What to expect if Frost is the guy. | Syracusefan.com

What to expect if Frost is the guy.

Crusty

Living Legend
Scott Frost will run an offense similar, if not identical to Oregon's. I am sure he will, over time, put his own stamp on it, but for openers expect to see the following:
  • spread zone read offense
  • no huddle
  • up tempo but not frenetic pace (about 70-75 plays per game)
  • very aggressive but balanced play calling
  • THE BUBBLE SCREEN WILL RETURN AS A STAPLE OF THE OFFENSE!
The Oregon offense scores 40+ points per game with a balanced attack of approximately 55%-45% run-pass ratio. They have a very good passing offense and a great running one. The Ducks are number one in rushing in the PAC 12 by over 50 years per game (7th in passing).

The Ducks gain nearly 5.7 yards per rushing attempt and 9+ yards per passing attempt giving them an overall average per play of 6.5+.

The offense is built around the Inside and Outside Zone Reads, which are run to perfection. They don’t try to fool you with these plays, but they will react to the defense overplaying them. As a matter of fact, they are counting on it. The Ducks stretch you out by lining up with about a yard gap separating linemen and then run the Zone Reads at you to see how you will react. Once they have you going where they want you, they will eat you alive with play action and double options to the opposite side of the ZR plunge.

It would seem that Dungey and the incoming QBs will fit the new system as it is imperative to throw well on the run as well as being a threat in the ZR. Fredericks should be an ideal RB (Oregon calls them tailbacks).

Oregon’s leading pass catchers always include their RB’s so maybe our HB’s will fit nicely as well. Oregon's formation for the Outside Zone Read has the RB lined up even with, but quite a distance from, the QB (more like a HB in a wing postion). Oregon's TEs combined catch about 40-45 passes per season, so they need to have good hands as well good blockers.

Lineman, as with any spread offense, need to be agile and mobile.

This offense has some similarity to Hackett's 2012 offense. It does not appear to be as radical a change as I originally feared it might be.

If it really is going to be Scott Frost, this could get fun in a hurry.

Last edited:
Scott Frost will run an offense similar, if not identical to Oregon's. I am sure he will, over time, put his own stamp on it, but for openers expect to see the following:
  • no huddle
  • THE BUBBLE SCREEN WILL RETURN AS A STALE OF THE OFFENSE!
The Oregon offense scores 40+ points per game with a balanced attack of approximately 55%-45% run-pass ratio. They have a very good passing offense and a great running one. The Ducks are number one in rushing in the PAC 12 by over 50 years per game (7th in passing).

The Ducks gain nearly 5.7 yards per rushing attempt and 9+ yards per passing attempt giving them an overall average per play of 6.5+.

The offense is built around the Inside and Outside Zone Reads, which are run to perfection. They don’t try to fool you with these plays, but they will react to the defense overplaying them. As a matter of fact, they are counting on it. The Ducks stretch you out by lining up with about a yard gap separating linemen and then run the Zone Reads at you to see how you will react. Once they have you going where they want you, they will eat you alive with play action and double options to the opposite side of the ZR plunge.

It would seem that Dungey and the incoming QBs will fit the new system as it is imperative to throw well on the run as well as being a threat in the ZR. Fredericks should be an ideal RB (Oregon calls then tailbacks).

Oregon’s leading pass catchers always include their RB’s so maybe our HB’s will fit nicely as well. Oregon's formation for the Outside Zone Read has the RB lined up even with, but quite a distance from, the QB (more like a HB in a wing postion). Oregon's TEs combined catch about 40-45 passes per season, so they need to have good hands as well good blockers.

This offense has some similarity to Hackett's 2012 offense. It does not appear to be as radical a change as I originally feared it might be.

Solid breakdown Crusty.

The big thing I like when reading up on Frost is that in multiple articles they praise him for his ability to tune his offense around his QB's

Can we expect an >.500 record and 2 bowl games in the next three seasons?
I think a lot depends on Dungey's health and development and the quality of our defense. I certainly think we will make a big improvement in offense. Whether or not the defense will carry its weight is hard to tell at this point. Sophomores in the secondary is not much better than freshmen.

If we are playing all home games away we can write off next year for a bowl. after that I thing we will be above .500 and on an upward track.

That's not the air it out offense some are hoping for. He's a run first guy that looks for a balanced offense. I'm fine with that because I want a balanced offense also.

Last edited:
That's not the air it out offense some are hoping for. He's a run first guy that looks for a balanced offense. I'm find with that because I want a balanced offense also.

True, but I am fine with it. The Oregon passing attack is no slouch anyway. If, as i suspect, it has the feel of Hackett 2012 nobody should complain. I won't.

It would be great to develop an identity as the program to go to for exciting offense in the North East. It's such a low hanging fruit I'm surprised that no one else has taken to it.

You would think that Maryland who wants to be Oregon East with UA would really grasp onto that. We will take the offense, they can have the goofy uniforms.

Interested in your thoughts.
I think this offense, which is very similar to what we run, is the easiest and most effective offense to run. Specifically at the collegiate or possibly high school level.

It's easier to attack exactly what you want to attack and create mismatches in space. When a defense thinks they have your tendencies figured out, there's a wrinkle or alternative to keep them honest or to fool them and take a shot.

I don't want to make it sound like its a simple offense, it's not, quite the contrary actually. But it's easy to install and build off your base building blocks.

You can run this offense out of a ton of formations and personnel groupings. It makes you very diverse and difficult to gameplan for. From the outside looking in it would look like you have a massive playbook, but, really it's just your core offense out of a multitude of looks.

Oh, and just one little pet peeve, I hate calling it a "spread" zone read. ;) Just call it a zone read. Spread's used more to describe the formation as opposed to an offense. I Don't mean to be a bag.

Last edited:
From Oregon fans I expect him to go conservative way too early in the game and drive us mad. But that means we'd have a lead which is fine with me.

I think this offense, which is very similar to what we run, is the easiest and most effective offense to run. Specifically at the collegiate or possibly high school level.

It's easier to attack exactly what you want to attack and create mismatches in space. When a defense thinks they have your tendencies figured out, there's a wrinkle or alternative to keep them honest or to fool them and take a shot.

I don't want to make it sound like its a simple offense, it's not, quite the contrary actually. But it's easy to install and build off your base building blocks.

You can run this offense out of a ton of formations and personnel groupings. It makes you very diverse and difficult to gameplan for. From the outside looking in it would look like you have a massive playbook, but, really it's just your core offense out of a multitude of looks.

Oh, and just one little pet peeve, I hate calling it a "spread" zone read. ;) Just call it a zone read. Spread's used more to describe the formation as opposed to an offense.
LOL OK so I will call it the OZone Read (after Oregon and Orange!).

Is his offense similar to the one Rex Culpepper ran at Plant?

I think a lot depends on Dungey's health and development and the quality of our defense. I certainly think we will make a big improvement in offense. Whether or not the defense will carry its weight is hard to tell at this point. Sophomores in the secondary is not much better than freshmen.

If we are playing all home games away we can write off next year for a bowl. after that I thing we will be above .500 and on an upward track.
I am very worried about the defense.
DE will be a struggle if Thompson leaves. Who know what will happen with Luke. The two freshmen will be out at least the first few games.
Hodge is too slow to play outside and not better then Franklin, he needs to go the bench. Bennett was good before he got hurt, but he went down in multiple games. Bennett is very slender and I have injury concerns about his ability to stay healthy.
Safety is a mess. Cords is average and he is by far our best DB. The young corners are better then Winfield and Morgan but they have a long way to go.

Who ever gets the job better find a way to score 35 to 40 points a game very quickly.

If his leading receivers always include RBs, it makes sense that Moe Neal was the first person called by Coyle. Not saying it's far enough along to where Frost asked Coyle to do that, of course. But Coyle might have recognized that Moe is ideal for that sort of role on his own.

I am very worried about the defense.
DE will be a struggle if Thompson leaves. Who know what will happen with Luke. The two freshmen will be out at least the first few games.
Hodge is too slow to play outside and not better then Franklin, he needs to go the bench. Bennett was good before he got hurt, but he went down in multiple games. Bennett is very slender and I have injury concerns about his ability to stay healthy.
Safety is a mess. Cords is average and he is by far our best DB. The young corners are better then Winfield and Morgan but they have a long way to go.

Who ever gets the job better find a way to score 35 to 40 points a game very quickly.

If scheme doesn't change the secondary might get torched even more than this year... as we are up two to three touchdowns from the first quarter on and opposing teams need to play catch up :cool:

I really hope he brings some of that two point conversion Oregon swagger here.

PEDAL TO THE METAL ALL GAME LONG

That's not the air it out offense some are hoping for. He's a run first guy that looks for a balanced offense. I'm fine with that because I want a balanced offense also.
  • no huddle
  • THE BUBBLE SCREEN WILL RETURN AS A STAPLE OF THE OFFENSE!

It would seem that Dungey and the incoming QBs will fit the new system as it is imperative to throw well on the run as well as being a threat in the ZR. Fredericks should be an ideal RB (Oregon calls them tailbacks).

The return of the Bubble Screen and zero recruiting ties. I can hardly contain myself.God, I hope he has plans for another head job.

The return of the Bubble Screen and zero recruiting ties. I can hardly contain myself.God, I hope he has plans for another head job.
Zero recruiting ties, so he has NO recruiting ties??? I'll wait for your I mean no NE recruiting ties, I'll be back in the 90's.

I'm a believer in a balanced offense. However, how does a western staff recruit the east to get the players to score 40+ per game?

And what about defense?

Zero recruiting ties, so he has NO recruiting ties??? I'll wait for your I mean no NE recruiting ties, I'll be back in the 90's.
I did mean NE. Sorry.

Fast Paced run first zone read offense. By season 2 I expect over 30 points per game. Fans in the northeast will struggle with it at first until it starts to click. A lot of early fast 3 and outs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom