Whatever this team does at halftime | Syracusefan.com

Whatever this team does at halftime

The coaching staff has to carry a ton of blame here. Like what do we even do at halftime? Make zero adjustments and assume our opponents are going to do the same? Tell our guys to forget everything that worked in the first half and try to do something different? JB has been getting out-coached pretty badly almost this entire season.

I assume we smoke cigarettes, and drink whiskey.

Take a quick nap?

Maybe some marijuana and relaxing elevator music. Whatever we do it clearly has this team playing with an edge in the second half!

The coaching staff has to carry a ton of blame here. Like what do we even do at halftime? Make zero adjustments and assume our opponents are going to do the same? Tell our guys to forget everything that worked in the first half and try to do something different? JB has been getting out-coached pretty badly almost this entire season.
I think our coaching staff isn’t working. This model of hiring nothing but former SU guards is a detriment to our player development, especially with big men. I’d like to see a couple of them move on to other opportunities this year. Bring in some fresh guys.

I know it won’t happen, but it really needs to happen.

Isn’t working...

To your point - this is so discouraging I decided to see by the numbers what is happening. Taking our conference season we have:

Outscored opponents in 12/18 first halves with a total of +45pts in 1st halves. We have led at halftime in 7 of our last 8 games including UVA, UNC, and Duke.

Been outscored in 10/18 games in second halves by a total of 46pts. So as good in the first halves we have been, we have been equally poor in the second.

We have been outscored in 2nd halves by 10+ points 7 times in conference play - we done the same to our opponent only 3 times.

Sadly, this trend has gotten much worse recently (perhaps because we are facing a tougher schedule?) - as five of our last seven games we have been outscored in the 2nd half by 10+ points (for a total of 85 points... in seven games!). Do we wear down against tougher foes?

I don't know if it is a lack of effort, overconfidence at halftime, adjustments by the other team, or exposure of our lack of structured offense over a 40 minute game - whatever it is, it is certainly tough to watch.

This team is mentally soft. They fold like a bad tent when they face some adversity. They go against the game plan which worked in the first half time and time again.

in general it seems much more iso one-on-one ball the later it gets in the game...if battle is hot it can work...but as a go-to every-game plan it leaves a lot to be desired - especially with how often tyus gets gaurded out of the game/fouled without calls etc...

I am dumb-founded that the team hasn't realized that 1 on 1 is not the way to glory...that said, there are often several players on the court who cannot contribute/dribble/drive/pass and clog up the offense...so...

for whatever reason - it seems the substitutions and adjustments the team is making are often the wrong ones - unsure why - is it the players just folding under pressure? is the coaching decisions that are off?

We have been outscored in 2nd halves by 10+ points 7 times in conference play - we done the same to our opponent only 3 times...

I don't know if it is a lack of effort, overconfidence at halftime, adjustments by the other team, or exposure of our lack of structured offense over a 40 minute game - whatever it is, it is certainly tough to watch.
An uneducated guess: A decent opponent with a good coach just had a half to face the zone and see how it works.
They now see how it can be attacked in reality as opposed to the theory they may have practiced.
They adjust to what the Orange do.
Clemson did a nice job of that.

Teams just face guard our ball handlers. Simple. We don’t penetrate or pass well enough to overcome tight man defenses. And we don’t run an offense that works well against a pressure defense. Need a good PG and we don’t have one. Battle freelancing isn’t going to cut it.

I still suggest it could be like the film Basketball Diaries, in which they took the wrong pills:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom