What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

What outside coaches would be realistic candidates here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People with pre-conceived ideas of life at other colleges are interesting.
I know people that hated going to my school. I considered it nirvana for an 18-22 year old. I love chicken wings, my wife won't touch them. It's fine to talk in generalities but no one can predict what an individual will prefer and experience.

1622945484655.png

Of course you don't? Have you lived there? Have you lived anywhere in the south? If you had, you would know plenty that wouldn't fathom living in CNY. I know people that have lived in Alabama and now live in Knoxville that wouldn't entertain living in upstate NY.

Edit: What makes you think Alabama and Mississippi are that different than Tennessee?
Id agree Western TN/Memphis is a lot like Bama and Mississippi. But Central and Eastern TN is a growing economic hub in the Country. Nashville’s filled with Northern transplants. From what I’ve experienced it seems much closer to the Carolinas than the deep south.

It seems we're having two different conversations. I'm not denying upstate NY has it's positives. If it wasn't for the weather, I'd still be there. It seems you are trying to compare locations. That's not at all what I'm doing. The point I'm making is that you don't know what he cares about. All of the things you and EnviroSciGuy mentioned are appealing to some people. To others, such as myself, they are meaningless.
I enjoy the seasonal contrast as well, so weather isn't really a detractor. Most of the midwest is far more bitterly cold than Syracuse; we just get more snow. If the months are going to be cold and dark, at least it's a better aesthetic. I lived in Morgantown, WV for six years and the winters were far more depressing in my mind.

I think it’s reasonable to believe that a basketball coach would likely prefer coaching a program like Syracuse vs one like Alabama. It’s a bigger job, in a more historical conference with more fan support and proximity to traditional recruiting hubs.

That said, I agree I have no idea what Nate’s underlying preferences are. My assumptions are just assumptions.

Wasn’t trying to denounce Bama or it’s people, just looking at this through the lens of CBB

Id agree Western TN/Memphis is a lot like Bama and Mississippi. But Central and Eastern TN is a growing economic hub in the Country. Nashville’s filled with Northern transplants. From what I’ve experienced it seems much closer to the Carolinas than the deep south.
Everyone is entitled to there opinion. I don't know what experience you have in the south. My wife grew up in North Carolina, went to college at Auburn in Alabama, and has lived in Knoxville, TN for 17 years. She groups Tennessee firmly in with Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.

I enjoy the seasonal contrast as well, so weather isn't really a detractor. Most of the midwest is far more bitterly cold than Syracuse; we just get more snow. If the months are going to be cold and dark, at least it's a better aesthetic. I lived in Morgantown, WV for six years and the winters were far more depressing in my mind.
Yeah, I know people that love CNY winters. They love to snowmobile or ski. They like the contrast of seasons, including the pleasant summers. Weather preferences are so subjective. Since moving south I've never regretted the trade off of a bit more heat and humidity to avoid CNY winters. I don't miss spending the time snowblowing/shoveling or having wet shoes from slush. I've been amazed at how much better my vehicles have held up away from the salt. The only thing I miss is snow around Christmas. If I could have 3 feet of snow the week before Christmas that all melted on January 2nd, it would be great. I'm a little sad my kids won't get to play in the snow the way I did. I loved snow as a kid.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to there opinion. I don't know what experience you have in the south. My wife grew up in North Carolina, went to college at Auburn in Alabama, and has lived in Knoxville, TN for 17 years. She groups Tennessee firmly in with Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama.
Im sure someone who grew up in the South would know much better, so I concede defeat here. Having visited Nashville and Eastward a few times, I thought it resembled Charlotte/Raleigh D far more than areas closer to the Gulf or Georgia.

H0T Takes: Fran McCaffrey, Frank Martin, Mark Schmidt, Buzz Williams, Greg McDermott, Kelvin Sampson.

Im sure someone who grew up in the South would know much better, so I concede defeat here. Having visited Nashville and Eastward a few times, I thought it resembled Charlotte/Raleigh D far more than areas closer to the Gulf or Georgia.
I have a place in SC that i spend time in and it is wonderful.

I can see that perspective from visiting the cities.

I like the aggressiveness and forward thinking approach of Jared Grasso from Bryant
I like him too but I think I’d prefer him to succeed at a higher level first before we go after him - somewhere like the A10

H0T Takes: Fran McCaffrey, Frank Martin, Mark Schmidt, Buzz Williams, Greg McDermott, Kelvin Sampson.
Of course I could easily be wrong but ...

It seems like Blacksburg was his last foray into the north. He's originally from Texas and went to Oklahoma City U. Even if he gets booted from ATM, I think he'll stay down toward the southwest.

He or Boynton are on a short list I’m sure. But that list is irrelevant. The chances of a non SU alum are like 0 percent

I'd hold off on making that declaration. Hopkins is exponentially more qualified than anyone else on staff, and he's likely one poor season away from coaching himself out of contention.

The other two won't stack up against external candidates. And ADJW has shown that he isn't married to another HCIW arrangement given his rejection of JB's proposal after Hop's departure.

That says a lot about how ADJW will probably approach things.

I'd hold off on making that declaration. Hopkins is exponentially more qualified than anyone else on staff, and he's likely one poor season away from coaching himself out of contention.

The other two won't stack up against external candidates. And ADJW has shown that he isn't married to another HCIW arrangement given his rejection of JB's proposal after Hop's departure.

That says a lot about how ADJW will probably approach things.
I think Puke and UNC are pretty good indicators of what direction we head.

I think Puke and UNC are pretty good indicators of what direction we head.

I don't think Duke's situation is apples to apples. They are recruiting at a high level, and want continuity above all else. Their AD was also interested in letting K hand pick his successor -- which, as stated above, ADJW didn't seem willing to do when JB pitched that option.

We've morphed into a perennial bubble team. Should continuity be the goal, with less qualified candidates to replace a HOFer who is one of the best in the biz with respect to in-game coaching?

We need to do full due diligence and identify / select the best candidate we can. On the list of evaluative criteria that factors into that determination, having ties to the program should be pretty far down on the list.

I don't think Duke's situation is apples to apples. They are recruiting at a high level, and want continuity above all else. Their AD was also interested in letting K hand pick his successor -- which, as stated above, ADJW didn't seem willing to do when JB pitched that option.

We've morphed into a perennial bubble team. Should continuity be the goal, with less qualified candidates to replace a HOFer who is one of the best in the biz with respect to in-game coaching?

We need to do full due diligence and identify / select the best candidate we can. On the list of evaluative criteria that factors into that determination, having ties to the program should be pretty far down on the list.
Yeah but who on the outside list do you really think is viable?

if hop gets canned he better head back to our bench...he will be our coach

Yeah but who on the outside list do you really think is viable?

if hop gets canned he better head back to our bench...he will be our coach

Maybe. Or maybe Hop's window has passed -- we may have dodged a bullet there. I think people have difficulty reconciling their love for Hop and his energy / enthusiasm, and being pragmatic about his multi-year downward trend after the hot start at Washington.

Providing a list today is irrelevant -- we don't know what the landscape will look like when JB hangs 'em up. The field could look completely different in two years [or whenever he steps away] than it looks today, in June 2021.

Put me on record as believing that the only way Red or GMac become HC at Syracuse is if JB over the AD and retires unexpectedly right before the season, thereby preventing the AD from conducting a thorough search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom