What recruiit was hyped/ anticipated as much as NN.) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What recruiit was hyped/ anticipated as much as NN.)

Of the 2000s so far, Greg Oden was labled a future NBA HOF in the 8th grade or so

Yeah, LeBron would be the most hyped, but Oden's hype was ridiculous as well.

Mini Unibrow Tiki Mayben was pretty high up there. He was the number one PG/SG in the country at one time.

Brandon Triche was pretty high up there to ever since going up against Flynn.

Speaking of Lebron when i was in elementary school when we won in 03 and Lebron was all the talk knowing that he and Melo were close

There were kids and teachers talking about how Lebron might play for Cuse with Melo the following year

That's when I first encountered this group of people, way back when I was in high school and didn't actually post, just read updates. I remember it well.
So long ago I remember not bothering with the internet, the P-S actually created a dedicated hotline to call to find out the results of WW's SAT test. Hilarious just thinking about it.

I think the initial question refers to hype from a "where will he sign" standpoint, not "how good will he be". While Carmelo was ultimately a top-recruit, most of the hype came post-commitment, no?

I'll concur with Anderson, Marbury, Noel, Harris, and Hodge as it relates to SU.

Were Sam Perkins and Donyell Marshall mega-stars in HS, or just people we wanted (badly) in hindsight?

Speaking of Lebron when i was in elementary school when we won in 03 and Lebron was all the talk knowing that he and Melo were close

There were kids and teachers talking about how Lebron might play for Cuse with Melo the following year

That was never a possibility Bjorn.

That was never a possibility Bjorn.
Correct. In fact, it was pretty well known that during Melo's freshman year LBJ used to text Melo telling him he should have gone pro somewhat regularly.

Then there was that Andray Blatche guy who came from Henninger High in Syracuse but never stuck around. Hes gotten better in the NBA through the years.

I think it's a little difficult to measure the hype today vs 15-20 years or more ago. The media is so far reaching compared to years back. Today if a recruit looks at a magazine with a Syracuse cover and then reads a Kentucky story it is known within minutes across the USA. Here, BRNCUSE is having a hemorrage when he finds out.
Way back in the day, Wilt was a huge story in the 50s that today would be mega sized. Pearl wasn't exactly a small story either for us. Tough to compare.

Will never forget the WW shenanigans. People need to imagine the current NN hysteria ... in a 28k modem setting. You had to read one update at a time ... loaded one hour at a time.

ha. i remember being in my accounting class when julius hodge committed to nc state.

From a Syracuse standpoint Hdge was first, then Tobias Harris, IMO.

I never really had any doubt Carmelo was coming here.

I think the initial question refers to hype from a "where will he sign" standpoint, not "how good will he be". While Carmelo was ultimately a top-recruit, most of the hype came post-commitment, no?

I'll concur with Anderson, Marbury, Noel, Harris, and Hodge as it relates to SU.

Were Sam Perkins and Donyell Marshall mega-stars in HS, or just people we wanted (badly) in hindsight?
Sam was a mega-star. In high school, he was a man playing among boys. As you know, his nickname is "The Big Smooth" and everything seemed effortless. Some people thought he was coasting, but that was just his style. Did quite well for himself.

I wish I knew more about the recruitment of Ticky Burden and how he ended up in Utah. I was only 12 when he was a senior in HS. There were some great players in the Albany area at that time and most went far away from home (Utah, New Mexico State, Centenary). Interesting that none of the players of his era went to Syracuse.

Here is a You Tube interview with Ticky and he talks a little bit about recruitment but not in full detail.

Not that I remember...but Maryland fans wer extremely butthurt over the ordeal and insist to this day that SU paid him off.

They conveniently forget that we knew about him long before he blew up on the recruiting scene, or that Gary Williams treated recruiting as an optional part of his job.

Certainly no one was more hyped by this board than Paul Harris.

Agreed--he was supposed to be the transcendent superstar who was going to help us overcome that one year gap in the post-Carmelo era.

Certainly no one was more hyped by this board than Paul Harris.
Paul Harris was pre-season Freshman of the Year by Blue Ribbon magazine. It wasn't just this board that was hyping him.

I remember the drama with Carmelo being related to whether he'd pass his ACT. We all knew he was coming here if he went to college but there was some worry over whether he'd qualify. I remember it being an oddly joyful moment on the other board when he passed.