What to make of the Benny minutes. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What to make of the Benny minutes.

The bottom line with Benny is that he just doesn’t play very hard. If he’s not making shots he’s totally disengaged. He’s as soft as butter and won’t mix it up. He only goes to the offensive boards if someone is constantly screaming at him to go get the rebound. His energy level picks up when he scores, but that makes him useless if he’s not making shots. This is nothing personal against the kid, but this is his third year and he still plays the same. I would love to see a light come on, but I’m not holding my breath. Bottom line is you can’t count on him. A coach has a hard time playing someone when you never know what you’re going to get. JB gave him chance after chance and we only got glimpses of a real player. Maybe he’s just out of sink, but I doubt it.

Him settling for jump shots totally plays into our offense just coming to a halt.

And I want it to work, but I go back to what I keep saying: if he’s trying to be KD (versus a Scottie Barnes or whatever), he’s toast.

48 attempts over 30+ games doesn't qualify anyone to be a stretch shooter. There's not enough of a sample size for it. In this era especially, that's low volume.
You greatly decrease your credibility as a poster when you say something incorrect, then are corrected with actual data, and then insist you are still right because facts don't matter.

Post better.

that is true, he transferred so he could go to Oregon and jack 3s. Boeheim wouldn't let him do that here, JB told him he was an inside player, so Q said goodbye and now in his 5th year in college
You’re talking about two different things, yes he left to be able to put up shots so he could get to the next level, but he never once put himself while he was here, he always did the grunt work and did what was asked, him being compared to Benny is sad and just not true in any capacity. Q could out rebound Taylor, Bell and Benny combined.

Obviously Quincy would have been a much better college player if he followed JB’s plan, but was he wrong to think his best chance of actually sticking in the modern NBA at his 6’7 size would be as a wing who could shoot and slash? He gambled and it didn’t pan out, but he’s 24 now and I don’t know how long the NBA would give him to do more than rebound and dunk.

n
You’re talking about two different things, yes he left to be able to put up shots so he could get to the next level, but he never once put himself while he was here, he always did the grunt work and did what was asked, him being compared to Benny is sad and just not true in any capacity. Q could out rebound Taylor, Bell and Benny combined.
never said he didn’t do what was asked of him, I agree with with you, he was rugged inside here, but I don't think JB would allow him latitude to park himself at 3-point line and hoist 3s, I think that was the crux of him leaving, Dana Altman probably told him he could do that.

Bring your lunch pail to the blocks like Quincy did, take 3’s organically or it’s never happening

He needs to do the dirty work and play with constant energy. He should be down low. Battling for boards. Getting put backs and running in transition. The Benny of the last five games last year figured that out. He was back to the old version today.
I literally can’t remember ever seeing him fly down the court to get a dunk. Half speed seems to be his nor.

n

never said he didn’t do what was asked of him, I agree with with you, he was rugged inside here, but I don't think JB would allow him latitude to park himself at 3-point line and hoist 3s, I think that was the crux of him leaving, Dana Altman probably told him he could do that.
That’s my point, he was a dawg, Benny never had been and never will be one. They’re not comparable players.

I’ll start by saying I really hope Benny figures things out and gives us productive minutes this year, but I wouldn’t bet a lot of money on it happening. When I watch him play, I see a guy with a lot of athletic tools, but absolutely zero feel for the game.

His dribble, pull-up jump shot from 21 feet away (a long 2, the worst shot in the game!) with 5:22 to play in the 1st half - with 23 seconds left on the shot clock! - in the midst of an awful set of possessions where SU was down 7 and missing jump shot after jump shot (with Benny himself having just missed a 3-pt attempt a minute earlier at the 6:39 mark) will almost certainly be in my year-end ‘Top 5 Worst Shots of the 2023-24 Season’.

Do not mean to be argumentative and understand Benny’s history and recent lack of practice time, but I have to say this: (and looking for an answer from someone in the know)

IS THERE ANYWAY THAT SOMEONE CAN CONVINCE BENNY TO BE AN INSIDE PLAYER?

He had a good 3 pt shooting percentage last year but….. He has skills to lend to play/shoot inside 10-16 feet. Let other team members shoot from 3 pt area. Concentrate on scoring and rebounding closer to the basket. He has obvious skills but if he does not try fill in obvious team deficiencies where he can then I foresee a very trying frustrating season again for him.

Same build and same hops. Ball handling skills similar. He literally just played hard crashed the boards and dunked the ball. I will say Grants awareness on the floor is a gift and generally can't be taught to get to that level but still there is no reason Benny isn't a great rebounder.

Him settling for jump shots totally plays into our offense just coming to a halt.

And I want it to work, but I go back to what I keep saying: if he’s trying to be KD (versus a Scottie Barnes or whatever), he’s toast.
Benny has mentioned his affinity for Paul George many times, wears 13 because of him. That is who he models his play style after. When you watch him play, it's clear as day that's what he's trying to do.

Benny has mentioned his affinity for Paul George many times, wears 13 because of him. That is who he models his play style after. When you watch him play, it's clear as day that's what he's trying to do.

Paul George can rebound and pass and be a lead ball handler.

I get wanting to be like PG. wanting and being are two totally different things, all due respect. And PG, at his apex, could drive to the rim and finish. All due respect to Benny.

I don't see the Uber athleticism that some do. He looked athletic for us but some are making it out like he's Andre Jackson. I'm missing the foot speed, the quickness and ferocious jumping ability. He's a good athlete. Every team has one, he's not off the charts.

I Hope Please GIF
I don't see the Uber athleticism that some do. He looked athletic for us but some are making it out like he's Andre Jackson. I'm missing the foot speed, the quickness and ferocious jumping ability. He's a good athlete. Every team has one, he's not off the charts.
Williams is a tremendous run and jump athlete. He doesn't seem to move sideways very quickly. He doesn't seem very "smooth" in his movements.

Athleticism comes in different packages. If you're measuring vertical leaping ability, Williams is your man.

Some of his looking less athletic than he is may be mental, as he seems to think too much out there. The hope is he'll be more instinctive workout JB barking at him every single time out, but after one game, he hasn't shown that.

Hopefully against Tennessee, he'll get fired up and stop thinking when they're trying to bully him. He had his best game his freshman year against Duke and their all lottery pick front line. Hopefully that same thing translates against Tennessee.

Just hoping at this point.

Agree, while he hasn't been the type to make a play happen without the ball in his hands, he's a multi-positioned athlete like Copeland and Cuffe. He does use his full height at times, but needs to learn to make physical play an advantage half the time on D by midseason.

We havent run a lot of high post, and want to run/shoot high %s this year, transition to man defense; and above all outscore. Saying he's a jr won't make any of that easier, but patience will.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom