What recruiit was hyped/ anticipated as much as NN.) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What recruiit was hyped/ anticipated as much as NN.)

As I recall, a lot of the Harris hype was tongue in cheek Brasky/Chuck Norris jokes. I don't think anyone actually expected him to be a ten foot tall two ton son of a *****, or that Superman wears Paul Harris pajamas.

I never understood how a two guard with no shot and who was a great man2man defender was going to be as good as many here prognosticated.

And not all of it was just Bill Brasky stuff. The expectations for him were that high.

Epic high profile recruiting battles past for top 20 type players (as I remember them):

Wins
Pearl Washington, Stevie Thompson, Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Winfred Walton, John Wallace, Jason Hart, Carmelo Anthony, Gerry MacNamara,
Donte Green, Jonny Flynn, DC2

Loses
Sam Perkins, Kenny Anderson, Jamal Mashburn, Stephon Marbury, Donyell Marshall, Sebastian Telfair, Julius Hodge, Jeff Green, Tobias Harris.

I can't believe you all have forgotten!! And he is a recent "recruit", albeit walk-on potential!!

None other than our own: BRNCUSEFVRCUSE!!!

George Papadockis, Billy Celuck, Sam Spann, Roger Rollocks, John Karpis

As I recall, a lot of the Harris hype was tongue in cheek Brasky/Chuck Norris jokes. I don't think anyone actually expected him to be a ten foot tall two ton son of a *****, or that Superman wears Paul Harris pajamas.
I actually fully expected Paul to be 10 feet tall. I'll never forgive him for not living up to that expectation.

Epic high profile recruiting battles past for top 20 type players (as I remember them):

Wins
Pearl Washington, Stevie Thompson, Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Winfred Walton, John Wallace, Jason Hart, Carmelo Anthony, Gerry MacNamara,
Donte Green, Jonny Flynn, DC2

Loses
Sam Perkins, Kenny Anderson, Jamal Mashburn, Stephon Marbury, Donyell Marshall, Sebastian Telfair, Julius Hodge, Jeff Green, Tobias Harris.
No way can you put G-Mac as a top 20 type recruit. He flat out wasn't. I don't think Hart was, either.

The post Paul Harris commitment timeframe was fun... "and who is this Jonny Flynn kid tagging along??!?!?!?! I can't believe they offered this crappy little kid a 'ship!!"

I
I think the initial question refers to hype from a "where will he sign" standpoint, not "how good will he be". While Carmelo was ultimately a top-recruit, most of the hype came post-commitment, no?

I'll concur with Anderson, Marbury, Noel, Harris, and Hodge as it relates to SU.

Were Sam Perkins and Donyell Marshall mega-stars in HS, or just people we wanted (badly) in hindsight?
What I remember with Carmelo , us landing him somewhat early in the process, but sweating out the testing.

I wish I knew more about the recruitment of Ticky Burden and how he ended up in Utah. I was only 12 when he was a senior in HS. There were some great players in the Albany area at that time and most went far away from home (Utah, New Mexico State, Centenary). Interesting that none of the players of his era went to Syracuse.

Here is a You Tube interview with Ticky and he talks a little bit about recruitment but not in full detail.

Sam Perkins, need I say more.

No way can you put G-Mac as a top 20 type recruit. He flat out wasn't. I don't think Hart was, either.
Don't remember if they were top 20 (Hart might have been) but they were heated recruiting battles. Duke and ND both wanted G-Mac and UCLA and Cal wanted Hart.

When Pearl announced, Al McGuire had a show just for the announcement.

Loses

Which begs the question, if you could rewrite history and have us land just one of those guys, who would you choose?

Which begs the question, if you could rewrite history and have us land just one of those guys, who would you choose?

Kenny Anderson and we win the NC in 1990 and probably avoid tournament infamy in 1991 as well.

given that there are 20+ McD AAs each year, and Hart was not a burger player, that is a pretty good assumption . . . I think he was probably in the 30 to 50 range, like the vast majority a strong plurality of JB's recruits over the years

Don't remember if they were top 20 (Hart might have been) but they were heated recruiting battles. Duke and ND both wanted G-Mac and UCLA and Cal wanted Hart.
I think you are overstating both cases . . .

ND wanted him, but not Duke. the Blue Devils showed a little early interest, basically kicking the tires, but they ended up taking two McD AA guards in that class . . . SG Reddick and PG Sean Dockery

IIRC, Hart signed early with SU and their was no battle at the time; when Hart had an illness in his family and considered applying for a release from his LOI, UCLA made a late but only because they lost one of their recruits and were desperate to add a PG

I hope I'm not the only one who gets a chuckle out of some of those names. It really help me put this recruiting frenzy in its proper perspective. I'm curious if anyone could estimate how many big name fully live up to expectations?

Perkins. He could have been the missing piece in the early '80 teams, which would have moved them from a Round of 32 team to an elite 8 team at least.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-48

interesting to see who was ranked below him and their nba success

Safe to say they missed on Deron Williams by a little bit.

Elijah Ingram is a name I haven't heard in a while. Who could forget this gem he put up against us:

fg ft rb min m-a m-a o-t a pf tp
E Ingram 34 3-22 0-0 0-2 1 0 8

3-Point Goals: 9-41, .220 ( E Ingram 2-20)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores103/103049/20030218NCAABSYRACUSE--0nr.htm

The post Paul Harris commitment timeframe was fun... "and who is this Jonny Flynn kid tagging along??!?!?!?! I can't believe they offered this crappy little kid a 'ship!!"

Haha, yup. The disbelief over some no-name committing from bumfrick MA, Michael Carter-Williams, was almost as fun.

We settled on Jason Hart after losing out on Shaheen Holloway and a couple of other kids who I can't remember. I thought there were 4 pgs we were after and 3 of them all picked somebody else and then we got Hart.

Matean Cleaves might have been one of the 3.