNC, SU, UK, etc. Easier to come in after a transition / adjustment period but even Archie Miller felt the weight of the expectations pretty quickly at IU - and he was coming in after a just north of .500 decade with Crean. Chris Mack has done well enough with UL, with one very solid season, but I'd say his seat gets steamy if they miss a second tournament.

I call BS on Thamel. Tell me the coach of Dayton or Xavier would not jump at the chance to coach at, at worst, a top 15 national program, in the ACC? They would be fools.

I call BS on Thamel. Tell me the coach of Dayton or Xavier would not jump at the chance to coach at, at worst, a top 15 national program, in the ACC? They would be fools.
Total BS. He comes across like an arrogant know it all.

To be the guy who follows a top ten all time coach?

Eh. I could see it. Thamels not that far out there.

To be the guy who follows a top ten all time coach?

Eh. I could see it. Thamels not that far out there.
His logic is sound, but Thamel is about as far from unplugged with regards to our program as possible for a major journalist.

His prediction might be based upon a reasonable set of logic, but it's no more than a guess.

His logic is sound, but Thamel is about as far from unplugged with regards to our program as possible for a major journalist.

His prediction might be based upon a reasonable set of logic, but it's no more than a guess.

I don’t think he has any inside information and FWIW I think I’m about as bad as it gets when trying to make predictions wrt program so the fact that I’m posting this bodes extremely well.

Say what you want, but our budget dwarfs most other schools. We have assets like huge attendance for big games (and many home games) and a very strong fan base up and down the East Coast and in the sports media.

I had this discussion with the UConn fans when we were all in open auditions for those ACC spots a handful of years ago. We have a "brand". We have history. We are part of other teams' big games, too, when they played us in a bowl, or in a Final Four.

We have such history as a program. In an era when players turnover quicker and quicker, it is becoming even more about rooting for the name on the front of the shirt. Players have become too transient.

UConn's overall brand wasn't going to draw casual fans' interest at all in football, and only occasionally in hoops. They don't play enough big TV games to maintain national fan interest.

The ACC gives us those national games year-in and year-out. You have to make sure you wins some of the biggest ones to remain in the conversation. Whether we take advantage is up to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom