What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's our backup plan if Battle and Brissett both leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure I've seen a leap, but not many from guys who literally can do nothing on the court.

Marek can pass pretty well and Moyer can dunk pretty well and rebound against bad team's. That's pretty much where it ends. They have a very long way to go to be meaningful contributors to this team.

Marek has shown the ability to be a good defender at times. Yes he’s gotten worked at times - GTech game comes to mind. But he’s shown he can block shots a bit, anticipate and get steals, good length, decent athlete, hustles, etc. 69% from the FT line and has made some jumpers at times, suggests he can become a decent shooter.

Sure I've seen a leap, but not many from guys who literally can do nothing on the court.

Marek can pass pretty well and Moyer can dunk pretty well and rebound against bad team's. That's pretty much where it ends. They have a very long way to go to be meaningful contributors to this team.

I think that's an incredibly pessimistic point of view, and one that doesn't have much basis frankly. I'd expect both of those players to be far better equipped to contribute next year and beyond, just as a function of normal developmental curves.

We'll see who is right next year.

I don't pretend to know what next year will look like, but instead of always looking at the glass as half empty you could look at the half full glass.

-There is a very good possibility that Sidibe comes back healthy and makes a big jump, including giving us offense in the post.
-There is a very good possibility that Dolezaj comes back with enough confidence to start taking and making the mid range jumper that we've seen on rare occasions this season.
-I'm willing to assume that we will get a solid contribution from Hughes.

If we lose OB, we still have three guys that can be the "horses". We really only need to find serviceable parts to put around them. Unlike this season there is a decent possibility that we will have those parts just in the fact that we should have more healthy bodies available. This team isn't nearly as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be if we had a healthy Sidibe and Thorpe. Neither guy would have been a star, but they would have given us legitimate options to give guys breaks and I think that would have made a difference in at least a couple of the stinkers that we came close, but not close enough in.

Yeah, because that is the norm.

Didn’t say it was. However, if you want to pretend like top 10 recruits are “unknowns” like it’s 1986 or something, I can point out something on the positive side.

The margin for error was small for a larger percentage of them.

While I don't disagree with them leaving it is odd that not one of them stayed while better players have stayed at other schools.
Better in whose opinion? Yours? So these guys at other schools were projected to go higher than ours in the draft and risked injury,sacrificed money for studying,etc. to stay in school?
Makes sense to me.

I think that's an incredibly pessimistic point of view, and one that doesn't have much basis frankly. I'd expect both of those players to be far better equipped to contribute next year and beyond, just as a function of normal developmental curves.

We'll see who is right next year.

I don't think it's pessimistic that two guys who've shown almost no ability to score to be competent next season. Some things take time especially when it comes to developing a new skill, I don't think it's out of bounds saying they don't have scoring skills.

Better in whose opinion? Yours? So these guys at other schools were projected to go higher than ours in the draft and risked injury,sacrificed money for studying,etc. to stay in school?
Makes sense to me.

Yes many players were projected higher than ours and stayed.

Your first comment was cute though, your second just shows that you really don't have a clue and almost not worth a response.

I don't think it's pessimistic that two guys who've shown almost no ability to score to be competent next season. Some things take time especially when it comes to developing a new skill, I don't think it's out of bounds saying they don't have scoring skills.

"No ability to score or be competent."

That's not only pessimistic, its wrong.

Bazley isn’t a particularly good 3 point shooter so that scares me a bit as outside of last year we are consistently one of the worst shooting teams in division 1. I’d rather he play the 4 and Hughes play the 3. We need someone at the 5 to be able to finish

Didn’t say it was. However, if you want to pretend like top 10 recruits are “unknowns” like it’s 1986 or something, I can point out something on the positive side.

And if you want to pretend that Bazley is Carmelo and going to just put the team on his back and lead us to a title than prepare to be disappointed.

"No ability to score or be competent."

That's not only pessimistic, its wrong.

Come on RF, you can't tell me they've shown anything on the offensive end with a straight face, if they did or were able to then we wouldn't be this bad.

I wish

2003 had one returning guy that averaged doubles the year before, 3 sophomores who averaged 4-6 ppg, and 3 freshmen coming in.

Now Bazley might have to be Carmelo for us to win it all...but he doesn’t have to be Carmelo for us to be a good, solid team. He just needs to play up to what he is.

2003 had one returning guy that averaged doubles the year before, 3 sophomores who averaged 4-6 ppg, and 3 freshmen coming in.

Now Bazley might have to be Carmelo for us to win it all...but he doesn’t have to be Carmelo for us to be a good, solid team. He just needs to play up to what he is.

Problem is the starting lineup was better in 03 and we had a damn good bench.

And if you want to pretend that Bazley is Carmelo and going to just put the team on his back and lead us to a title than prepare to be disappointed.

I thought the discussion was whether we’d be back on the bubble, not “will we win the national championship”.

A “bunch of unknowns” isn’t really how it goes in 2018. If we want to be technical about it, that’s a lot of teams in this era.

Come on RF, you can't tell me they've shown anything on the offensive end with a straight face, if they did or were able to then we wouldn't be this bad.

Good grief. Yes, they both have shown some ability to score.

And they both have showed that they can be "competent" contributors. When you start from the position that they are worthless and can't improve, I guess that explains your point of view.

I don't see us adding anyone in the spring capable of replacing the sort of game/ production Brissett brings. I am thrilled we offered Manuel but that's different.

Problem is the starting lineup was better in 03 and we had a damn good bench.

As it turns out, yeah. We didn’t know that in March 2002 though.

The more optimistic of us knew we were recruiting well and expected Carmelo, Gerry, and Edelin to be good, and knew Warrick had a lot of potential.

The negatives saw one established decent player coming back and a bunch of unknowns. I remember some guy trying to argue on these boards that Melo would probably come off the bench as he would have to beat out Duany to start at SF and how Boeheim wouldn’t want to start a freshman. Lol.

I thought the discussion was whether we’d be back on the bubble, not “will we win the national championship”.

A “bunch of unknowns” isn’t really how it goes in 2018. If we want to be technical about it, that’s a lot of teams in this era.

It was until you said 2003.

It was until you said 2003.

Just an example of a team with one double figure scorer back, a bunch of sophs that averaged 5 points per game on an NIT team, and some freshmen.

How about 2010? We had our starting center back, a senior shooter off the bench, and a bunch of young players and new guys.

Say Bazley has the same impact as Battle and Carey has the same impact as Brissett. Howard is slightly improved. It’s not a much different team than this year.

This isn’t 2005. You can’t win with 1.5 shooters.

Brissett may be best off leaving this year if he projects as a top 20 pick.

That’s just being realistic in today’s world.

However, if both of them leave It’s time to panic. Brissett’s going to be the difference of this team being top 25 or potentially sucking again. Hes a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.