What would be different right now if Coleman was healthy? | Syracusefan.com

What would be different right now if Coleman was healthy?

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Just to make conversation.

What is this team like with and without Dajuan?

Began thinking about it more now that Jerami is hurt and our boy Rak seems to be consistently in foul trouble.

Less foul trouble, more box outs for rebounds, his huge frame would really help this team from giving up all these rebounds. We might even be getting a couple easy buckets down low each game. You can't teach size. I'm convinced we could use him right now. Our only big man that hasn't been hurt is Rak, and hes night and day. Our depth went from 9 playable guys to 6 now, if that.

He was starting to come into his own as a rebounder. A definite space eater and inside presence. Gives the team 5 more fouls from that position and allows Rak and Keita to play with more abandon. Hard to say how it would have evolved, but I do think he would have made a difference against BC and maybe Duke2 and last night.

Began thinking about it more now that Jerami is hurt and our boy Rak seems to be consistently in foul trouble.
Theres little way three centers were ever going to play. The only diff is DC could have stepped in when Baye was injured. But once Baye comes back.....

Gives the team 5 more fouls from that position and allows Rak and Keita to play with more abandon.

When they get in foul trouble, they become tentative and get bulldozed over.

15 fouls instead of 10 before you have to go small.

other than that...not much.

he was not a game changer.

Trueblue25 said:
Just to make conversation. What is this team like with and without Dajuan? Began thinking about it more now that Jerami is hurt and our boy Rak seems to be consistently in foul trouble.

Better against big teams. Little more rest for Rak. Less shot blocking.

Not sure he would have turned the corner on O however.

Huge. As in he is HUGE yesterday we were out muscled. With DC in the game that doesnt happen. I also think that having 5 more hammer fouls in the paint is a very good thing.

With DC2, Jerami is the sixth man coming off the bench...giving us a spark offensively, which we are currently lacking. Maybe he also doesn't wear down as much and have a sore back.

15 fouls instead of 10 before you have to go small.

other than that...not much.

he was not a game changer.
You have to be kidding. Having fifteen fouls at the center position changes the entire defensive strategy of games. You can be much more aggressive on defense, and have little worry about fouling out any one player at the position. It is just a huge advantage to have fifteen fouls available at the center position. You can physically beat up opposing centers, and you would have improved rebounding.

It would have kept Grant from having to play center. DC2 still wouldn't be playing more than 10 minutes a game. He's not a game changer.

Five extra fouls, even if he stayed healthy I think Jb would have stuck to giving rak and bmk most of the minutes.

Dont have the stats handy and doesnt mean it would have carried throughout the year but our offensive efficiency and numbers were much better with Coleman. Provides a ton of offensive rebounds and even if it is 3 or 4 minutes, grant was fresher and ready to attack when the starters were tired. Our numbers have dropped ever since he went out.

The fact that coleman allowed Grant to be a 6th man I think was huge.

Also Coleman's full rebounding skills have never been exploited on this team. I have no doubt he could average around 8 or so a game if he got starter mins (not saying he deserves them obviously).

Would've been nice to have him the last few weeks. He would've gotten quality PT when Keita was hurt, and with Christmas getting 2 fouls before the first TV timeout the last 3 games, it would've been nice to have another big body. As bad as Keita was yesterday, he definitely would've gotten minutes in that game...especially after Keita got stripped and jogged back on D. Boeheim was rightfully livid but he had nobody to put in for him.

I think it makes a big difference. 5 more fouls as everyone has pointed out. Prob good for 3-5 more rebounds per game and 2-4 points.

Takes a huge amount of pressure off Rak and BMK because now they don't have to worry about fouling out. Also takes pressure off Grant because with him Rak can slide over and play some time at the 4.

Losing anyone that is in the rotation reduces the options available to the coach and changes the dynamic of the team because those minutes have to go elsewhere. Coleman was one of the team's best rebounders and a developing offensive weapon, so losing him hurts, and not having him available has compounded the impact of the BMK and Grant injuries.

Would it help us to have DaJuan?
Sure.
But would help us a lot more to have Derrick Coleman.

Would DaJuan have changed the nature or outcome of any games?
Who knows...but seems doubtful.

I was thinking much the same thing. His injury has had a domino effect all the way to the guard spots now for the past 3 games and will continue.

other than 5 fouls. nothing

I'm not saying you're wrong but can you explain why Coleman has nothing to offer other than 5 fouls?

In my opinion he's the best rebounder of the three centers.
He's a better offensive presence than BMK.
He may not be offensively refined, but just having his body down low demands the defense's attention. He's a big boy that can board.

I think that having someone as big as Coleman down low, whether they have an offensive skill set or not, changes the dynamics of the opposing defense.

I still think BMK and Xmas would get the majority of the minutes of course. Just saying Coleman had his uses.

I'm not saying you're wrong but can you explain why Coleman has nothing to offer other than 5 fouls?

In my opinion he's the best rebounder of the three centers.
He's a better offensive presence than BMK.
He may not be offensively refined, but just having his body down low demands the defense's attention. He's a big boy that can board.

I think that having someone as big as Coleman down low, whether they have an offensive skill set or not, changes the dynamics of the opposing defense.

I still think BMK and Xmas would get the majority of the minutes of course. Just saying Coleman had his uses.

He has done nothing in 2 years that has excited me.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it's possible his bulk may have kept us somewhat from getting beat up inside by UVA. He brought a dimension (physicality) that we don't really have otherwise. It was a valuable change of pace for us.

For his own sake, he better be ready to go as soon as the practice doors open next fall. Absolute do-or-die situation for him from Day One of 2014-2015. I hope he develops, I really do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom