What's the best comeback you remember? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's the best comeback you remember?

wow. i dont recall being down 18 at the half! but i do remember the ending.

I believe Quincy Douby and Ricky Shields went off that night.

And the best part about the game was after Trob's shot (a terrible shot by the way) his mom gave him a mink coat that he wore in the post game interviews. it was very insane.

That was a different game. The big comeback game was at Rutgers. We were down huge. I was about to smash the TV. Then they threw on the trunk monkey coming out of the locker room at halftime and it was a dunk show for like 5 minutes until we tied it up and then went on to win.

I think you are talking about that game in the dome (also against Rutgers, iirc) where TRob won the game on a 3 pointer at the buzzer, which I still can't believe actually happened.

Billy and Josh

And GMac pulling a Hulk Hogan where he was awful, we're down huge, and then they smashed Gerry into the scorers table or something, he comes up all fake-wrestling bleeding from the face and proceeds to dagger them for the rest of the game.

The all time best was that great uk team against lsu, don't remember exactly,but I think they were down 30 in the 2nd half. For Su I would say the 03 tournament against osu, I really thought our season was over,and melo would leave without even getting to a sweet 16. I was at the rutgers game, actually said to my friend I think we are going to comeback and win.

i believe it was jeremy mcneil named player of the game.

mcneil played 32 minutes that game and only scored 4 pts but he was the difference anchoring the press.

Last edited:
I've always been partial to Pee Wee Herman's "I know you are but what am I" comeback. That's always effective.

But seriously, Oklahoma State 2003 because it led to the greatest sporting moment in most of our lives.

Haha, I was going to name the UK/LSU game. Utterly amazing. I'm not going to look it up for fun, but when I retell that story UK was down 50-10 at halftime! They were probably down 25 or something.

LSU scored the first 18 points out of halftime to take a 31 point lead with 15 mins and 30 seconds to go. UK then scored 24 of the next 28 points and was still down by 8.

Kentucky won 99-95 game was Feb. 16 1994

We had a 14 point second half comeback to beat Providence the same night.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/16/sports/basketball-down-31-kentucky-makes-record-rally.html

That was a different game. The big comeback game was at Rutgers. We were down huge. I was about to smash the TV. Then they threw on the trunk monkey coming out of the locker room at halftime and it was a dunk show for like 5 minutes until we tied it up and then went on to win.

I think you are talking about that game in the dome (also against Rutgers, iirc) where TRob won the game on a 3 pointer at the buzzer, which I still can't believe actually happened.

This makes more sense, I could have sworn the Roberts game was my senior year, which would have been 2006, not 2005.

For the life of me I can't remember the Rutgers game in 05 though.

Kansas coming back from down 9 with two minutes left against Memphis in the 2008 title game.

I guess I remember the hard losses more than the miraculous victories, but I can't think of many games when SU came back from double digit deficits to win.

In 2005 we were down at Rutgers by 18 at halftime and won by two, 86-84, on a late 3 point play by Terrence Roberts.

Any others?

Syracuse coming back down double digits to a top 4 Georgetown team in 1989. Sherman Douglas's last game in the Dome, last game of the regular season. We'd lost something like 6 games in a row to the hated hoyas. We stormed back in the second half, and I've never heard the Dome rocking louder. I've probably watched that game 100 times on tape / DVD. It is truly a classic, for those who haven't seen it.

Best game I've ever attended live. Bar none.

Last edited:
Just thought of another one - and I was at this game! Can't believe our comeback against Kansas at the Sprint Center didn't come immediately to my mind. Down by 13 with about 14 minutes in the second half - and JB goes man to man to spur the comeback to take it to overtime where we won by 8. That was pretty sweet going by all those KU fans with my Orange gear on the way out. I got some dirty looks for some reason.

The best ones have already been named.

We fell short due to a bizarre Nichols missed layup, but we had a huge comeback against Wichita State. We were down by 20 with 8-9 minutes left. We went on a 21-2 run to tie it, and would've won if Nichols(who was awful that game) made the layup.

SU vs. Missouri 1994 sweet 16. came from way back to tie it at the end, but Autry's shot from the knees in the lane was waved off & we faded in OT.

Just thought of another one - and I was at this game! Can't believe our comeback against Kansas at the Sprint Center didn't come immediately to my mind. Down by 13 with about 14 minutes in the second half - and JB goes man to man to spur the comeback to take it to overtime where we won by 8. That was pretty sweet going by all those KU fans with my Orange gear on the way out. I got some dirty looks for some reason.

I forgot about that one - good reference.

ah you are correct. I remember the big comeback @rutgers (a few of them) and the 3 at the dome by TROB.

However, I wasn't confused... I think you proved me right. I was responding to another poster who talked about being down at the half by 18 and winning on a late 3 by TRob.

Unless there were 2 3's by Trob - which I don't think is possible.

ah you are correct. I remember the big comeback @rutgers (a few of them) and the 3 at the dome by TROB.

However, I wasn't confused... I think you proved me right. I was responding to another poster who talked about being down at the half by 18 and winning on a late 3 by TRob.

Unless there were 2 3's by Trob - which I don't think is possible.

Holy crap. we won 86-84 against Rutgers 2 years in a row!?

no way Trob hit game winning 3's in both did he?!

I know he did at the dome.

PoppyHart said:
Since this only got 2 likes I'm guessing that most of you would not call it a comeback?

Hell no, I don't call it a comeback. He's been here for years.

LSU scored the first 18 points out of halftime to take a 31 point lead with 15 mins and 30 seconds to go. UK then scored 24 of the next 28 points and was still down by 8.

Kentucky won 99-95 game was Feb. 16 1994

We had a 14 point second half comeback to beat Providence the same night.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/02/16/sports/basketball-down-31-kentucky-makes-record-rally.html

Kentucky was hung over from the non-comeback beating we administered to them four days earlier in the Dome: http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Games/19940212Syracuse.html

Syracuse coming back down double digits to a top 4 Georgetown team in 1989. Sherman Douglas's last game in the Dome, last game of the regular season. We'd lost something like 6 games in a row to the hated hoyas. We stormed back in the second half, and I've never heard the Dome rocking louder. I've probably watched that game 100 times on tape / DVD. It is truly a classic, for those who haven't seen it.

Best game I've ever attended live. Bar none.

Once more:
Edit: skip ahead to 1:18:05 to see possibly the all-time best example of Fired-Up Boeheim.

Last edited:
Once more:
Edit: skip ahead to 1:18:05 to see possibly the all-time best example of Fired-Up Boeheim.

Great tape of a great game. Jimmy looks like a teenager. A young Mike Tirico at the end, as well. The opening clip of the previous year's game showed one of the most heartbreaking defeats I've ever experienced. Sherman Douglas hits what appears to be the winner than Charles Smith, (whom Mike Lupica had a man crush on) tops him. The Hoyas beat us in New York the next week but we swept them the next year, including our first ever win in their place and the game where John Thompson got ejected in the Dome. We dominated the series after that. This game proved we could press when we wanted to. I love Packer's comment that JB's speech to the fans "is what an angry coach sounds like in the locker room". :):p:D

Also: the graphic at the end says we were the first team to draw a half million fans to their home games. We drew 537,949 to 19 home games that eyar, an average of 28,313. The next year we averaged 29,919, the NCAA record but had only 16 home games. So we've got the total record and the per game record. They many have just been counting tickets sold but in that era, those fannies were in the seats. I know because I had one of them.

Last edited:
The best comeback ever: Lady Astor, the first female member of parliament, and Winston Churchill were having an acrimonious debate. She became so exasperated with Churchill's intransigence that she announced "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your tea!" Churchill, without looking up, replied, "Madame, if you were my wife I would drink it."

As far as basketball comebacks I remember in the Pearl era, we were down 18 in the second half at Villanova and won by 18.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom