What to expect | Syracusefan.com

What to expect

CuseMan4

Starter
To start, these were 2 exhibition games against teams we should have crushed and we did what we were suppose to do. That being said there were multiple teams that struggled against D2 teams this year in exhibition games including Duke. Now Duke will still be a force this year but it should be noted they could have some early season struggles while the players/coaches figure out roles and not chemistry.

Moving on, going off what I just said and it’s pretty obvious the Italy trip has helped us. Just watching some other exhibitions a lot of teams are trying to gel/figure out chemistry on the court, etc...it seems the Italy trip helped our players figure each other out and helped some players understand their roles and teammates strengths/weaknesses.

I would not be shocked if we beat Virginia our first game. Virginia’s whole team is basically being thrown into new roles this year, very inexperienced and it’s good to get them early as I think they will struggle early while finding themselves. By the end of the season I expect them to be the typical Virginia and be a top 5 seed come tourney time. This Cuse team seems to play better as a team, we have more shooters, roles seem to be more defined, and we are able to space out teams with our shooters. Offense should not be a problem this year and we are almost always solid on defense and always get better on that end as the season progresses. I think this team is vastly underrated and Boeheim does his best work when team expectations are low, exactly the case this season.

I think Hughes will Star in the leader role and main scorer, he just has “it”. He can make the difficult shots, he seems to have improvise his passing ability and has been a pleasant surprise so far with the ball in his hands. Buddy seems to be carrying over the momentum he finished with from last season. JG3 is being JG3, I don’t care who you are it’s hard to defend a player when he can literally knock down a shot from anywhere once he passes half court. He may not be the most athletic kid but neither is Trae Young, Steph Curry, Jimmer, GMAC, etc...not saying he is going to have the career those guys had/have but it’s worth noting you don’t need size/elite athleticism to be an elite shooter and be a great player. I think Quincy will be a stud by year’s end and Marek will be the glue guy he’s always been here which needed for great teams. Overall I think this team can be really damn good. The Virginia game and the early season tourney will tell a lot in my opinion to see what to expect this season.

Our biggest question marks are as expected, Carey and the point guard position and our big men. Carey just needs to be serviceable which I think he will be and I think by the end of the year our center position will be fine. There is something about Edwards that makes me believe he’s gonna be a first rounder by the time he leaves here, not saying this year but in a couple years. Prediction and this may surprise some people, I think we end up as a top 6 seed come tourney time, beat Virginia in our first game and only have 1-2 losses come full on ACC play. GO CUSE

JG3 will crush all that stand in his way, like Godzilla. He will toss Coach K and Roy around like they are rag dolls after he is finished breathing fire onto their players. We don't play U Conn, but he will stomp all the way to Storrs and break Hurley's scrawny neck like a breadstick. This, my friends, is what will happen

Don't forget, we lost four starters and will be in "learning" mode like the other teams you mentioned. I am glad to be playing Virginia right off rather than in February. I have posted a few times that I think we are a tourney team, but I also think a 5 or 6 seed might be a stretch. Reaching that 5/6 plateau would thrill me to no end. Main thing is I believe this team will be a pleasure to watch which has been sorely lacking in recent years. Make SU basketball "FUN" again.

Questionable pg play and questionable big man play usually dont result in very good seasons. We need at least one of these to not be an issue to have a successful season. Was really hoping for JC to make a leap, we need someone to be able to beat his man off the bounce consistently. We really need someone to emerge to be able to do this so that they can kick it out to all our shooters. Hope someone can develop this ability over the course of the season

Don't forget, we lost four starters and will be in "learning" mode like the other teams you mentioned. I am glad to be playing Virginia right off rather than in February. I have posted a few times that I think we are a tourney team, but I also think a 5 or 6 seed might be a stretch. Reaching that 5/6 plateau would thrill me to no end. Main thing is I believe this team will be a pleasure to watch which has been sorely lacking in recent years. Make SU basketball "FUN" again.

We have a lot more games under our belt thanks to Italy.

yep, and like other players both fball and b-ball the bar is being set so high, that if it’s not reached it could get ugly. We see it all the time.
See Thomas Devito

Questionable pg play and questionable big man play usually dont result in very good seasons. We need at least one of these to not be an issue to have a successful season. Was really hoping for JC to make a leap, we need someone to be able to beat his man off the bounce consistently. We really need someone to emerge to be able to do this so that they can kick it out to all our shooters. Hope someone can develop this ability over the course of the season

I think inside play will be a bigger issue than PG. I’m happy with all 3 that have played it. And I saw Goodine beat his man off the dribble but it was to get his own shots and not kick.

I think inside play will be a bigger issue than PG. I’m happy with all 3 that have played it. And I saw Goodine beat his man off the dribble but it was to get his own shots and not kick.

I can understand that, but man play is very important and I'm worried about that aspect of the game as well. I'd very much like to see Goodine do that against ACC competition as opposed to the Daemons and Carlton's of the world. I like his potential the most though out of all the guards

JG3 will crush all that stand in his way, like Godzilla. He will toss Coach K and Roy around like they are rag dolls after he is finished breathing fire onto their players. We don't play U Conn, but he will stomp all the way to Storrs and break Hurley's scrawny neck like a breadstick. This, my friends, is what will happen
Nice.

To start, these were 2 exhibition games against teams we should have crushed and we did what we were suppose to do. That being said there were multiple teams that struggled against D2 teams this year in exhibition games including Duke. Now Duke will still be a force this year but it should be noted they could have some early season struggles while the players/coaches figure out roles and not chemistry.

Moving on, going off what I just said and it’s pretty obvious the Italy trip has helped us. Just watching some other exhibitions a lot of teams are trying to gel/figure out chemistry on the court, etc...it seems the Italy trip helped our players figure each other out and helped some players understand their roles and teammates strengths/weaknesses.

I would not be shocked if we beat Virginia our first game. Virginia’s whole team is basically being thrown into new roles this year, very inexperienced and it’s good to get them early as I think they will struggle early while finding themselves. By the end of the season I expect them to be the typical Virginia and be a top 5 seed come tourney time. This Cuse team seems to play better as a team, we have more shooters, roles seem to be more defined, and we are able to space out teams with our shooters. Offense should not be a problem this year and we are almost always solid on defense and always get better on that end as the season progresses. I think this team is vastly underrated and Boeheim does his best work when team expectations are low, exactly the case this season.

I think Hughes will Star in the leader role and main scorer, he just has “it”. He can make the difficult shots, he seems to have improvise his passing ability and has been a pleasant surprise so far with the ball in his hands. Buddy seems to be carrying over the momentum he finished with from last season. JG3 is being JG3, I don’t care who you are it’s hard to defend a player when he can literally knock down a shot from anywhere once he passes half court. He may not be the most athletic kid but neither is Trae Young, Steph Curry, Jimmer, GMAC, etc...not saying he is going to have the career those guys had/have but it’s worth noting you don’t need size/elite athleticism to be an elite shooter and be a great player. I think Quincy will be a stud by year’s end and Marek will be the glue guy he’s always been here which needed for great teams. Overall I think this team can be really damn good. The Virginia game and the early season tourney will tell a lot in my opinion to see what to expect this season.

Our biggest question marks are as expected, Carey and the point guard position and our big men. Carey just needs to be serviceable which I think he will be and I think by the end of the year our center position will be fine. There is something about Edwards that makes me believe he’s gonna be a first rounder by the time he leaves here, not saying this year but in a couple years. Prediction and this may surprise some people, I think we end up as a top 6 seed come tourney time, beat Virginia in our first game and only have 1-2 losses come full on ACC play. GO CUSE
Great post. I completely agree that we have a good shot at knocking off Virginia. As you said, they lost a lot of firepower from last year. And while they should be very good by later in the season, I’d expect them to have growing pains as guys figure out their roles. This is a huge opportunity for us to score a big win at home, especially with the Italy trip and additional practices giving us a head start on some of our more inexperienced opponents.

I agree that we have a real chance to surprise people this season. Hughes is gonna be a scoring beast and we have some great shooters around him.

I lied. Just watched the condensed version and twice Goodine took his man off the dribble, penetrated and kicked it out. Once to Hughes and once to Girard.

btw, watching that condensed version, that was a sweet move in the corner and drive by Goodine. And Hughes was making 3s from 2 feet deeper than the new line.

Good Post. I do think the center position is the biggest concern but I also agree on Edwards. He has a really strong set of fundamentals to build off of and you can't teach 7 ft. Other than the guard scoring on him and his somewhat comical attempt turning into the teeth of the defense to attack, he looked good to me for a freshman. I thought he was at least as good as Marek at the 5 defensively.

The wealth of competition at guard is big. Jalen just needs to help not be perfect.

Hughes absolutely looks completely ready for the moment as the leader. His mid range game and ability to handle the rock and being active on the boards and defense is huge.

I agree on UVA. I think they will be a really good team in March but are as ripe as they will ever be in a packed dome in November ( seems weird to say that) to be knocked off. We don't have an easy non conference slate after that even so would be huge to get that one for a boost. Bucknell and Colgate and Seattle will all be decent opponents vs cannon fodder. Looking again, we really have a heavy lift this non conference overall.

Jg3’s skyrocketing to demigod status at unprecedented rates on this board
Don’t worry he’s only expected to be a backup, change-of-pace guy. He won’t be the focus of scouting reports. ;)

Hughes was making 3s from 2 feet deeper than the new line.
The new line is hard to see on tv. I thought both the men and women had the same fiba distance.

Great post. I completely agree that we have a good shot at knocking off Virginia. As you said, they lost a lot of firepower from last year. And while they should be very good by later in the season, I’d expect them to have growing pains as guys figure out their roles. This is a huge opportunity for us to score a big win at home, especially with the Italy trip and additional practices giving us a head start on some of our more inexperienced opponents.

I agree that we have a real chance to surprise people this season. Hughes is gonna be a scoring beast and we have some great shooters around him.
There will be growing pains to start with. However the defense will be elite out of the gate. The growing pains will mostly involve the offense gelling as the season goes on and it may take some time. There is plenty of new offensive talent but much of it is young. UVA even with a mediocre offense and and an elite defense can beat most teams. To me the key to a Cuse win is to be able to knock down the 3 point shot. You have to do that. If if becomes an inside game UVA wins hands down. That is the strength of their team this year. Rim protectors galore combined with excellent offensive talent in the interior. Cuse must be efficient from 3 point land.

There will be growing pains to start with. However the defense will be elite out of the gate. The growing pains will mostly involve the offense gelling as the season goes on and it may take some time. There is plenty of new offensive talent but much of it is young. UVA even with a mediocre offense and and an elite defense can beat most teams. To me the key to a Cuse win is to be able to knock down the 3 point shot. You have to do that. If if becomes an inside game UVA wins hands down. That is the strength of their team this year. Rim protectors galore combined with excellent offensive talent in the interior. Cuse must be efficient from 3 point land.

Right now that is our strength. I think you will be good defensively as always. It's hard to be elite out of the gate though . Our defense like UVA's is usually among the best in the nation by year end. With that said, it's rarely ever elite with major changes year over year. Not knocking the Hoos just saying like us, your defense probably isn't going to be elite from day 1. Obviously guys have played it, but as a specific unit for several games? Not yet. Looking forward to it. Y'all are certainly stronger inside. Like us though when your best big man is out- I'm sure there are question marks.

I'm expecting the defenses to give up more points than they will later in the season. I also expect the 70 pct from 3 and record breaking triples to be in JB's mind to make sure it's not a repeat of last year lol. Should be fun!!!

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't miss a 3 point shot all year. We're THAT good. In fact, maybe the only chance to beat us will be to foul us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom