What Will It Take... | Syracusefan.com

What Will It Take...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
...for the JB apologists to admit that the game has passed him by?

15' - sanctions, but likely NIT
16' - miracle Final Four run because Sparty got upset
17' - NIT
18' - NIT

a .500 record in ACC play since 14-15’.
0 for the ACC tournament.
Unable to run any semblance of an offense.
Makes zero in-game adjustments on offense or defense.
Hasn't recruited a true PG since Kaleb.

I don't want to hear this "sanctions did their job nonsense."

What will it take for folks to acknowledge that he's not getting it done anymore? I love Jim Boeheim for what he's done for Syracuse basketball. Hell, he MADE Syracuse basketball. But one person is not bigger than the overall program. Just as a point of reference, Wooden retired at 65. Dean Smith was 66. Knight was 68 when he retired. Boeheim has indicated he wants to coach another 4 years, until Buddy's done, so he'll be 77 at that point. That's insane. I can't see any way he'll last 4 more years.

He's only hanging on to coach his son. That's incredibly selfish considering he's dragging down this program. What's worked for him in the past isn't working now and he's too old to make wide, sweeping necessary changes to adapt with the times.

How low does this program have to fall before people feel that it's time?

Last edited:
sadly i agree. hard to watch on both offense and defense. nothing changes. same sets, same defense, same mediocrity.

That's my biggest beef. He's unwilling to switch it up. Listening to ESPN radio today, the afternoon guys were saying that JB was asked if there's anything different than can be done in practice when the team is going through a shooting slump like it has been in the last few games.

JB's response: "Nope. Not really."

I get it. We're a bad shooting team. We're an awful offensive team with only three guys who have some capacity to put the ball in the hole on a somewhat consistent basis. But hell Jimmy, run some plays to get Moyer and Dolezaj in spaces on the floor where they CAN make baskets. That's on you.

...for the JB apologists to admit that the game has passed him by?

15' - sanctions, but likely NIT
16' - miracle Final Four run because Sparty got upset
17' - NIT
18' - NIT

a .500 record in ACC play since joining.
0 for the ACC tournament.
Unable to run any semblance of an offense.
Makes zero in-game adjustments on offense or defense.
Hasn't recruited a true PG since Kaleb.

I don't want to hear this "sanctions did their job nonsense."

He's only hanging on to coach his son. That's incredibly selfish considering he's dragging down this program. What's worked for him in the past isn't working now and he's too old to make wide, sweeping necessary changes to adapt with the times.

What will it take for folks to acknowledge that he's not getting it done anymore? I love Jim Boeheim for what he's done for Syracuse basketball. Hell, he MADE Syracuse basketball. But one person is not bigger than the overall program.

How low does this program have to fall before people feel that it's time?
They’ll tell you to reserve judgment until next year, and maybe we give him one more chance to see what he can do with an infusion of talent... but the real question is — what is the minimum bar for next season?

Me personally? Anything less than a top 4 ACC finish and sweet 16 and JB should retire. I’ll puke if everyone starts lowering the bar and celebrate just being off the bubble.

3 NITs in the last 4 years should be met with very little patience at this point.

Last edited:
All Im saying...next year better be vintage Syracuse basketball

But it won't be. We'll go like 25-7 and flame out in the second round of the NCAA tournament when we face a hot shooting team. I'm with TinyManInside on this one. Next season is not going to be vintage 2012 34-3 dominance.

Understand the frustration, and agree that he's not much of a coach on offense.

But in the bigger picture, he's gotten more out of this team than most of us expected in the preseason.

They're just not very good. They've overachieved, and the coaching staff deserves credit for that.

I don't want to be that guy but with practically our entire 2013 recruiting class leaving before 2015 besides Roberson, Kaleb/CMac leaving, etc. Boeheim had some excuses with lack of depth after 2014. With the talent and depth we have next year, Boeheim has a short leash in my book.

Running more plays for Moyer is not the answer.

You're telling me that getting 8-9 ppg out of Moyer on a consistent basis wouldn't help the overall offense and take pressure off Frank and Tyus? Come on.

But it won't be. We'll go like 25-7 and flame out in the second round of the NCAA tournament when we face a hot shooting team. I'm with TinyManInside on this one. Next season is not going to be vintage 2012 34-3 dominance.
It’ll feel like vintage to those who just compare to recent history. That’s my fear.

Understand the frustration, and agree that he's not much of a coach on offense.

But in the bigger picture, he's gotten more out of this team than most of us expected in the preseason.

They're just not very good. They've overachieved, and the coaching staff deserves credit for that.
no this is completely wrong. this isn't the pros where the coaches are separate from the GMs and roster decisions. this is college and the staff is responsible for the roster. and no they haven't overachieved.

Give me a break. This team sucks. Mostly because of sanctions. They’ve done better than most thought they would.

And we don’t get to just dismiss final four runs. That’s ridiculous.

We should be good next year.

Thoughts on last year?

To answer seriously... it’ll take having a bad season next year. The great thing about sports is that conclusions tend to reveal themselves in time. This year was never going to be great, for a host of legitimate reasons. Those reasons are largely gone next year. Hopefully we do well. If not, it’ll be fair to wonder if it’s time to move on.

Definitely not, just an example though.

Example of what? People just rant and throw stuff out there. I get it. I’ve done it.

Reality is we’ve got 3 guys that can put the ball in the hole at all, and if one of them is off we’re pretty much screwed. And there’s not a coach in America who could do much with that. Freeing up Moyer and Marek for easy buckets...umm, that’s just not realistic.

Last edited:
Example of what? People just rant and throw stuff out there. I get it. I’ve done it.

Reality is we’ve got 3 guys that can put the ball in the hole at all, and if one of them is off we’re pretty much screwed. And there’s not a coach in America who could do much of that. Freeing up Moyer and Marek for easy buckets...umm, that’s just not realistic.

But think about that. Why is that the case?

Can someone round up all the sanctions apologists and give them a room at the Sheraton? It’s nauseating.

Can someone round up all the whiners who offer nothing but generic BS as to what we “should” be doing(as if they really know, lol) and ship them to the Syracuse.com comments sections?

To answer seriously... it’ll take having a bad season next year. The great thing about sports is that conclusions tend to reveal themselves in time. This year was never going to be great, for a host of legitimate reasons. Those reasons are largely gone next year. Hopefully we do well. If not, it’ll be fair to wonder if it’s time to move on.
This is, and I'd bet will end up being, the best post of this stupid thread.

no this is completely wrong. this isn't the pros where the coaches are separate from the GMs and roster decisions. this is college and the staff is responsible for the roster. and no they haven't overachieved.

That's a different subject. And if you want to open it, you have to acknowledge that we have a nice class coming in next year.

It should be a significantly better team.

I don't want to like your post, but can't disagree with any of it.

But he will be back and the demands will be high. At January 1st next year, I want the tourney talk to be what do we need to do to get the Hartford Pod (as a top 4 seed).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom