What will this year's team look like? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What will this year's team look like?

At least we won't play zone with Carlos.

Just on every underneath out of bounds, not once in a while as a surprise, not a percentage of the time, but every single time so the other team can be sure to have prepared plays for it. :(

The reason for JJ’s numbers is not that he had to defend multiple guys in transition several times per game. That is just not true. I don’t want to get too deep into another Judah thing but the lengths people go to pin last years problems on him is literally insane. I’m not saying that never ever happened, but the notion that it happened so many times a game that it gave JJ the worst defensive numbers of almost any ACC guard is simply ridiculous. JJ got beat plenty, he showed little effort plenty, despite his athleticism. He would shadow guys but not actually contest anything they did. He would lose his man with a simple pick. He would be lazy contesting the three ball. I will find clips if I have too. Judah was far from perfect but the numbers for JJ are not a result of Judahs play.
Foot speed foot speed foot speed. Multiple of us have said it time and time again JJ gets beat off the bounce, off the first cut, etc WAYYYY to much. Thats where the improvement needs to be made. Reaction time, positioning on top of the foot speed.

Out of 79 players that played at least 50% of minutes in 20 games Bell was 71st in defensive rating and JJ was 72nd. Bell was 75th in DPM and JJ was 78th. The only players near their level played at Louisville and Georgia Tech. Not company you want to keep.

This year Bart Torvik projects them to make minor improvement, but still in the bottom quartile of defenders.

Last edited:
Matt is 100% correct. The stats are definitely skewed against JJ. Multiple times per game last season JJ was back trying to defend two guys. You can't do that and get away with it playing decent teams, and it didn't work last year. The result is the metrics everyone loves to quote. Bell on the other hand, it is hard to disagree with. If he wasn't so good at blocking from behind we would have gone completely insane last year. He was just plain beat over and over and over...
That’s a fair post, especially regarding JJ needing to guard two positions. Fortunately both of them know they are perceived as being poor defenders. Hopefully that is motivation.

Just on every underneath out of bounds, not once in a while as a surprise, not a percentage of the time, but every single time so the other team can be sure to have prepared plays for it. :(
If there is one thing we need to change this season that is it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom