What to expect from Paschal Chukwu next season? (Syracuse basketball player forecasts) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What to expect from Paschal Chukwu next season? (Syracuse basketball player forecasts)

Thanks to all that researched and added to the medical hardship understanding (except the comment about "fake news" - a term I am sick of hearing). It appears it is an option he could pursue if both he and the staff want to. Looks like we must wait and see.

Everything I can find about medical hardships is it's 30 percent, not 20 percent of the games. I think the deal with Chukwu is he sat out the transfer year as a redshirt and generally to get a sixth year, you have to have missed most or all of 2 seasons for medical reasons.

You are 100% correct.

However...

Dylan Ennis was in the exact same situation, and he was granted a sixth year.

Rice 11-12
Transferred to Nova, sat 12-13
Nova 13-14
Nova 14-15
Transferred to Oregon (Grad Transfer)
Played only 3 games in 15-16 due to foot injury
Granted sixth year, played 16-17.

You are 100% correct.

However...

Dylan Ennis was in the exact same situation, and he was granted a sixth year.

Rice 11-12
Transferred to Nova, sat 12-13
Nova 13-14
Nova 14-15
Transferred to Oregon (Grad Transfer)
Played only 3 games in 15-16 due to foot injury
Granted sixth year, played 16-17.

That's an excellent point. There have been exceptions. If the desire is there from Chukwu, hopefully we can get a ruling on our side for once.

That's an excellent point. There have been exceptions. If the desire is there from Chukwu, hopefully we can get a ruling on our side for once.

Does Chewy want to be here 6 years?

If he comes back, what does that do for Akok or Cockburn or Wahab?

Leave it to the NCAA to make you use a worksheet to determine when the 1st half of the season is.
It's frustrating because I know the section .. just can't get into the legislative section of the rules.
  • NCAA Bylaw 12.8.4 – Hardship Waiver (I)
[ADD] Ok, found it. Here's the rule according to the 2017-18 NCAA Manual (there are other conditions in the section):

c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf
(page 85)

Last edited:
Does Chewy want to be here 6 years?

If he comes back, what does that do for Akok or Cockburn or Wahab?

I believe that would only make it 5, right?

I believe that would only make it 5, right?

6 years total in college.
Freshman year at Providence
Transfer redshirt year
Eye injury year
Last season
This coming season
Another season after that would be 6 total in college, but correct in that 5 have been at SU.

6 years total in college.
Freshman year at Providence
Transfer redshirt year
Eye injury year
Last season
This coming season
Another season after that would be 6 total in college, but correct in that 5 have been at SU.

I mean, don't get me wrong, for me it feels like he's already played way more than 6 years at SU, but you know how I feel...

Yes, I let the discipline go.

It's frustrating because I know the section .. just can't get into the legislative section of the rules.
  • NCAA Bylaw 12.8.4 – Hardship Waiver (I)
[ADD] Ok, found it. Here's the rule according to the 2017-18 NCAA Manual (there are other conditions in the section):

c) In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf
(page 85)

Same rule on the football side.

tommy-boy-tommy-boy-33341523-250-184.gif

If Chewy played 2 more years how good might he become? Offence? defense?

If Chewy played 2 more years how good might he become? Offence? defense?

I can't tell if these are real questions or not. Where is that sarcasm font? Have we universally agreed to the Courier New as the replacement for Comic Sans?

He'd certainly be better than any freshman we are likely to bring in would be in year 1. Our lanky centers generally are not even close to being ready to make a solid contribution as freshman. Would love to have him back along with a JR Sidibe and then a freshman learning the zone and being ready to step up as a Soph.

He'd certainly be better than any freshman we are likely to bring in would be in year 1. Our lanky centers generally are not even close to being ready to make a solid contribution as freshman. Would love to have him back along with a JR Sidibe and then a freshman learning the zone and being ready to step up as a Soph.

6 years of college ought to do that for you.

6 years of college ought to do that for you.

Certainly and I give 0 poops who is in the lineup as long as the end result is Syracuse wins more games.

Certainly and I give 0 poops who is in the lineup as long as the end result is Syracuse wins more games.

I've seen this movie before. I'm all for who's next. Sid is the future.

I've seen this movie before. I'm all for who's next. Sid is the future.
I think you sell Chukwu a bit short [above], but I do agree that Sidibe offers a lot more as a scorer / rebounder. Needs to remain healthy this season, but if he does there is little doubt in my mind that he'll split time and maybe even garner more minutes than Paschal.

This could be a first world luxury problem "situation" where the guy we bring off the bench is better than the starter [shades of Dion / CJ in 2012], much to the chagrin of the opposition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom