What the heck is going on. | Syracusefan.com

What the heck is going on.

GoSU96

Living Legend
Albany beats SU in the Dome, smokes UMass, loses to Yale and Drexel.

Hobart beats Colgate.

UVA beats Vermont by only two.

Duke is a disaster.

Looks like it's Maryland and Cornell right now.

Hobart beats Colgate.

Duke is a disaster.

With the growth of LAX at the H.S. level, and the lack thereof at the D1 level, everybody has access to great talent. The era of parity is here.

With the growth of LAX at the H.S. level, and the lack thereof at the D1 level, everybody has access to great talent. The era of parity is here.

I think the growth of D1 is part of it. It's pretty obvious that the traditional programs are stockpiling the number of top players like they used to. Kids have more choices and don't have to go somewhere to split time/sit behind upper classmen.

Hobart beats Colgate.

Duke is a disaster.

It looks more crazy then it really is, a couple of quick points.

Hobart is an improved team this year offensively, there still wildely inconsistent but they can have good games, Colgate is simply not that good, there pretty much Baum and a few complitementary parts, they will be lucky to make the Tourney.

Albany is a great offensive team but theres not much there outside of the Thompsons and defensively they leave a lot to be desired. Myles Thompson has missed the last 2 games with injury and probably will miss a few more (broken hand). If SU played ALbany again, id be pretty confident SU would prevail, its hard to rely soley on three players to carry you game in and game out. When 1 or 2 are off ALbany will struggle its as simple as that.

Duke and UVA both lost a TON to graduation, Duke has been riding high for about 6-7 years now so a down year was inevitable. They should be much better come Mid April with a full year of Danowski coaching them, this is like SU in 07, trying to replace to many seniors at once and a down year ensues.

UVA is in a similar boat, lost pretty much there entire starting offense save for Crockerton. I wouldnt put to much stock into the close Vermont game, UVA is notorious for playing down to lesser teams even in there good years. There still a good team but again there replacing a ton.

Cornell and Maryland are legit, both loaded though I wonder if Maryland will ever get over the hump if they dont win it all this year as SU, UVA, and Princeton look to be re-loaded next year.

Not sure I would call it an era of parity. Yes a team outside of SU, Hopkins, Princenton and UVA finally won the championship for the first time in twenty years last spring but if you look at the D1 level overall the usual suspects are still there. ND, Maryland, and Cornell are pretty much the top 3 and have been around a while, Hopkins is still floating in the top 10 like always and Princeton seems to finally have reloaded and is looking good. People love to talk about teams like Denver, Penn State, Umass, Albany, Ohio State, etc as hot new teams but honestly none of those teams are real threats to win a title and if you look at the recruiting classes coming in for SU, Hop, UVA and Princeton it seems the big boys are ready to re-assert themselves.

Cornell is the team to beat this year IMHO. Circle April 10th in the Dome.

Maryland and Cornell have a couple of keys in their favor this year. Both have very strong senior goalies (kemp at nd will be 1st team aa) and have shown they can win close games. I think Cornell will beat SU by a greater margin than ND, but ND is the better overall team. I would be suprised if MD and ND were not in final four. I really think this is the year for ND.

Just an honest assessment of what is taking place on the field. And easy with that son crap...;)

I think part of it is that there are just but a couple of bonafide stars out there right now. Some might call that parity but I think the top end talent is just down right now.

Not sure Fiore is consistent enough to carry Cornell, if necessary. When he's good they're going to be a tough out, but when he's not I'm not convinced they can out score everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom