What's the best comeback you remember? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What's the best comeback you remember?

Once more:
Edit: skip ahead to 1:18:05 to see possibly the all-time best example of Fired-Up Boeheim.

Thanks, OttoMets--I got sucked into watching about 15 minutes of the second half. Captivating comeback. Man, both teams were LOADED--so much talent on the floor for BOTH teams...

The best comeback ever: Lady Astor, the first female member of parliament, and Winston Churchill were having an acrimonious debate. She became so exasperated with Churchill's intransigence that she announced "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your tea!" Churchill, without looking up, replied, "Madame, if you were my wife I would drink it."

As far as basketball comebacks I remember in the Pearl era, we were down 18 in the second half at Villanova and won by 18.
Oh wow didn't see that you posted this SORRY!
The best comeback ever: Lady Astor, the first female member of parliament, and Winston Churchill were having an acrimonious debate. She became so exasperated with Churchill's intransigence that she announced "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your tea!" Churchill, without looking up, replied, "Madame, if you were my wife I would drink it."

As far as basketball comebacks I remember in the Pearl era, we were down 18 in the second half at Villanova and won by 18.
So here's another.

Winston Churchill was one of the world’s wittiest people. Attending a party in London, Churchill once again was drunk and intoxicated. An obviously extremely astute woman from Parliament, like Nancy Astor (the first entry), apparently was irritated by Churchill’s mannerisms. When she finally had enough, she came up to him and yelled: “Winston, you’re drunk!” He may have been drunk but that apparently didn’t affect his cognitive functions as he merely replied:

“You’re right Bessie, and you’re ugly. But tomorrow morning, I’ll be sober.”

I just went and looked up all of these; Georgetown opened up 14-0 and we went on a 67-33 run.

We also shot 53% from the floor and has 18 assists on 24 made baskets. Damn I miss that team.

when that team was "on" there was nobody close to them. the cal and unc games at msg, at nd, gtown and nova at dome. incredible team.

Holy crap. we won 86-84 against Rutgers 2 years in a row!?

no way Trob hit game winning 3's in both did he?!

I know he did at the dome.

the game where trob hit the 3 at the buzzer was 2006 at the dome. the game where we were down 18 at half and came back in 2nd half with the trunk monkey was 2005 at rutgers. i remember that game well, it was my bday and i taped the game, came home at like midnite and watched it drunk not knowing the result. im pretty sure in that game trob had a 3 point play late that gave us the lead. not a 3 pointer but an "and 1". quincy douby rimmed out on a 3 from the corner at buzzer that would have won it for them.

Jackson's senior season, 2011
#3 Syracuse @ #5 Pitt

Pitt jumps out to a 19 to nothing start; then Syracuse storms back with 17 straight points. Syracuse would tie the game at 41, but never lead, lost 74-66. I consider it a great comeback, even though it ended in a loss.

I guess I remember the hard losses more than the miraculous victories, but I can't think of many games when SU came back from double digit deficits to win.

In 2005 we were down at Rutgers by 18 at halftime and won by two, 86-84, on a late 3 point play by Terrence Roberts.

Any others?

I remember Syracuse (specifically Lucios Jackson, who make 6 threes in the last 6 minutes) come back to beat Nova in the Spectrum after being down 18 at the under 8 TO.

http://www.cuse.com/sports/2006/6/27/novamb94_1.aspx?id=3026

The OK St. game in t2003 ourney they were down 17. *that team had a lot of 10 point plus comebacks as I recall)

Last edited:
With everyone giving their favorite comebacks, my most memorable comeback was one that we lost. In 2 days it will be 40 years when JB was the assistant coach to Roy Danforth. On February 8th, 1975 at Manley, SU hosted West Virginia. SU goes up by 20 at the half. There's a WVU fan directly behind me and I taunt him mercilessly throughout the game. My best ever trash-talking effort. However, WVU comes back in the second half and wins 84-81. That WVU fan follows me out of Manley, through the parking lot, and part-way back to campus giving me crap the whole way. I hate WVU...

Vs. Depaul in 2010??? Down 18. Maybe the most unnecessary comeback candidate. I think this win got us the #1 ranking???

This is a weird answer, because we were only down by about 7 in the second half, but the win at Louisville in 2013 was an unreal comeback. That game felt over after Russ Smith stripped MCW for about the tenth time with 5-6 minutes left, but Triche willed the team back. Best regular season win of the past few years.

I guess I remember the hard losses more than the miraculous victories, but I can't think of many games when SU came back from double digit deficits to win.

In 2005 we were down at Rutgers by 18 at halftime and won by two, 86-84, on a late 3 point play by Terrence Roberts.

Any others?
Churchill: Yes, madam, I am drunk. And you are ugly. Tomorrow I shall be sober.

(Or so the story goes.)

Oh wow didn't see that you posted this SORRY!
So here's another.

Winston Churchill was one of the world’s wittiest people. Attending a party in London, Churchill once again was drunk and intoxicated. An obviously extremely astute woman from Parliament, like Nancy Astor (the first entry), apparently was irritated by Churchill’s mannerisms. When she finally had enough, she came up to him and yelled: “Winston, you’re drunk!” He may have been drunk but that apparently didn’t affect his cognitive functions as he merely replied:

“You’re right Bessie, and you’re ugly. But tomorrow morning, I’ll be sober.”
Sorry. I didn't see your post, and told the same story below.

I recall another game about 20 years ago where SU was down by 18 at Villanova, and stormed back to win with the help of a barrage of 3 pointers; mostly by Luke Jackson.

This is a weird answer, because we were only down by about 7 in the second half, but the win at Louisville in 2013 was an unreal comeback. That game felt over after Russ Smith stripped MCW for about the tenth time with 5-6 minutes left, but Triche willed the team back. Best regular season win of the past few years.

52-51, 7 points was a lot.

I recall another game about 20 years ago where SU was down by 18 at Villanova, and stormed back to win with the help of a barrage of 3 pointers; mostly by Luke Jackson.

Yea, it isn't just me. I watched this game in a hospital room at SUNY Upstate with a friend whose child had fallen gravely ill. At the time it was a huge boost to everyones morale. I believe it is the most points in the shortest time. 18 points down at the under 8. Luke Jackson was as on fire as GMac in the first half of 2003. Even more so. I do believe he made all 6 threes in about 10 actual minutes. .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom